80 series tailgate storage (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@reevesci , looking forward to seeing what you come up with as far as pricing and availability......

Noah,

If I'm happy with the pricing from my cutter I will more than likely order 10-15 of each. That will help get the $ down a little further as well. Turnaround is usually around a three week lead time (+/- a week)

Jason

Just curious about your dismissal of the socallove lids....They work very well and IMO, are a solid value. In addition, he is proactively working on 100 series, 60 series, and rear quarter panel storage. Something weird or unethical going on?

I never heard a person who has had a glowing review (or any review - if there's a thread on his lids, I missed it), and his product seems like a copy of Kevin's stuff. It just seems like "intellectual property theft". I don't want to make a 'thing' of this, I just expect like the Hanna bumper thing, the wait is long forgotten & I still like his sliders/bumper best - to the point I'd pull them if I was to sell the black 80.

And for the pricetag we're talking - for me the options are just Kevin or maybe Reeves. Reeves I can see he made some real changes vs a Wagongear setup - so there really is a clear reason to choose either one based on design differences.

If Socallove is making a new quarterpanel storage product, that's a different story & wish him all the best, but Kevin is the "been there, done that" guy for 60 & 80 tailgate lids. Socal's lids may be great in all aspects, but I'm cool waiting for Wagongear setup, or a Reeves if I think it through & decide 2 doors has merit for my use.

I'm real interested in seeing a final product of Reeve's! - seeing the option of a 2 door lid, if it has a inner divider or not, etc.

I never heard a person who has had a glowing review (or any review - if there's a thread on his lids, I missed it), and his product seems like a copy of Kevin's stuff. It just seems like "intellectual property theft". I don't want to make a 'thing' of this, I just expect like the Hanna bumper thing, the wait is long forgotten & I still like his sliders/bumper best - to the point I'd pull them if I was to sell the black 80.

And for the pricetag we're talking - for me the options are just Kevin or maybe Reeves. Reeves I can see he made some real changes vs a Wagongear setup - so there really is a clear reason to choose either one based on design differences.

If Socallove is making a new quarterpanel storage product, that's a different story & wish him all the best, but Kevin is the "been there, done that" guy for 60 & 80 tailgate lids. Socal's lids may be great in all aspects, but I'm cool waiting for Wagongear setup, or a Reeves if I think it through & decide 2 doors has merit for my use.

I'm real interested in seeing a final product of Reeve's! - seeing the option of a 2 door lid, if it has a inner divider or not, etc.

Just because a "product" has been introduced here on MUD doesn't mean it hasn't been thought of and made somewhere else and previously used and sold..... A few years ago I was showing off my tailgate lid to a guy on my jobsite. He was from Cape Town and said he's seen a similar product since the 90s on 80 model cruisers. He and his family have been driving cruisers since the 60s and they have been members of a Land Cruiser club since the mid 90s. They moved to the states in 2004 IIRC. I had to dig back into my emails and pics to find this, but according to him he remembered this lid from 1996, that's PRE-MUD and before Kevin, Socallove or me.

If I can find the mans contact info I will ask him if he can remember the person/company this picture was from. The dual door has been made before and continues to be sold overseas. That 100 lid pic I posted is from a vendor of mine in Germany and he said its been available since 1998.

Gull wing windows have been around for years as well. Started on the Rovers from African Outback if memory serves correctly.

SA Tailgate 80.jpg

Gull wing windows on a Rover.

gull wing.png

Also, if you look at the pic it has storage drawers too. Wonder when those where copied and introduced by someone else.

J

Last edited:
I really did't want to go down this road & even thought about ignoring that post about my comment. In the end it's just my opinion & we all know the cash value of one of those.

I honestly hadn't thought much about the whole thing until that one guy who was blatently copying Slee's caster plates & selling on eBay a few years back.

Then the guy who copied the LCA's Rick makes (CaliFab?) - it just got me thinking & on that tangent at a certain point.

And yours I've no issue with, you are making options never before offered (that I know of, and clearly you know these far more than me).

95% of the products vendored by members are unique in some facet - the one place currently that seems the 5% is Wagongear vs. Socallove's

I appreciate the education, prior to Mud when we were on Spectre I don't recall any tailgate lids ever discussed, but I'm far from an early adopter when it comes to 80's.

If they came out here in 1991 it was near a decade before I got ahold of mine in 2000.

In the end it's just my opinion, Kevin or yours are where my cash goes - but interesting to hear these lids were around long before Wagongear esp since I never recall talk prior to Kevin's back on Spectre's board.

As for drawers (and rear window access ports - I know nothing there), I seem to think someone sold them - but those would be a "build" item to me mainly due to $$$ of a prebuilt. Heck, good drawer slider hinges are an investment.

At any rate, I'm interested to see your final outcome, everything you've posted I've always thought was quality.

I really did't want to go down this road & even thought about ignoring that post about my comment. In the end it's just my opinion & we all know the cash value of one of those.

I honestly hadn't thought much about the whole thing until that one guy who was blatently copying Slee's caster plates & selling on eBay a few years back.

Then the guy who copied the LCA's Rick makes (CaliFab?) - it just got me thinking & on that tangent at a certain point.

And yours I've no issue with, you are making options never before offered (that I know of, and clearly you know these far more than me).

95% of the products vendored by members are unique in some facet - the one place currently that seems the 5% is Wagongear vs. Socallove's

I appreciate the education, prior to Mud when we were on Spectre I don't recall any tailgate lids ever discussed, but I'm far from an early adopter when it comes to 80's.

If they came out here in 1991 it was near a decade before I got ahold of mine in 2000.

In the end it's just my opinion, Kevin or yours are where my cash goes - but interesting to hear these lids were around long before Wagongear esp since I never recall talk prior to Kevin's back on Spectre's board.

As for drawers (and rear window access ports - I know nothing there), I seem to think someone sold them - but those would be a "build" item to me mainly due to $$$ of a prebuilt. Heck, good drawer slider hinges are an investment.

At any rate, I'm interested to see your final outcome, everything you've posted I've always thought was quality.

Completely understand and the version was relayed to me prior to being a vendor or even building things for people. I started playing with cruisers in 2005 and up until 2010/11 I never even knew MUD was in existence. There is a ton of info and misc products out there if you want to dig. I never would have found other avenues if it weren't for MUD, me becoming a vendor and dealing with others in many different countries now.

Just like the guy that is now making a CrMo version of Slee's diff drop.... Same product, different material, IMO

Basically, some people will love, hate or settle with my products just as they do with 1000's of other company options out there. One small aesthetic tweak of an old product can make a newly released product the cats meow.

We all know about being loyal and we all like what we like. When I want something, I want it and buy it then. If I have to wait... I usually go find an alternate solution that will fit my needs/wants. Its like going to the butcher to find they are out of your favorite cut of meat, so you either buy a different cut or re-plan your meal and wait for another day. After waiting for that product more than once/twice/ three times... I'm finding a new butcher.

I plan on making 60 cargo panels as well. VERY similar to Kevin's to boot. I started with the idea of just making solid panels to replace the OEM door and cargo panels, but more and more people convinced me to make a storage panel. A majority are tired of waiting and I'm ready to make and sell product.

J

Last edited:

No worries, not trying to stir things up as I don't have a dog in the fight. Socallove's lids open the opposite direction to Kevin's and are made of aluminum vs steel. He also sourced some pretty slick locking cam latches that hold everything tight and don't rattle. I have read Kevin's justification on why he likes his to open toward the back of the truck and I still prefer the lid to swing toward the truck--hence the purchase of socallove's lid. I appreciate Kevin's R&D but waiting years for a product that I might never end up getting is a bit of a deal killer. I was on the waiting list for one of those 3 link setups that sarmon products was building--probly for the best though.\

Cheers!

No worries, not trying to stir things up as I don't have a dog in the fight. Socallove's lids open the opposite direction to Kevin's and are made of aluminum vs steel. He also sourced some pretty slick locking cam latches that hold everything tight and don't rattle. I have read Kevin's justification on why he likes his to open toward the back of the truck and I still prefer the lid to swing toward the truck--hence the purchase of socallove's lid. I appreciate Kevin's R&D but waiting years for a product that I might never end up getting is a bit of a deal killer. I was on the waiting list for one of those 3 link setups that sarmon products was building--probly for the best though.\

Cheers!

My only gripe about the socallove lids are that in order to fully support the lid you have to leave the cut tailgate sheetmetal exposed. Its just a plate otherwise. Allowing for potential cut hands, etc.. (painted or not)

Just an FYI, Kevin uses the same SouthCo latches as well and I also dropped socallove a line in his threads as to the brand and style and why they were a better choice to what he was going to use originally. I prefer the lever latches I'll be using over these, but its my personal preference.

Mine will open the same as Kevin's, I like the additional 4-7" of shelf room you get from the outward opening doors.

i have a wagongear lid. it holds my fat us jumping up and down on it to pull down my RTT.

But i love the dual door aspect. Having my tool drawer open on one side and the other gate lid up at the same time is epic.
anyone know if the 100 flip cover for the gap can be modded to an 80?

i have a wagongear lid. it holds my fat us jumping up and down on it to pull down my RTT.

But i love the dual door aspect. Having my tool drawer open on one side and the other gate lid up at the same time is epic.
anyone know if the 100 flip cover for the gap can be modded to an 80?

I've looked at the cover mod. Mainly for the dog and sliding things in and out. I plan to play with this more for the 80 series. May not use a 100 cover for the mod but make a new plate all together.

J

Reeves -

Without seeing the design (frame divider between each door, etc) - a 2 door version could make a convert out of me too (also a dog owner, he's ~65# with a harness in place of seat belt & rides in passenger side 2nd row, but allowed to do whatever when not moving (like hopping out the back by jumping the seatback & jumping off tailgate if down.

Having 1/2 open & 1/2 shut I know he would jump off the closed side - so directionality of which way the hinge goes/doors open wouldn't be an issue at all.

I have to say, Kevins direction of lid opening is the only aspect that bugs me.

But yep - real interested in your dual door model!

Last edited:
Then the guy who copied the LCA's Rick makes (CaliFab?)

Claiming that Chance copied those links is horse****. By that logic is every flavor of front bumper, rear bumper, sliders and roof rack you can buy for our trucks stolen from someone else? What about lift springs? Slee, OME, TJM, Ironman, who copied who? Chance has been buidling Toyota links for a few years now and just so happened to start offering them for the FJ80s. What's so intellectual about a piece of steel tubing with heims or bushings? I don't understand why this forum is so against new products and options. We need that stuff to keep the platform alive. You don't like Brand X fine. But don't claim that he copied Brand Y - there is no basis in that.

Last edited:
Reeves -

Without seeing the design (frame divider between each door, etc) - a 2 door version could make a convert out of me too (also a dog owner, he's ~65# with a harness in place of seat belt & rides in passenger side 2nd row, but allowed to do whatever when not moving (like hopping out the back by jumping the seatback & jumping off tailgate if down.

Having 1/2 open & 1/2 shut I know he would jump off the closed side - so directionality of which way the hinge goes/doors open wouldn't be an issue at all.

I have to say, Kevins direction of lid opening is the only aspect that bugs me.

But yep - real interested in your dual door model!

I don't plan on a divider. (it would be easy to make one though that was removable) This way guys can store select long items from end to end or use the doors independently for smaller items. Like I said, I personally like the extra shelf space the way the doors will open. I used it countless times on my old 60. To each their own and this is one of those things that may be a deal breaker for some. I'm good with that, they can make their own or source one elsewhere. If someone wants a "tailored" lid, I'd be happy to make them a one off lid with a one off price tag.

My only gripe about the socallove lids are that in order to fully support the lid you have to leave the cut tailgate sheetmetal exposed. Its just a plate otherwise. Allowing for potential cut hands, etc.. (painted or not)

Just an FYI, Kevin uses the same SouthCo latches as well and I also dropped socallove a line in his threads as to the brand and style and why they were a better choice to what he was going to use originally. I prefer the lever latches I'll be using over these, but its my personal preference.

Mine will open the same as Kevin's, I like the additional 4-7" of shelf room you get from the outward opening doors.

I'll agree with you on that issue--I spent an hour or so with a file making sure there weren't any burrs left to slice open my hands when rummaging around back there. Can't speak as to the why of the latches, but I like that they lock--gives a semblance of legality when traveling through communist states with firearms.

I'll agree with you on that issue--I spent an hour or so with a file making sure there weren't any burrs left to slice open my hands when rummaging around back there. Can't speak as to the why of the latches, but I like that they lock--gives a semblance of legality when traveling through communist states with firearms.

If the edge becomes an issue get some edge trim welt. I have sold it to a few of his customers.

Locking latches are an option with mine.

Claiming that Chance copied those links is horse****. By that logic is every flavor of front bumper, rear bumper, sliders and roof rack you can buy for our trucks stolen from someone else? What about lift springs? Slee, OME, TJM, Ironman, who copied who? Chance has been buidling Toyota links for a few years now and just so happened to start offering them for the FJ80s. What's so intellectual about a piece of steel tubing with heims or bushings? I don't understand why this forum is so against new products and options. We need that stuff to keep the platform alive. You don't like Brand X fine. But don't claim that he copied Brand Y - there is no basis in that.

That was simply an example that popped to mind from recent threads. I have no dog in that fight, and if it isn't a direct copy, then why some thread about his parts turning into a circlejerk is beyond me. It was a random recent one that popped to mind, as lower arm bushings are on my "need to buy" list & got me thinking upgraded LCA's. (Being cheap I'll just weld mine, r & r the bushes myself)

I get you a link isn't as "intellectual property" as some things (poor example my part) - but you go make a custom piece that took some time to develop, (let's use Joey's battery switch panel as an example) you did all the work & then see a similar one pop up for sale, I don't know about you but I'm sure not out to make nice with that person.

Or how about that cheap off-brand snorkel that hit the market last year? That's what -- $100-$150 cheaper than a real brand name one - I'm sure Safari is just trilled about that since they did all the R & D / fit-up.

This all is a tangent - we all vote with our wallets, we all have an opinion, what say we leave it at that, yeah?

That said - I'll wait to see Reeves tailgate & decide from there. Now the thread is back on track.

I was on a thread the other day. A newer fabricator that started selling bumpers last year. Nice bumpers. @reevesci and another fabricator that have been doing this for a long time commented on his bumper, were supportive, and gave him ideas. He openly admitted to liking things that they did and would incorporate some of their ideas in to his bumpers.

It is one of the most positive threads on Mud. Yes, to these guys it's a business and they are all "competitors". They also understand that this is all good for the community. Because they are all active and coming up with new ideas. Pushing each other to produce cool s*** for us to spend our money on and feed our addiction.

That is how this should be.

Interesting read. I have offered the frame for my lid, but people generally don't want to pay a little extra for it.

Here's mine with the frame, it does look nicer and offer more strength since its 1/8" thick. For the folks whom purchased my lid prior, it's very easy to add the frame. Material is 2"X1.5"x1/8" aluminum angle, I used 45* mitter cut at the corners.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

interested. I had emailed with Kevin a long while ago about a two lid version of his or the home cutting of one of his single lids in half...but never could get one.

I have had materials for a tailgate cuttingboard storage door in the garage for over a year now planning to make one myself :bang::bang:.

I was on a thread the other day. A newer fabricator that started selling bumpers last year. Nice bumpers. @reevesci and another fabricator that have been doing this for a long time commented on his bumper, were supportive, and gave him ideas. He openly admitted to liking things that they did and would incorporate some of their ideas in to his bumpers.

It is one of the most positive threads on Mud. Yes, to these guys it's a business and they are all "competitors". They also understand that this is all good for the community. Because they are all active and coming up with new ideas. Pushing each other to produce cool s*** for us to spend our money on and feed our addiction.

That is how this should be.
Damn straight! I think if a vendor works hard, offers a fair price, and is good to their customers, they can make parts and have good success even if it is a redundant offering. Helping the other guy out comes back around every time in my opinion. I will not bad mouth my competition in my business and have helped quite a few out with issues they have had.

Damn straight! I think if a vendor works hard, offers a fair price, and is good to their customers, they can make parts and have good success even if it is a redundant offering. Helping the other guy out comes back around every time in my opinion. I will not bad mouth my competition in my business and have helped quite a few out with issues they have had.

Yep. "Honor amongst thieves!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom