Whats wrong with my antenna (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Part 3 of our series on fixing old issues is my antenna. It has been stuck about 3 inches out of its hole for some time now. Turning the radio on does nothing for it and the reception sucks. Today I had the wife sit in it and press the up down button while I listened and gently pulled on the mast. The first time the mast actually came up about halfway and I could hear the little teeth moving on the gear. After that it neither went up or down. When the button is pressed I can hear a click down where the motor is at, but no movement of the mast. Do I simply need to order an antenna removal tool and a new mast with plastic gear thing attached ?

Yes, your best bet is to try removing the old mast and replace it with a new one.

I have a whole kit of different sizes I got from Matco because I used to be a full time tech. You can probably find a basic kit on amazon or you might be able to use 90deg snap ring pliers if you are carefull. I have heard of some people on here using the end of needle nose pliers as well. If you are in the Sacramento area I can help you.

1st off what year 80 is this, the late 96's and 97's (there for all the LX's) are far simpler to deal with but your still likely to have to fight with taking the drive section apart.

Sounds like the motor is fried. A mast may not fix it.
Mine made a racket due to the motor slip clutch banging away. It was the "machine gun mod" to entertain younger passengers, like kids in their thirties... :hillbilly:
Mine's an early 96 and required pulling it all apart just to change the plastic middle section (think weedeater line). Plus, you get the luxury of having to do it on top of the air cleaner since you don't want to pull that antenna line out of there.
Good luck finishing off the last item on your list! I'm down to two, no three, no ...:wrench::wrench:

Ok can you hear the motor spinning when you key on and key off, or when someone pushes the buttons even if the mast does not move??? If so your mast is likely stripped and needs replacement. If not then more investigation needs to be done. Its not hard to get the motor assembly out to where you can work on it to fix it, but it is going to be tricky to fish the Coaxial cable back though the fire wall if you need to replace the entire thing.

Ok can you hear the motor spinning when you key on and key off, or when someone pushes the buttons even if the mast does not move??? If so your mast is likely stripped and needs replacement. If not then more investigation needs to be done. Its not hard to get the motor assembly out to where you can work on it to fix it, but it is going to be tricky to fish the Coaxial cable back though the fire wall if you need to replace the entire thing.

I just hear an electronic click, once each time the button is pushed.

Either motors shot, or you have something jambing it up. I would say its prolly the former, and its time for a new assembly. I have often wondered if you could cut the signal cable and leave it in the wheel well and just splice it with the new assembly so you dont have to rip apart the dash and fight to fish it though the fire wall. I mean if its good enough for cable internet and Sat. TV outside exposed to the elements I should be ok for radio waves in the fender of a land cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom