Glow Plug Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a HJ47 (2H) that is having glow plug problems, I knew the old ones were on the way out so I replaced them and now I cant get the cruiser to start. I replaced the old ones for exactly the same ones (6V).

During the troubleshooting I pulled apart and cleaned (sanded clean) all of the resistor units and Im certain that they are back together correctly - but not sure its working.

So 2 questions

1. Any ideas what has gone wrong? or what I should do to repair this system form here?

2. Can I replace the whole glow system with 11v glow plugs out of a later landcruiser and just use a switch and relay? If so how large a relay do I need for 6 plugs.

Thanks for any advice.

Do you have fusible links at the battery? Check them, especially if you left the battery connected while doing the work on the plugs.

I have replaced the fusable links with circuit breakers and they are all still connected and fine.

I have ran up and down the glow system and Im still lost with whats wrong.

Do you have a voltmeter to monitor your voltage at the glow plug bus bar and a DC clip-on ammeter to monitor your glow plug current draw?..

:beer:

x2 on checking the bus bar. I have accidentally grounded it out before more that once. Also... Water temp gauge can affect glow plugs if faulty. Get out your voltmeter and start poking s***.

I am getting 0.8-1V on the bus bar.

But i noticed that the rear resistor is getting very hot while glowing?

any ideas?

I am getting 0.8-1V on the bus bar.

But i noticed that the rear resistor is getting very hot while glowing?

any ideas?

It's "superglow" and your plugs are 6V. To heat these plugs SUPERFAST, your Toyota "Superglow system" should be feeding them excess voltage briefly at the start of your preheat period. (ie. As soon as you turn your key to the "On/motor-run" position but prior to cranking).

By "excess voltage" I mean "significantly greater than 6V".

It should then drop your voltage down to somewhere near your plug rating of 6V. which is enough to keep your plugs glowing but not eenough to overheat them (and burn them out).

So.....

If the best you get is 1 volt at your bus bar then you need to trace back to see where the voltage is being lost - which could be a poor connection, damaged contact points in a relay, or whatever.

It is normal for the "dropping resistor" to heat up because that's what lowers the voltage for the second preheat stage.

Hope this helps.

Im really over this superglow system - too complicated for an old landcruiser.

If I install 11V plugs can I run them at 12v straight from the battery? (ie simple, single relay, push button switch system)

will the 11v plugs die really quickly?

I switched to the 10.5 volt plugs many years ago and dumped my super glow. I went to the wilson switch. I did not touch my resistor on the bus bar. Just stuck in the 10.5 volt plugs ( I have 12 volt cruiser) and ran the push button. I have had no issues in 10 years with these plugs.

The "key" is to dump the super glow controller asap. The 11 volt plugs won't die at all. They can glow forever, especially with the resister still there, as they are not running at full voltage. They consume more juice, but work all the same. That is why I did the 10.5, essentially the same as the 11 V.

I don't use my cruiser in winter anymore. If I did I guess removing the resister would have been better to get hotter plugs. But I don't believe in using cruisers in winter (salt). These are too old and special to be eaten away doing mundane life commutes.

I'm also using the stock fender relay. It handles the current just fine.

So you still run the resistor?

I was going to run the 11v plugs without any resistor straight of a relay - I want to stuff of all of the old relays and sensors ect.

Thanks for your help!

Yah my resister is still there. It only lowers the voltage to the plugs. So while they don't get as hot, they last longer.

Certainly you can remove the resister and run it straight to the busbar using 11 volt plugs.

I glow 10-15 seconds, crank and fire, and hold the glow for another 10-15 when first running. I release the glow for the crank. I can get smoke free starts and smooth idle with this.

Even with the resister.

I don't even know how much the resister lowers the voltage. easy enough to check, but you need to disconnect the glow plugs first. Put the main 12 volts (but measure as it may be over 12) to the resister and see what comes out the other side.

Like I said I don't try to start my cruiser in -20 C. Unless plugged in... But I don't use my cruiser in the winter months. It stays in my yard.

Yah my resister is still there. It only lowers the voltage to the plugs. So while they don't get as hot, they last longer..........

I'm surprised to hear of anyone running a Wilson Preheat System while keeping a dropping reisistor in the circuit.

If you're worried about plug life, then instead of using old-style 10.5V or 11V plugs, why not copy @Gengis /George and choose the newer dual-coil/self-limiting plugs:
Bosch Duraterm glow plugs for a B or 3B

Last edited:
So I dont need to use the resistor? How long can I expect plugs to last without it?

What model came out with 11v plugs - so i know what to buy.

So I dont need to use the resistor? How long can I expect plugs to last without it?...

I'd expect you to get many years (or however long the plug manufacturer thinks their plugs will last under normal use).

But then again - some faults, such as incorrect injection timing, can reduce plug life ... so this is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

:)

How much current will a 11v glow plug use?

basically im asking how big a relay i need to run the 6 glow plugs?

How much current will a 11v glow plug use?

basically im asking how big a relay i need to run the 6 glow plugs?

I'd expect around 10A per plug so that's 60A for 6.

Thanks Marbles. I have a 120A relay in the shed.

I have ordered the glow plugs - Now I get to spend the weekend removing as much of the superglow system as I can.

To seal the intake manifold can I just plug the resistor holes with short bolts?

From the FAQ Part numbers thread. I used the 10.5 NGK plugs.

Glow Plug Numbers

Manual 12V

10.5V for a 12V Cruiser
1980/10 – 1981/10 Cdn Spec BJ60
Toyota=19850-68010 12V-10.5V
Nippon Denso=067100-1330
NGK 7493 (Y-147T old number)
Bosch 0250 202 058

8.5V plugs for a 12V Cruiser
Toyota 19850-68030 12V-8.5V
NGK Y-128T
ND 067100-1350
APS 5013
EIKO GT208
JKT PT104
MAY PT104

Manual 24V

1980/08 – 1981/10 BJ42
1978/03 – 1980/06 BJ40
Toyota=19850-68040 24V-20.3V
Nippon Denso=067100-1161
NGK 3030 (Y-178T old number)
Bosch ???

Superglow 12V

1981/10 – 1985/10 BJ60
1984/11 – 1986/08 BJ70
Toyota=19850-68050 (51) 12V-6V
Nippon Denso=067100-1680
NGK ???
Bosch GPT-214
HKT PT-146 QGS type
Champion CH-125

Superglow 24V

1986/08 --> BJ70
1985/10 --> HJ60
1981/10 – 1984/10 BJ42
Toyota=19850-68060 24V-14V
Nippon Denso=067100-1460
NGK 2188 (Y-197R old number)
Bosch 0250 202 076

...To seal the intake manifold can I just plug the resistor holes with short bolts?

Whatever works... It maybe easiest just to leave those components in place unconnected. They'll do no harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom