Builds Rig of the Fortnight Cruisin' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was feeling very mixed emotions looking at the dash at that moment. :frown:/:) Got the cooling issues sorted out now though, and no lasting ill effects from the excess heat :bounce:

So I guess at that many kms its broken in now...

200,000 KMS not even close to broken in hahaha
mine has done 478,000kms and just done its first head gasket
so you got plenty left

nice truck mate love the barwork you have added definay need one of those roof top tents for :princess: and kids

turtle

I was feeling very mixed emotions looking at the dash at that moment. :frown:/:) Got the cooling issues sorted out now though, and no lasting ill effects from the excess heat :bounce:

So I guess at that many kms its broken in now...

What was wrong with cooling?

Jason, which brand of gauges did you end up getting?

attachment.php

^^ Those look just like my Isspro gauges.

On second glance, they're definitely Isspro.

^^ Those look just like my Isspro gauges.

On second glance, they're definitely Isspro.

Thanks Douglas. Recommend a place to get them? I've heard good things about Isspro.

To get legal I had to put new headlights on it (sourced from Cruiserparts.net), stick some extra reflectors on the front bumper, and new tires. Sadly I had only just discovered Mud while I was waiting for the truck to come over, and I hadn’t read yet that 285s will fit with no lift. I put 265 Toyo Open Country A/Ts on it, and that’s really my only regret because I have to wear them out before putting 285s on, and they’re lasting quite well. Anyway, the place that did the inspection said it was one of the cleanest imports that they had inspected, and gave it a clean bill of health.

It came stock with some fun stuff:
· Console fridge with ice maker
· CDL switch
· Diff locks
· Turbo timer
· Body mounted swing-out tire carrier
· Big lights up front
· Nice suede-look cloth seats
· Rancho 9000 shocks
· Compass & altimeter mounted on the ceiling

Since then I’ve gotten to know the truck pretty well. I’ve done a bunch of PM stuff:
· Changed the fateful BEBs. The #1 and #4 shells were quite bad.
· Changed diff fluids
· Changed t-case fluid
· Changed tranny fluid (at the same time as installing the trans cooler)
· Coolant Flush
· Rebuilt rear calipers & new pads (apparently dragging rear brakes can be good for a 1mpg + difference in milage. Oh my!)
· Replaced a couple u-joints in the rear shaft

I’ve gotten a few mods done, and have more waiting in the wings. So far I have
· Built sliders (I’m a ticketed welder, so building stuff is right up my alley)
· Modified a hitch from the ’91 pickup to fit this truck. Tucks nicely under the bumper too
· Wired 7 prong trailer plug, including charge line with solenoid for the trailer battery
· Wired brake controller
· Installed a heavy duty tranny cooler for towing the 18’ travel trailer we had bought
· Installed Alpine CD/MP3/Ipod deck
· Installed 4 new door speakers
· Installed 10” sub with amp
· Installed 3” turbo-back straight exhaust

Next up:
· I’ve started a new rear bumper. So far the rear bumper caps are off, and I’ve been taking measurements and making sketches. Actual work should start in the next week. I’m leaving the rear cross member in, so it will be a two piece unit. Probably make a swing-out for a bike rack. I have the stock body mounted tire carrier, so I don’t need one of those.
· Spring spacers are coming soon. I currently don’t have the $$$ for a 2.5” OME lift, so I think I’ll space the rear up about ¾, and the front 1 ½. This is mainly to offset the weight of some of the stuff I’m building for it.
· Front bumper maybe. Something one-off, but might look like a cross between an ARB and a Shortbus. Or maybe it will look like something else entirely, guess you’ll have to wait and see.
· Roof basket. This is on the longer list.
View attachment 308444View attachment 308445View attachment 308446

Hi nice truck man. Any more info on your exhaust would be sweet more pics what muffler, resonator you used, where it exits. I know I know but my whole exhaust is shot and I need to replace it. My brother is a wicked welder, fabber so I just need more info and a bottle of whiskey for him, and voila a new exhaust

Hey Grumpy,

As an update to the rig, I ran the exhaust for about 5 years till it rusted away, and have recently gone full stainless. I used 304ss, with a Magnaflow straight through muffler. On a customer's truck I tried joining the pipes with stainless clamps that wrap the pipes at a butt-joint. They work really nice for giving some adjustment both in rotation, and length, then when you tighten them up they're rock solid. I follow the stock routing, and exit just behind the rear tire.

HTHs

The rig looks a bit different now, with the current mods on it. I'm at 4" Ironman Comp lift, and 35s, as well as snorkel, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment. Its been a while since updating this thread for sure!!!

IMG_0879.JPG

Final update to this thread

On December 1, 2015 I was in a very serious accident in this truck. I was t-boned by an F250 that ran a stop sign at 50mph. The impact sent me though a concrete barricade, and the truck finally came to rest upside down in a deep ditch. The fact that I was driving an RHD saved my life. I suffered a severe concussion, and 8 months later my back still hurts all the time. In spite of that I'm thankful to God everyday that I'm alive.

The Cruiser held up amazingly well, though was a total loss. I'm bought it back from the insurance company, and have been parting it out.

I am now building a 1995 HDJ81 with the 1HD-FT engine, and will start a build thread for that another time.

IMG_8604.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

Last edited:
Damned shame...was a good looking ride. Hope your back pain goes away!

Holy crap.

I had no idea.

holy crap

what did the other guy look like?

and what was his deal? glad you made it...

:eek:

Jason's new ride is pretty nice and it will build into a very nice truck - I'm a little jealous.

Here's to your health Jason!

Reading this was like reading the book after you've already seen the movie - enjoyable but coloured by already knowing how the story ends :(
I remember more than a few times watching that truck with no lift and 32s do things it had no right being able to do, never mind once it was lifted on 35s. Then it just made everything look boring :flipoff2:

Oh well, (luckily in this case) life goes on and it's replacement is a freakin' beaut!
RIP original Cruisin' 81. Your life may have been easier if you weren't destined to be a test mule for Jason's armour, but it wouldn't have been as fun :D

28595458485_1537a29daa_b.jpg

Final update to this thread

On December 1, 2016 I was in a very serious accident in this truck.

Must have been a big hit that knocked you into the future!!
If you are not predicting the future you may want to change that date so it doesn't happen again.

Wow! Had not heard about the accident; that's one serious hit there man.

Glad you made it through and I wish you the best for a full recovery. In the mean time enjoy the new ride/build

I get to play with set of skids from you shortly on a friends 80.... They look amazing just layed out on the shop floor.

holy crap

what did the other guy look like?

and what was his deal? glad you made it...

Its messy. Dude was okay, but he was an old guy driving with no licence, no plates, no insurance... Not good. His old F250 was about a foot shorter on the front end.

Must have been a big hit that knocked you into the future!!
If you are not predicting the future you may want to change that date so it doesn't happen again.

Fixed it...

IMG_8605.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom