FJ40 height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I'm restoring a 78 fj40 and long story short am having to rebuild garage to get fj in garage. Before get going wanted to see if anybody had same build I'm doing to check and make sure height of garage will be high enough. 2.5 OEM lift and 33. Anybody who has this setup that can tell me the height would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You happen to be in luck, I just measured mine today. I laid a large drywall square across the roof and set the short leg parallel with the side. I came up with 80". Since tires can have different dimensions, mine are Duratrac 33x12.5R15's on 10" rims. I measured it to know how tall a trailer door needed to be.

Put an 8' door in the garage if you can. Mine is on 35's and a 4" lift and it clears fine. We work in a garage at a buddies house and he runs 39's and his still fits in an 8' door as well.

I just measured mine at 81". I think that my lift is 4" but it was done quite a while ago. 78, 33" BFG MT's on stock rims..

33x10.50s BFG ATs. About 1" or so over stock. It's about 78". So 80" seems about right.

I agree with others thinking... But I'd take it a step further. I'd put in the tallest door I can. With a tight fitting rack the 40 is about 6'9" with nothing on it.

My other rig is 8'3" per the dash label... But it's closer to 8'6" per my measurements. I'd like a 9' + door. 10' would be better so it'd still fit with a RTT on top.

Mine barely fits with a 7' door, because a 7' door is only 6'9" ish :D

I had a similar problem. My 40 has a 4 inch lift and 35's. It sits around 82 inches tall with the soft op on and 80 inches with the hardtop. My garage opening was only 78 inches tall so I removed the old door and notched 8 inches out of the header. Then I installed one of these roll up doors. Wasn't cheap, around $500 delivered, but it was an easy install and my 40 is very secure now. New door is very strong and is not in the way rolled up. I made it so it cannot be opened from outside my garage for extra security. No regrets so far. Good luck! ☺

iso-rollup-door-370.jpg

@edwjmcgrath I have a similar setup and if when I put the top on I will have an inch and a half to play with. That is with OEM steelies and BF Goodrich MT KO2 33X10.5X15. BTW how is the ride with those tires??? I am also considering the AT's in same side but not sure how well they mount on the OEM steelies-have heard the MT's mount very well

@edwjmcgrath I have a similar setup and if when I put the top on I will have an inch and a half to play with. That is with OEM steelies and BF Goodrich MT KO2 33X10.5X15. BTW how is the ride with those tires??? I am also considering the AT's in same side but not sure how well they mount on the OEM steelies-have heard the MT's mount very well
The tires ride great offroad and are just fine around town and even on the highway.

@edwjmcgrath Noisy or not as bad as the older design?? Our rigs appear to be setup quite similar...............

Last edited:
@edwjmcgrath how are the M/T's in the snow? I am hearing conflicting things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom