Post up what you pedal (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Valid Argument. Point taken.
Although Minnaar is quite a big guy.
But as you say, if there is any problem they just get a new one. There and then.

Maybe I posted my reply to fast. To be honest.
Come to think of it, I prefer riding my steel bikes to my carbon bike 95% of the time.

Hope you get a nice rig!

Yeah I am closer to Minaars size and I still wouldn't trust a carbon bike. I am hard on my stuff and unless I am on completely buff XC track with nothing for me to plow through. And like TigerStripes said, those guys have a wealth of sponsored bikes waiting for them should something happen, so not really an apples-to-apples comparison. My riding buddy has a Scott Genius 710 with the Syncros carbon wheels, it took him 3 rides to put a superficial crack in the side of the rim. Now it is just a waiting game to see when the rear detonates on him and he rides hard. Worst part is that after a good crash there is a good 5 minute inspection period of the bike to ensure nothing has cracked or broken. That is always fun.

And while I haven't tried a DW Link bike, my current ride is a Horst Link (ala Stumpy FSR clone) and absolutely love it. Has great pedaling platform and descends like a demon!

I'm moving from the road bike arena to the mountain bike arena...picked up a fat bike called: The Mayor. From RSD (Rubber Side Down, Canadian company). Pretty much love it. Most Land Cruiser guys air down out here in the wild west (AZ) due to terrain. I was taught the tire is part of the suspension--same is true with a fat tire bike--lot's of fun.
IMG_5880.JPG

Lately I've been riding this as much as anything. I put my son in a BMX program and figured I might as well race with him. The dad class can be very competitive.

Intense Podium Pro Cruiser plus.
image.jpeg

98DE496F-D4B9-4453-9739-7BE8D2968F0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunset at the Shenandoah 100 9/4/16

My FJ's first road trip and my first 100 mile XC event. ~ finished in 13:46

My buddy and I went up to Raystown Lake, in PA last weekend - aside from a seized up freewheel hub and two blown tubes, things went swimmingly! First "mountain bike" centric trip to somewhere other than my local state parks. Had a blast! Someday I'll make it up there in the FJ40, although that'd 2+ tanks of gas, instead of a little over 1 tank in the Mazda. :hillbilly:

IMG_5174.JPG

Lunch Spot - Bottom of Hydroloop Lake View.JPG

Campsite 1b.JPG

El Mariachi.JPG

Faux Arrival Shot.JPG

2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon. Got it used for a SMOKIN' good deal two years ago, and she's been my trusty steed ever since. Takes a lot of abuse and manages to survives most of it.

full

full

Agree with you.

Will never sell it. It is a to versitile setup. I have also got it "future proofed"
I have the normal quick-release dropouts and the bought thru-axle dropouts.
I also have a RockShox Reba 120mm fork for it in addition to the rigid Niner RDO fork.
So however I feel. SS, geared, fully rigid or suspension fork and different axle configurations, I can do it.
At the moment it is setup as a rigid, geared gravel grinder. 1x11 Shimano drive train.
IMG-El Mar.jpeg

Waiting for stuff for my new single speed build on a nice Reynolds frame. Can not go without my SS fix.
IMG-CB1.jpeg

IMG-CB2.jpeg

Ibis "Custom" made with note from Chuck Ibis, IBIS Avion that used to be Chuck's bike and WIlderness trail bikes, build my the master of masters ..

The Motorcycle, a yeah a clamp out ex paris dakar rally racer with a silly 712mm sidecar motocross engine, totally waste if you still need brakes to ride a motorcycle like me..

The truck $1000 pick & Pull special.
IMG_3709-XL.jpg

I like Funky, a Love funky and brilliant, at one time I have six Balfa's all running at the same time, brilliant absolutely stellar Canadian group of bike geeks, massive respect.

Hey the truck survive one trip, so he hyper loaded and did a russian roulette with a Derringer and arrive home just fine, great machine, actually zero deep issues in three years of ownership...
003-XL.jpg

Picked up a nice used Specialized Stumpjumper M4 for my 11 year old last Sunday. Complete with a good front fork, disc brakes, and tubeless-ready rims. Replaced the tires with a new set, and took him out this weekend for a father-son ride. Had to add the 4x4 labs bike rack back onto the 80 since it is back in action too. Not sure if my S-Works was in any of the earlier posts, but that is my fun old-man full-suspension off-road rig.

He did great on one of the local fire road and some single-track, logging in 11.2 miles, and over 1000' of climbing. Amazing how much a few pounds of weight-loss on the bike helps, as he is much faster on this vs. his old 24" Specialized. Best effort yet for him, though I had a chuckle that his HR hit 190+ on one of the steeper climbs, where I was lumbering along and chatting at 150...which is great for my old grey-haired head. I figure it is only a few years before he leaves me in the dust, and I need to enjoy.

full

The rain is back! Had a great ride yesterday at Wilder Ranch where we rose up into the clouds, and were riding in them before the real storm hit us on the descent. It was amazing.

Picked up a nice used Specialized Stumpjumper M4 for my 11 year old last Sunday. Complete with a good front fork, disc brakes, and tubeless-ready rims. Replaced the tires with a new set, and took him out this weekend for a father-son ride. Had to add the 4x4 labs bike rack back onto the 80 since it is back in action too. Not sure if my S-Works was in any of the earlier posts, but that is my fun old-man full-suspension off-road rig.

He did great on one of the local fire road and some single-track, logging in 11.2 miles, and over 1000' of climbing. Amazing how much a few pounds of weight-loss on the bike helps, as he is much faster on this vs. his old 24" Specialized. Best effort yet for him, though I had a chuckle that his HR hit 190+ on one of the steeper climbs, where I was lumbering along and chatting at 150...which is great for my old grey-haired head. I figure it is only a few years before he leaves me in the dust, and I need to enjoy.

full
Steve I look your Rack..

In fact i'm semi copying it to be all mounted on a one sided swing out..

Very, very cool truck..

Steve I look your Rack..

In fact i'm semi copying it to be all mounted on a one sided swing out..

Very, very cool truck..

Thanks. The rack is a 4x4Labs one. I have considered changing it to have a set of offset standard round-bars top and bottom to mount Yakima rails (3' separation distance). I have a tandem, and getting that onto the roof is impossible, but could mount it to the rear if I could attach my tandem mount to the rack. Food for thought if you are building your own.

:cheers:

Steve

Thanks. The rack is a 4x4Labs one. I have considered changing it to have a set of offset standard round-bars top and bottom to mount Yakima rails (3' separation distance). I have a tandem, and getting that onto the roof is impossible, but could mount it to the rear if I could attach my tandem mount to the rack. Food for thought if you are building your own.

:cheers:

Steve
So 3" distance, one on the window one on the tail gate...?? You can also mount the upper tube about in the roof and figure out a way to rotated so it work with the second rail mounted at the bottom of the window..

Draft master has you covered with the tandem mounts but sincerely I find them Fugly and simplistic (Is a very complex 4 bar linkage)
HOTT-M.jpg

105_8132-L.jpg

I'm trying to come up with one where the front wheels don't need to be taking of, but I have not found a elegant way to make it (That fits many bike size types)

My tandem mount is a home-made job out of 2" square tubing with three tabs welded on it; two are used to mount to Yakima cross-bars (at a 3' separation), and one for a QR skewer. I have used it for years on the roof of my Audi, and have a 2" hitch receiver that it mounts to in a transverse setup, but it won't clear the spare on the 80. Will get off my duff one of these days and build something like the 4x4Labs which I can use one of the four Yak mounts I have, and my homemade tandem mount.

My tandem mount is a home-made job out of 2" square tubing with three tabs welded on it; two are used to mount to Yakima cross-bars (at a 3' separation), and one for a QR skewer. I have used it for years on the roof of my Audi, and have a 2" hitch receiver that it mounts to in a transverse setup, but it won't clear the spare on the 80. Will get off my duff one of these days and build something like the 4x4Labs which I can use one of the four Yak mounts I have, and my homemade tandem mount.
If you ask me bicycle stew are
The solution For Every problem
IMG_7847-X3.jpg

No welding no
Bending and it take a second to detach them if Need it

The only thing you Need is a caliper not even a measuring tape will do
IMG_5479-X2.jpg

Less than Two points for The whole Rack
IMG_2299-XL.jpg

The need for $300 mounts to carry your tandem is more of a tale than anything, yes the front crank arms will be close to the tray but is no bid deal, nothing touches, well unless you have front disc brakes but is ways to fix that too..

Simple solution, 2 trays, no big whoop at all..
IMG_3709.jpg

Next step to make the tandem fit "Vertically" on the back of polar bear.

this is No bueno.
ggggg-XL.jpg

I love red Hope BigUm hubs, so silly massive but also very strong..

Anybody can guess what is weird about that front end..?
ggg-XL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom