What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (105 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wife and I drove the Wart Hog to Stevensville Maryland for a day of Rockfishing on the 42' "Retirement Fun". Wife and I were lucky enough to land the two biggest Rockfish of the day. Was a fantastic day to be on the Chesapeake Bay with temperatures in the low 80s and no humidity. Added a few pounds of fish fillets to the deep freeze.

Wife's Rockfish
28565022653_b62011f8a0_b.jpg

Mine
29184728255_1f66d19035_b.jpg

Lots of fillets!
28565073193_4272ccbf37_b.jpg

Couple of beauty shots
28565102943_5d5f3d495d_b.jpg

29185064275_61dcaaa2f6_b.jpg

Next fishing trip will be for Halibut in Alaskan waters!

I always think it's great when you actually see someone on Mud. I always seem to imagine people look different than what they actually look like.

I pictured you were about mid 30s for some reason. I guess based on your nickname. I don't know.

I pictured @NLXTACY as this New York, mob type wannabe, with gold chains intermingling a swath of chest hair sticking out above a wife beater. Wait, I guess I had that one spot on. :flipoff2:

I'm sure people picture me as an overall wearing, red man chewing, straw hanging out of my mouth type. I guess that would be fairly accurate too...

I always think it's great when you actually see someone on Mud. I always seem to imagine people look different than what they actually look like.

I pictured you were about mid 30s for some reason. I guess based on your nickname. I don't know.

I pictured @NLXTACY as this New York, mob type wannabe, with gold chains intermingling a swath of chest hair sticking out above a wife beater. Wait, I guess I had that one spot on. :flipoff2:

I'm sure people picture me as an overall wearing, red man chewing, straw hanging out of my mouth type. I guess that would be fairly accurate too...

Racist :flipoff2:

got the splits out of storage to see if they fit on the 80 too. they do.

pulled the hitch off, got the spare out from under the truck, and made a list of what needs doing. the list is long and pretty much what you expect. 4 corners brakes, knuckles, birfield exchanges, new throttle cable to trans mixer, fix the damn exhaust leak my wife keeps giving me hell about... new koyo rad, hoses, and water pump already in.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My Saturday started with "I'm just going to pull back the front of the carpet and install a little thermal barrier." The jute was stuck to the floor on the passenger side and began to separate.
13694673_1196541117072048_499462474_n.jpg

My little project quickly turned into a big project. The full front carpet piece was out and I was committed. My wife sprayed the carpet down with degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer while I finished removing the old jute from the floor and installed sound deadener. After 30 minutes of spraying, the water coming off the carpet still looked like CocaCola.

Carpet hung out to dry. Hanging the carpet on the fence worked so much better than laying it flat.
13649133_1801127546791632_485461358_n.jpg

After the sound deadener, the thermal barrier went in. Two large pieces, one for the driver and one for the passenger. These are not secured but rather pressed into place with darts in the pieces to contour to the floor.
14033062_553367441517049_1849040193_n.jpg

I tore off the remaining jute on the front row and second row of the carpet. The second row jute was used as a template to create a matching piece of thermal barrier that was then glued on the carpet.

The carpet looked amazing afterwards and was reinstalled. Driver's seat and second row were added back in, but the passenger seat needed replacement gears.

Anytime I had a break from the interior, I worked installing my wheelskin cover or stripping my sliders in preparation for paint.

My Saturday started with "I'm just going to pull back the front of the carpet and install a little thermal barrier." The jute was stuck to the floor on the passenger side and began to separate.

My little project quickly turned into a big project. The full front carpet piece was out and I was committed. My wife sprayed the carpet down with degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer while I finished removing the old jute from the floor and installed sound deadener. After 30 minutes of spraying, the water coming off the carpet still looked like CocaCola.

Carpet hung out to dry. Hanging the carpet on the fence worked so much better than laying it flat.

After the sound deadener, the thermal barrier went in. Two large pieces, one for the driver and one for the passenger. These are not secured but rather pressed into place with darts in the pieces to contour to the floor.

I tore off the remaining jute on the front row and second row of the carpet. The second row jute was used as a template to create a matching piece of thermal barrier that was then glued on the carpet.

The carpet looked amazing afterwards and was reinstalled. Driver's seat and second row were added back in, but the passenger seat needed replacement gears.

Anytime I had a break from the interior, I worked installing my wheelskin cover or stripping my sliders in preparation for paint.

What did you use to get the old jute off the floorboards?

Rubicon trail trip 2 LX450s and 1 LX470. First time shooting with a GoPro. I apologize for the awful music and videography! Enjoy!]

Bro vid was GREAT! Nice work for a first time shoot.

(However, you are correct, the music made my ears bleed)

How was the trail? Conditions, speed? Is this a 2 day minimum or could you cruise it in a day. More info please.

Thanks.

Great trail report later Still out on the road.
Snowed yesterday on Ajax mountain next to Black Bear
Tried to escape the rain in Colorado today and go to New Mexico no luck. Canyon de Chelly tomorrow.

Changed the oil, sand blasted, and painted the old warn.
20160823_203200.jpg

What did you use to get the old jute off the floorboards?
I had a set of latex covered gloves that had a slightly tacky feel to them. I rubbed the jute with the gloves which caused it to form large piles. I eventually got tired of this and started using my daughter's giant eraser for the smaller stuff. I was able to get 98% of it off the floor.

No "After" pics?!?!

No "After" pics?!?!
Coming soon. Passenger seat gears were replaced and I've got a little bit to finish up on the steering wheel cover. One rock slider is primed and ready for paint.

A previous owner must have opened up the passenger seat gears. They lost one bearing washer and one flat washer on each side and replaced them with a rubber flat washer to fill the space. The grease they used was not compatible with rubber and converted the rubber into a thick sticky goo. It took me an hour to clean all the goo off the parts. I used a stainless flat washer as a replacement and reassembled with liberal amounts synthetic grease with teflon.

Rubicon trail trip 2 LX450s and 1 LX470. First time shooting with a GoPro. I apologize for the awful music and videography! Enjoy!
Parts 3 of 6

Cool video! Even with the PBS children's educational video soundtrack :flipoff2:

Is that Muzak?!?!

Well...after driving an 80 series for 16 years on 35's with stock gears, I now have 4.88's. I still feel like a gear swap is not a requirement to run 35's on an 80. Stock gears are adequate. However, the 4.88's feel GREAT! General power feels better and the truck pulls better on the highway. I can cruise at 75-80mph comfortably. Sure it revs a bit higher but not like I'm flogging it. I don't have enough time with them yet to see what kind of change (if any) in fuel economy.
The other change is the brake pads. Darren McRae sent me a set of Carbon pads from Australia. There are likely equivalent pads here in the US but I know Darren would send me the correct thing and would save me the search of finding them here. Its necessary to resurface the rotors to remove any residue from the old pads. Bedding the Carbon pads makes A LOT of brake dust, like completely covered the wheels and calipers. Brake dust should subside a bit after that. Braking performance feels a lot better. I should have done some measured tests with the old pads and done some comparisons for stopping distance etc. Alas, I didn't so it's purely a seat of the pants feel. One thing I will say is that with my old OEM pads I could mash the brake pedal to the floor (on asphalt) and the truck would come to a stop but never hint at engaging the ABS. With these new pads, the ABS still didn't kick on, but all 4 wheels were screeching and the truck comes to a stop noticeably quicker. The pads can make a bit of noise under braking, but nothing overly annoying. Overall, really happy with the upgrade.

Got the post trip mid week bluuuuueeeesssss.....

This past weekend, my brother, cousin and I, went up to Copper Harbor, Mi to ride our mountain bikes on their legendary trails for the first time. Boy we were not disappointed. Great riding and another great trip. Ill have a complete story in my thread here shortly. Cheers, Mud!

DSC_1100.jpg

I installed the Pfran LED dome lights quite a while ago, but with the fridge and drawers there was still not enough light in the back.

I've seen some folks put generic LED strips on their upper hatch but my experience with those is that sections of them begin to fail after a short amount of time.

I had these two little mini LED aluminum light bars on my fishing boat for a couple years that have held up great with impressive output. I gave them a shot on the upper hatch of the cruiser and I am super happy with them.

Install was super simple. Just routed one lead up to the dome light so that they come on when the hatch is opened with the dome. Wire was routed under the rear glass weatherstripping, through the drain tube grommet, and then fished through the headliner for a clean install.

Lighting in the back is great now! And the best part is they cost $6.99 a pair on Amazon. Just thought I'd pass along!

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Wate...1472070483&sr=8-3&keywords=led+running+lights

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom