RTH - How to get my '91 back home? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '91 FJ80 with a blown head gasket stuck in Ellensburg, Wa.

The garage in Ellensburg wants two grand for the HG job but they don't really want to do it (300,000 plus miles on the vehicle) and would rather put in a used 3FE for $4,500. I can't afford either right now as I have a bunch of medical bills coming in from a bit of a heart attack I had three weeks ago.

So I need to get it home (137 miles, Hansville, Wa. near Kingston). It doesn't look like I can get any truck trailer rental combo's that will haul a LandCruiser, and I am having trouble getting a solid legitimate quote from any of the transport companies.

Any ideas?

Have you considered hiring a tow truck? You are pretty stuck. I'm betting the shipping companies want a running vehicle that they can drive on some trailer.
uship.com maybe?

Do as @9780LC suggests. I've had to be towed on a flatbed from Blewett Pass before and all was good with AAA and that was about 105 miles.

Good luck,
Salue

I think it's AAA platinum you would need for that distance.

Cheers,
Salue

Yes to AAA premium. Should cost about $100. They will tow up to 200 miles in one trip. To wherever you want it towed.

Correct

AAA Premier includes the same services as AAA Plus, and more:

• One 200-Mile Tow Per Year
  • $100 Home Lockout Reimbursement
  • Trip Interruption Travel Insurance
  • Emergency Breakdown Rental Car
  • 24-Hour Global Travel Emergency & Concierge Service
  • Complimentary Passport Photos
It's $147.00 here in Oregon for one year.

Did they give you the compression numbers? 137 miles luckily is not cross country. I $2k for the HG is about what I paid when all said and done. The devil (engine) you knownis always better.

I would look around your home town area for a local wrecker company that is willing to make the trip. Most small business owners will let you ride along on a job like this. You can see that everything is handled right, buy the driver lunch, whatever. Your only a couple of hours away from your rig. Pay partial amount up front or deposit a credit card so they know they are not getting stiffed.

I have AAA plus, which gives you 100 miles, 3 or 4 tows per year. Premier like others have said gives you 200.

Maybe try U Ship and let people with a trailer bid on it?

Do you have access to a pickup truck or SUV that you could go rent a U Haul Transporter and tow it back home?

Thanks for all the suggestions on AAA. Signed up for Premier tonight, by the time I can get back to Ellensburg next week the waiting period will be up and I should be good to go.

Looks like another fun project coming up in the near future. Don't need a compression test I could hear and see the water oozing back by #6 and when I turned it over with the plug out I got a face full of very hot water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom