Builds '86 Grand Wagoneer build, wife's rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Patrick.

Getting some more work done on her this week. Dropped her off at AutoCool in Smyrna to get the AC sorted out (I know, just in time for winter, LOL). We've got all the parts and everything is in place except a high pressure switch for the compressor. These guys are great at sussing out custom setups like ours (GM compressor and wiring + AMC/Jeep pressure switch, condenser, accumulator, expansion valve, etc...). http://autocool.biz/

Once they get it all buttoned up, they'll be able to trace the leaks we've had in the plumbing and make sure all the old wiring/switches are still good. There initial nitrogen test said no leaks, but we've had the system running with refrigerant in it and it lost everything after a couple days. The wiring, thermistor and dash switches are the only thing we have not replaced.

Well, they got the AC working nicely and for a reasonable price too ($450). It needed a new high pressure switch, low pressure switch and some TLC to make sure everything was in tip-top shape. They're warrantying the work for 12 months too, so should get us beyond next summer with a fair peace of mind.

Been looking for an upgrade on the suspension. Currently it's got a BJ's Offroad 4" lift kit on it with Rancho shocks. The leafs have never broken in and it's a harsh ride on and off road. If money were no object, I'd put coils and link the axles. However, need to keep it around $600-700. Anybody got any suggestions? The current leaf packs are only 4 leafs thick but overly stout. I've been educated that thinner but more leafs is always better.

Been looking for an upgrade on the suspension. Currently it's got a BJ's Offroad 4" lift kit on it with Rancho shocks. The leafs have never broken in and it's a harsh ride on and off road. If money were no object, I'd put coils and link the axles. However, need to keep it around $600-700. Anybody got any suggestions? The current leaf packs are only 4 leafs thick but overly stout. I've been educated that thinner but more leafs is always better.

I had a 6" lift on my 79 wagoneer from hell creek suspensions. I loved it. but I cant give any real offroad reviews.
http://www.hellcreeksuspensions.com/

lots of feedback in the 40 forum.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the reviews. But dang what an antiquated website. Kind of annoying to have to start from step one each time you add an item to the cart. Roughly $840 for 4 new springs. The full install kit is over $1200.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the reviews. But dang what an antiquated website. Kind of annoying to have to start from step one each time you add an item to the cart. Roughly $840 for 4 new springs. The full install kit is over $1200.

Yea their website hasn't changed in the last 5 years. I didnt realize prices had gone up so much. Iirc my 6"kit was about 700. That was all new springs, shocks, ubolts etc.

via mobile app.

OK, found a cheaper option when I shop for a full suspension kit...3" kit under $600, but 4" kit +$1200 includes more than we need (DPA, shocks, brake lines). But if I shop for just springs, they don't offer a 3" option. They offer 2" springs for $760, 4" springs for $772 and 6" springs for $876. Then add $65-70 shipping.

The 3" full kit includes: Front & rear springs, u-bolts, poly bushings, & Hydro shocks.

The 4" full kit includes: Front & rear springs with OEM rubber bushings, u-bolts, steering stabilizer, steel brake hoses, drop pitman arm, & Nitro shocks with black boots.

Looks like a phone call to them would be best. I think we will need the 4" springs so that our 33's clear the wheel wells.

Did a long overdue project this weekend. Replaced the steering relay, tie rod and all ball joints with MOOG stuff.
Tie-RelayRods_2013-02-23 (2).jpg

Also replaced one of the return line grommets in the fuel tank since it's been leaking when she's got a full tank. I thought she had ordered two grommets, but only one. Will do the other one soon.

Last edited:
This truck is way cool. Just like the owners.

Thanks for keeping it going. I have always thought these were awesome rigs.

BRAVO!!!

My first ride was a 1978 Cherokee Chief S, I bought it when i was 15 and built it with my dad.. Good learning experience for me (Since almost everything blew up on it.) I got to learn how to rebuild everything, made me into who I am today.. LOVED my Chief, I sold it when I was 18 and was heading to college due to the whole "This is not the time to have a project" not happy with the perfect VW I bought... although the car ran amazing it wasn't what I wanted and didn't really fit my lifestyle. Sold that and bought back a FJ60 that was in the family for a long time from a close friend.. Im so in love with my 60.. but I always wonder what it would of been like to keep my Chief.
Rant over.
Love the Wagoneer!

Tucker
293565_2034560948345_8341374_n.jpg

Holy Schneikies! it's been a while since we've done anything with this project. My FJC was down for a while as my rear diff failed, we went on vacation, I rebuilt the diff and reinstalled the diff over several weekends. So Bertha was my ride during the hottest part of the summer so far (did I mention no A/C?) But she drove just as strong as ever aside from a few pesky leaks.

Well, we have finally saved enough pennies, nickels and dimes to upgrade the transmission. I'm pretty set on the 6L80 and it looks like it will take the NP208 we already have with minor issue. Some background info/specs:

The Novak Guide to the GM 6L80 Automatic Transmission

6l80_transmission_main copy.png

I'm working out the plan with my friends at ACC and we will do the heavy lifting ourselves with their assistance. We are considering regearing the diffs at the same time, but may not need to with the 4.02 first gear in this new trans. More updates to come soon.

why keep the 208? you're driver drop in an 86, it would seem that a 241 from a chevy would be a solid upgrade. could swear I mentioned this to your X-ray one night at roundup...

how do you plan on controlling the 6L80?

why keep the 208? you're driver drop in an 86, it would seem that a 241 from a chevy would be a solid upgrade. could swear I mentioned this to your X-ray (Whut??) one night at roundup...

how do you plan on controlling the 6L80?
Keeping the NP208 because it won't cost us anymore money. We would still need an adapter plate for the NP241, so no cost savings to be had. If I had a reasonable bolt on transfer case option that would offset the cost of the adapter plate, I'd consider it. But I have yet to find one.

The 6L80E has it's own controller. From what I've found, all I need is tach signal off the engine's ECU. We'll likely have to get the engine ECU reprogrammed based on torque converter too.

X-ray is old radio code for SWMBO, wife, SO, etc.

Cool info about the 6L80E controller. I'm surprised the pattern for the t-case changed - GM used to be pretty good about not having eighteen different patterns to choose from.

I've been slacking on post updates...
IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

Getting this "captured" bolt free from the back of the motor through the side of the adapter plate was a real biotch. Shaved down one of my cheap 14mm wrenches to get it loose.
IMG_5577.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom