Need your experienced eyes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I live on the
Wisconsin and Illinois boarder in Kenosha. This truck has been for sale for quite a while.. He started at $6500.. It looked pretty decent for a truck around here. You just can't find them. I paid $4800 for mine a couple of years ago in Chicago. I would say go for it as long as the title is good.

All of the vins match. I looked at that. Frame, title, plates all the same.The title looks good. I ran vin in stollen vehicle database. It came back good.
Thanks for all your input. Did you look at it in person? If so did you drive it? Just wondering if it would make it the 60 miles I need to drive it home.

For the drive... Drive it in High range, Low range, and around sharp corners with hubs engaged but 2wd.

Listen for clunks, bangs, clicking, weird noises.

Rear jump seats are not a straight bolt in job in this case. The roll bar is a dealer installed Smittybilt that was very common in the early 70s before roll bars were stock. To install the jump seats you'll need a set of brackets as the bar doesn't allow them to be mounted using the stock holes. SOR used to sell a kit and may still.

It looks like a solid truck despite the jeep mirrors and a few other issues.

1. The roof needs some work to make it water tight i.e. gutters and new weather seals.
2. Windshield weather seal probably needs to be replaced
3. Tranny oil leaks
4. TREs need to be replaced
5. Steering knuckles need to be rebuilt
6. Check brakes
7. Flush brake fluid
8. Check brake master cylinder
9. Check clutch master and slave cylinders and flush system

Thanks for all the help and support everyone. Happy to report I am the proud new owner of something that will hopefully one day bring myself and my family much joy.

Towing it back home with my FJ Cruiser now and in a 5 minute stop off the highway to check the trailer and grab a drink, already had someone snapping pictures of my FJ's.

Looking forward to participating in the community.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help and support everyone. Happy to report I am the proud new owner of something that will hopefully one day bring myself and my family much joy.

Towing it back home with my FJ Cruiser now and in a 5 minute stop off the highway to check the trailer and grab a drink, already had someone snapping pictures of my FJ's.

Looking forward to participating in the community.

Thanks again.

That didn't happen until we see pics.
Since this has some mods already, I would recommend, after brake and steering checks, that you go with a forward facing trail max II type seat for the kids. Drive it for awhile before doing anything else. Enjoy it first!

We need pics!

As stated before, but got to say again, at least make sure tranny, transfer and diffs are full of gear lube before you go anywhere in it. And I too am curious I think it's the stock 3 speed and transfer isn't it and not the 4 speed? and it still retains the vacuum 4wd engagement? Looks like pretty good shape for age.

Welcome to MUD and welcome to the FJ40 madness. As you have already seen, the level of knowledge here is tremendous and these people will give you more help than you ever dreamed of. In my short two years on MUD, I have relied on their opinions and help and not once have I been steered wrong. Good luck with the 40, they are a rugged and special truck that will give many years of service with care. BTW I am finishing up a 2 year work on my 40, not stock by any means but brought up to new standards, and I love it.

Finally, here is the proof. Haven't had a chance to do anything yet after towing it home other than purchasing a new battery to get it started. Rolled it out today just to get the photo. Thanks again for all the help. There is so much I don't know right now and I am just trying to figure it all out.

DSC08577 (1).jpg

Finally, here is the proof. Haven't had a chance to do anything yet after towing it home other than purchasing a new battery to get it started. Rolled it out today just to get the photo. Thanks again for all the help. There is so much I don't know right now and I am just trying to figure it all out.

View attachment 1317469
Looking good! Don't worry we are here to help you all the way through completion!

OK - hoping you can help me with a couple of what may be quick questions for you guys. @upperblack pointed out it is not the original carb

1. Can anyone identify what kind of carb it is?
2. On the attached photo - can you tell me where this hose should be plugged into?
It came with an air filter like the one in this post -
Need Downey air filter help - 76 FJ40
I am wondering if it is supposed to plug into the hole on the bottom of that air filter to draw clean air into the engine

Thanks for any help.

DSC08701.jpg

Carb looks like a variation of a 2 barrel Holley carb, not the same one as on my 72 but similar. That while plastic elbow can be mounted to the underside of the aircleaner. Go back to the thread you linked and look closely at picture with the top lid of the aircleaner off. It shows a hole drilled in the bottom of the filter hosing for the vent hose.
HTH,
Will

Carb looks like a variation of a 2 barrel Holley carb, not the same one as on my 72 but similar. That while plastic elbow can be mounted to the underside of the aircleaner. Go back to the thread you linked and look closely at picture with the top lid of the aircleaner off. It shows a hole drilled in the bottom of the filter hosing for the vent hose.
HTH,
Will
Thanks. I saw that, but just wanted to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom