Anyone Running 17's? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone has 17's on the stock height. I have an opportunity to get 5 255/75R17 BFGoodrich MT's with wheels from a Rubicon. I think that the hole pattern lines up too. I'm also concerned that I'm still on my old tired 2F. I have plans to upgrade but it could be a while. Thoughts on this size? Anyone have pics of the same size setup?

wheel.jpg

Is this a joke?

You can run 17" rims on a Cruiser; so long as the back spacing is less than 3 1/2" and the center hole is large enough. However, your suggested Jeep option won't work. The bolt pattern is completely different. 6 lug vs. 5 lug for starters. All FJ-6x series have 6 on 5.5" lug spacing. Stock backspacing is 3 3/8". Most 3 1/2" fit fine. Some wheels don't clear the front brake caliper.

Spend some time here:

Wheels that work, part numbers

And in the FAQ section.

Is this a joke?
What part? I'm asking if they would work. I don't have the coin to get fresh wheels and tires and I could do a trade on this deal. I don't care about the wheels as much as the tires.

The wheels won't work.
17" wheels will work up to 4" backspace, but that is a fairly skinny tire so a 6-8" rim would work.
IF you do this deal, look for stock FJ cruiser steelies and a set of spacers. They would be a cheaper
wheel in the 17" diameter and it might work for you.
I would suggest you decline this trade and keep looking. Lots of deals on combinations that are direct
bolt on.
Since you are in Colorado, and looking for second hand. How far from Grand Junction are you?
Call Mike at Metric Offroad. He has a selection of used that will work, no fuss and might even
be willing to do a swap/trade.
Toyota Repair, Sales, Parts, Restoration Grand Junction, CO

Yes 17's can fit.

No those rims won't

And 17" rims can work with backspacing deeper than 3.5" but it depends on the rim

What part? I'm asking if they would work. I don't have the coin to get fresh wheels and tires and I could do a trade on this deal. I don't care about the wheels as much as the tires.
The part where you say you think the bolt patterns line up. The common assumption is that you can count and discern between the number five and the number six so maybe you were messing with us.
David

Last edited:
The part where you say you think the bolt patterns line up. The common assumption is that you can count and discern between the number five and the number six so maybe you were messing with us.
David
My mistake...I've only had my cruiser for several months now. I misread info on the wheels instead of going back to my storage and counting lugs as well as checking offset.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a 17" rim to run 33' if you go offroad. A 15" rim gets you more "tire", which will work better when aired down. If you don't wheel, then nevermind.

15" rims are losing the popularity battle in the tire world. It's not a bad time to switch to a 17.

FWIW, there does seem to be a better selection of old school 3.5"/4" BS wheels offered in 16" wheel.
Getting a nice metric sized 33" tire is a slightly more stock width tire I think also has larger options.
I only went with 17" wheels because I got hung up on the 285/75R17 Toyo MT's for my 60. In hindsight,
I probably would have been better served to go to a 16" rim and maybe a slightly less tall tire.
There is still a pathetic small amount of selection in widths and backspace options in 17".
I would suggest save money and go 15" used, or look at 16" for variety as well.

I searched high and low for a 17x9 with 3.5 BS. I got these. They fit my 60 with stock calipers, no rubbing, no spacers. They may too wide for skinny tires though.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-98-7983s3-5/overview/

^^^^ what he said. If you do not plan to run spacers... save yourself endless research on 17's and go back to the wheels that work thread. I believe there are only a few , maybe two options that do not require either spacers, or other modifications.

^^^^ what he said. If you do not plan to run spacers... save yourself endless research on 17's and go back to the wheels that work thread. I believe there are only a few , maybe two options that do not require either spacers, or other modifications.
Thanks. I walked away from the Jeep wheels. Didn't realize the hole numbers were different at the time. I wasn't a big fan of the look of the rim, but I was going to essentially get the whole package for free - trading for something I don't need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom