Heater Relay Electrical Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha 24v family! I have an '86 HJ60 where the low and medium-low fan speeds don't work on the AC/heater controller. I have identified the problem and have a way forward to fix it (thanks to the great threads, posts and advice from @87 HJ60 @hj 60 and @roalco to name a few). But I had a couple specific questions about this fix.
From what I've read, I need two 1.5 ohm resistors soldered to the existing posts in a specific sequence. But how many watts should the 1.5 ohm resistor be? Also read that lead solder is best to use, but will any type of solder be sufficient for this fix?
Sorry for the basic questions, I know very little about electrical systems and have never soldered before. But I have a new soldering iron, have the old resistor removed, and am willing to listen and learn how to fix this myself.
Here are some pictures of the resistor that was removed and the beautiful HJ60 it came out of. Thanks for any advice!!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't use plumbing solder unless you thoroughly wash off the acidic flux. Better is to find rosin core intended for electrical.
As for wattage, you'll need something fairly high. It might be worth looking through digikey website for a resistor that is about the same size and type. This will take some time but they will have it in stock and shipping is fairly reasonable. Thats where i'd start anyway.

It might be something like this but I strictly guessed at the wattage:
I searched Resistor, 50W, 1.5 ohm and narrowed it to 22 items.

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...ronics-inc/KAL50FB1R50/KAL50FB1R50-ND/1646195

I'd think that if they are about the same physical size and you put them in the airflow then they will be OK. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable for this specific vehicle will chime in.

Don't use plumbing solder unless you thoroughly wash off the acidic flux. Better is to find rosin core intended for electrical.
Sorry, should have been more specific, the Solder wire I currently have is labeled: 60%sn-2.0%Flux-1mm dia.- 0.71 Oz

If it says "lead free" or "acid core" i would not use it. I prefer the 60/40 Sn/Pb Rosin Core. Any diameter within reason.

The part is available if you don't want to mess with this stuff.

:lol:
I didn't know that, thought all the threads on this workaround was because it was NLA. I will email you about adding it to my order if that's possible. Thanks!

Any chance you recall the part number used on this? I haver a 24v BJ75 that has AC added to it, and the blower motor resistor is no longer the stock one, but looks almost identical to the one you have in the pictures above. Trying to find a new one.
@Onur I see you are retired as a parts geek, @Aloha Jen what are the chances you still have the part number from the package/invoice?

Thank you.

Any chance you recall the part number used on this? I haver a 24v BJ75 that has AC added to it, and the blower motor resistor is no longer the stock one, but looks almost identical to the one you have in the pictures above. Trying to find a new one.
@Onur I see you are retired as a parts geek, @Aloha Jen what are the chances you still have the part number from the package/invoice?

Thank you.
There is one for sale here and also has the part number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom