Sorry if is a old question, but how do carry your Bicycles with a stock rear bumper.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patineto

"Clueless" fourwheel rabbit
Threads
Website
patineto.smugmug.com
Or a aftermarket one...

Hey more excuses to get a Dissent rear bumper..

For now I install the rack I used to have on my outback, but sincerely is just for "Posing" is just much to high to get up there (and I'm 6'2") specially with the way my rack works (Old sports works hitch rack, "Cut and Paste" to be used as a roof rack..
image-X3.jpg

To mount my other sports works rack, I will need to get a "Swing Out" adapter and the ones I like cost half as much as a bumper, or be willing to take down (or at least lean the bikes by hand) to open the tailgate, No gracias..

I want the rack to be as close as possible to the hitch to avoid vibration, movement and parking space requirements, the stock configurations works but is just to wobbly.

Here on my old range rover that has the same layout as the 100 in terms of tailgate/ back window.

Two bike, folded second set of mounts.
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20024-X2.jpg

Four bike configuration, if looks like palmtree from the back, drives me insane..
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20044-XL.jpg

I don't see this happening ever, ever again, but yes we have a ton of bicycles..
027-XL.jpg

I can not ride motorcycle anymore, so the hitch is now open for a full time bicycle rack.
IMG_3707-XL.jpg

The only big problem is to carry the tandems on the back, to make it even more complicated we have three of them, but only two roof rack mounts, I have lend my tandems for years to be used for people with disabilities, so YES it will be great if we can transport the three of them at once

Well look for a truck loading zone I guess.

So how do you do it..??

Oh sorry, No trailers..

Your requirements seem mutually exclusive. There is no rack that meets all of them. Which are most important? You have lots of experience with bike racks, so based on that, which issues are deal-breakers and which can you "live-with".

If it were me, I would seriously re-consider the no-trailers rule. A trailer would solve every problem and meet all your needs (including the seemingly impossible one of carrying 3 tandems), with the exception that you'd be towing a trailer? Is that an absolute "no"?

Your requirements seem mutually exclusive. There is no rack that meets all of them. Which are most important? You have lots of experience with bike racks, so based on that, which issues are deal-breakers and which can you "live-with".

If it were me, I would seriously re-consider the no-trailers rule. A trailer would solve every problem and meet all your needs (including the seemingly impossible one of carrying 3 tandems), with the exception that you'd be towing a trailer? Is that an absolute "no"?

Well we /loan/transport/deliver the tandems two maybe three times per years (To San Francisco mostly) the rest of the rides are from the house.

I'm pretty sure I can build a detachable tandem rack mount from the basket on the truck and hold the rear wheels somehow, but sincerely I don't know how to gain access to the "Dog door" in the back.

For now we are going to keep using the thule MOAB basket (I'm installing one more extension) until I gather the money to make my own low profile rack out of 80-20 extrusion (Fantastic prototype tool) fully tunable, adjustable, "Transformer", just very expensive..

In any case for now the basket main tube are 31.8MM OD (reason to chose this exact model) so most of the current bicycle stems fit and is super easy to make a custom mount that way.
image-XL.jpg

A example of the Re-purposing of the stems, super rigid and adaptable..
image-XL.jpg

This is how I carry my tandems when we live in san francisco and did not have kids, yes mostly hotels/couches, whatever because most of the space was taking by the tandems, but we still have space for some basic stuff to stay on the road for about two weeks.

Countless miles, zero issues not even with Cops..

Ps: Made of bicycle stems..
IMG_7830-X2.jpg

About the roof, Sincerely after you have ONE bike on the roof, the risk of hitting something is the same (just exponentially more catastrophic in terms of losing your beloved bicycles) plus you already got the stool, ladder, burro, to get one bike up there..

I may have many of them (tools, bicycles, funky bolts, motorcycles, the exact same jacket just in 13 different colors) but I'm minimalist at the end, i will have a hard time filling up a trailer, yes I know you can find a excuse/reason to carry anything and everything, but at least for me the whole point of getting away from the comfort zone, is, well to have less and still have a great time..

Ps: I do find the crazy south African trailers, totally sexy..

Last edited:
What is/are stoll, latter, & dunky?

So no bike racks...??

Do I need to get a super fancy bumper to be able to carry them the right way..??

(I'm dying to write Dessend (Bad spell I know), I just don't have the money plus my wife will never get why we need one, she is not a man after all, and I'm glad for that)

I've been pleased with the 1UP racks. They do come in tandem bike widths. I can open the lift gate if I only use the forward slot for kids bikes. The system is modular and so you can add as many racks/steps as you think your hitch can handle.

Not mine...

PA200354-1024x733.jpg

4x4labs also offers custom swing outs for his bumpers.... I suppose he could come up with something that could accommodate a tandem. Neither are cheap options though.
2bikes-jpg.462581
bikes1_large.jpg

I've been pleased with the 1UP racks. They do come in tandem bike widths. I can open the lift gate if I only use the forward slot for kids bikes. The system is modular and so you can add as many racks/steps as you think your hitch can handle.

Not mine...

PA200354-1024x733.jpg
Love 1UP design, manufacturing procedures plus they are very humble helpful people..

Good tip about the kiddo bikes in the front, so far our are to small so we just pack them inside, but soon the time will come and now I know how to deal with it..

4x4labs also offers custom swing outs for his bumpers.... I suppose he could come up with something that could accommodate a tandem. Neither are cheap options though.
2bikes-jpg.462581
bikes1_large.jpg

For some reason I can not stand the "Vertical racks" to many shuttle scratch up frustrations at downieville, mammoth and Whistler, they usually say "Come on is just I is a downhill bike" and in my head "Yes, but I want to make the scratches myself, not because you dumma^^ rack and sloppy attention."

Again the tandems are not such a big deal, I just mount them on the roof (with help) and pay extra attention for low trees and stop lights..;)

I use an Allens rack that holds 3 bikes that attaches into the hitch reciever. It was only about $80 shipped from Amazon and it swings forward to allow me to open the TG.

I use an Allens rack that holds 3 bikes that attaches into the hitch reciever. It was only about $80 shipped from Amazon and it swings forward to allow me to open the TG.
Thanks Lex most of my bikes have no "flat Top tube" (do to the suspension design) so racks that hold the bikes from the wheels end up working far better, even if they are bulkier, heavier and much more expensive too...

I've had Thule, Yakima... roof and receiver. I think 1UpUSA is in a class of its own. It's like the Land Cruiser of bike racks.

photo-2_1.jpg

I've had Thule, Yakima... roof and receiver. I think 1UpUSA is in a class of its own. It's like the Land Cruiser of bike racks.

photo-2_1.jpg
Completely agree, very basic geometrical shapes but very sound results, interchangeable parts, segments, not this "somebody hit my car, can I get just the.... No, NO sorry you need to get a whole new rack"

But In also like kuat, just for beauty but you will never lose a bike with them, everything they do is very well study and executed..

I be proud to consult for any of the two..

@Patineto - you're exactly right. One of the trays got bumped in a parking lot. The impact bent a single bolt - it was replaced and the rack is new again. And yeah - no worries about the bikes. In that shot, there's roughly $22,000 worth of bikes on that rack. It's a common joke with mountain bikers - that we carry bikes worth more than our vehicles. Well, I drive a damn nice vehicle (a Land Cruiser!) and STILL have more $$$ hanging on the rack!

@Patineto - you're exactly right. One of the trays got bumped in a parking lot. The impact bent a single bolt - it was replaced and the rack is new again. And yeah - no worries about the bikes. In that shot, there's roughly $22,000 worth of bikes on that rack. It's a common joke with mountain bikers - that we carry bikes worth more than our vehicles. Well, I drive a damn nice vehicle (a Land Cruiser!) and STILL have more $$$ hanging on the rack!

Many times or at least the first time they will send you the spare parts as a courtesy, you gotta love that kind of commitment to service..

And yeah - no worries about the bikes. In that shot, there's roughly $22,000 worth of bikes on that rack. It's a common joke with mountain bikers - that we carry bikes worth more than our vehicles. Well, I drive a damn nice vehicle (a Land Cruiser!) and STILL have more $$$ hanging on the rack!

I think the land cruiser is my first car that it cost as much as my bike (not bikes) My super expensive ones are kind of custom, preserved, vintage and collectible, well at least some people are willing to pay a lot of money for them and I just love to tell them "Sorry you can not have it"..

But sincerely I don't get the whole "$8,000 Mid range bike" somebody is making a lot of money somewhere, is ridiculous they are not even that well set up...

Plus one for the 1up rack. I agree with everyone else that the rack is in it's own class, like an LC. The folks at 1up are great and the racks are expandable and parts replaceable. Not to mention, they look great, they mount such that they don't wiggle around, easy loading and unloading, collapsible for storage, etc.. The only downside is the slightly higher purchase price. But, more than worth it.

i just throw my bike inside with the front wheel off. done .
As much as I love my bikes, the Inside is for the kiddos and the doggies, the rest can sleep outside

Actually I'm starting to make one of this for the new truck, doggies love the grip.
tire%20mat%20011-XL.jpg

Is going to be far more complex, thanks to all the mounting slots for the 3th row seats.
mat%20008-XL.jpg

dddddddd%20002-XL.jpg

mat%20005-XL.jpg

Sorry better picture.
jkgggggggggg%20002-XL.jpg

Happy doggies, happy family.
jkgggggggggg%20007-XL.jpg

Plus one for the 1up rack. I agree with everyone else that the rack is in it's own class, like an LC. The folks at 1up are great and the racks are expandable and parts replaceable. Not to mention, they look great, they mount such that they don't wiggle around, easy loading and unloading, collapsible for storage, etc.. The only downside is the slightly higher purchase price. But, more than worth it.
I predict you something, the day something new comes out like 36" tires becoming popular or what happen with Fatbikes, they will have a retro-fit kit instead of making you buy a whole new rack.. I bet the little extra price at the time of purchase is far cheaper than a whole new rack..

I respect that attention to adaptability and "future proofing", they may not be "Bling" in the communal sense of the word, but mega Bling for gear heads..

As much as I love my bikes, the Inside is for the kiddos and the doggies, the rest can sleep outside

Actually I'm starting to make one of this for the new truck, doggies love the grip.
tire%20mat%20011-XL.jpg

Is going to be far more complex, thanks to all the mounting slots for the 3th row seats.
mat%20008-XL.jpg

dddddddd%20002-XL.jpg

mat%20005-XL.jpg

Sorry better picture.
jkgggggggggg%20002-XL.jpg

Happy doggies, happy family.
jkgggggggggg%20007-XL.jpg
You win the internet today! I have GOT to make/have one of those. It's killing me - thinking of all the tires I've just tossed the trash... and that I could've made one of those. It starts today... the collecting/saving part. Dear club mates...

You win the internet today! I have GOT to make/have one of those. It's killing me - thinking of all the tires I've just tossed the trash... and that I could've made one of those. It starts today... the collecting/saving part. Dear club mates...

Thanks you..

A Tip...

That "Carpet" is what I think of Road bikes, Put them to sleep.. ;)

But ask all your friends at bike shops to save you tires, only the thin strand kevlar tires will work, the thick cheppo road bikes are to stiff to get bend flat...

This one was made with Mountainbike tires, way, WAY to much grip.
vintage%20027.jpg

vintage%20015-XL.jpg

Exposed wood screws, but I used mostly staples for this one too.
vintage%20013-XL.jpg

All the pictures are here.
"Carpets" out of Tyres - ricardo kuhn (patineto)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom