Copperhead (1986 FJ60) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, drove her some yesterday...not run down vacuum leak yet but think I need to work on carb some. After getting timing set properly....it still bucks some at low speeds and less noticeably at highway speeds. I found that if I pull the choke out to first or second notch the bucking all but goes away..

Could that mean I might have a partial blockage in one of the jets restricting amount of fuel...as pulling choke allows more fuel to engine while pushing it in allows more air? Could it still be related to the vacuum?

I am going to change fuel filter even though recently replaced by last owner...just to make sure before going deeper.

Wish me luck... After I figured out the choke cheat...she ran like a top all day yesterday. Atleast I dont have to worry about engine rebuild and everything appears more annoying than anything. My initial panic has passed. :)

Last edited:
I did a carb rebuild on a 40 that was doing the same. It would run great with the choke pulled out a little. Jets were partially clogged. After the rebuild it ran great with no choke. A Trollhole carb is not a bad idea for a desmogged 60 if you don't feel like doing a rebuild on your Aisin.

JimC just rebuilt it for previous owner within past year if not mistaken.....so hoping I can pull it apart and clean jets and button her back up after making sure the afr is good.

I prefer the Aisin...over the years, the Trollhole carbs have been hit or miss...may been bad batch or just like most things you only hear of the bad ones..never the good ones. I would rather rebuild Aisin and know it is good when installed. Might have to change my tune later but now prefer the OEM.

Last edited:
had brand new Toyota windshield installed yesterday...new rubbers all around as well. Hopefully this will take her another 300,000 miles and also help with the leakage on drivers and passenger floorboards...or at least knock out one of the causes. :)

412593390.jpg
412593389.jpg

Brock, glad to hear about "Copperhead" she looks great. sorry about that 84. Also, I grew up in Goose Creek, Goose Creek Gators class of 75:D my mom lives in Summerville still; I don't miss the humidity.
So I can understand getting the air con fixed. Good luck with Copperhead, just avoid the snake. lol

Well the windshield used to leak in lower corners....that was fixed with new windshield and gaskets. Now it is leaking at top left corner then runs down to grab handle installed by PO...then drips on all weather mats. Taking it to glasspro for them to fix in morning.

This afternoon started install of all brand new battery cables. Ordered from Fourrunner and they are very heavy duty and very nice. Got 4 out of 5 of the cables installed. I forgot to buy a 3/8 lug to crimp on the end of the fusable link wire for positive battery cable...so did them all but that one. It comes with negative battery to body, body to engine mount. Engine to firewall. Positive to starter, and starter to frame. You will need to add the lug to connect the fusable link to positive terminal but that is only modification needed.

Put new battery in last week...now new cables. Slowly but surely sorting out all the trifling little things that add up. :)

Here is link for cables...

FJ60/FJ62 Heavy Duty Battery Cable Sets

Well, drove her some yesterday...not run down vacuum leak yet but think I need to work on carb some. After getting timing set properly....it still bucks terribly at low speeds and less noticeably at highway speeds. I found that if I pull the choke out to first notch the bucking all but goes away..

Could that mean I might have a partial blockage in one of the jets restricting amount of fuel...as pulling choke allows more fuel to engine while pushing it in allows more air? Could it still be related to the vacuum?

I am going to change fuel filter even though recently replaced by last owner...just to make sure before going deeper.

Wish me luck... After I figured out the choke cheat...she ran like a top all day yesterday. :)
I had trouble with my old 84 for months. Same conditions only wouldn't hold idle, ran well at speed. This happened after I refreshed all vacuum hoses under hood. After resurfacing manifolds etc and fiddling for months, I seafoamed the darn thing. Problem solved.

yeah going to try a over dose of seafoam. if that does not work will run down vacuum leak. Then see how it does after carb is adjusted for proper AFR....will change fuel filter again as well just in case. Since the choke trick lessens air intake...guessing fuel flow issue whether from obstruction, bad adjustment, or fuel pump. One thing at a time....I guess.

Last edited:
Replaced fuel filter today.... going to adjust the Aisin carb to factory AFR settings...just got to find where it tells you to turn it down and then back it out so many turns to get it back to the baseline. Unless someone knows the count off their head for me. :)

Glasspro went over the glass install again and found a couple spots without good contact as you use the old rope method to pull this one in. He added some stuff and checked it all the way around... No more leaks. We have had some torrential downpours that last for an hour or more this Summer and no more leaks. :) :) :)

Drove her three times this past week to property ....125 miles round trip. 98* heat with 105 heat index...loaded with seed, wood duck boxes, corn for deer feeders, cooler with ice cold drinks and lunch and my big ass. Never missed a beat...started all the time. This really is a good truck....might try to sell my vette instead of the Land Cruiser to get the truck and hold on to her a bit longer. :)

this is a great truck...I got to drive it and loved it, I was going to get it but went a different direction.

I know I would probably keep it and sell the vett also...lol

i had resolved myself to keep her, give her a paint job, fix the pesky bucking issue with carb/vacuum leak......and tint the windows. LOL Since I already sold vette and bought truck I needed now. If not for last gentleman wanting her she would likely be in my garage at least until someone saw how pretty she was with new single stage urethane paint and begged me to sell her again. LOL She reallly is a great truck and hard to find one not ate up with cancer or that has been hacked up with electrical blunders and McGyver fixes all over. Gonna miss her even though only had her a few months.... :(

hard to find one not ate up with cancer or that has been hacked up with electrical blunders and McGyver fixes all over.

Amen brother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom