Best auxiliary lighting for your buck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, what do you guys think the best bang for the buck is for your scene lighting? I'm starting to think about lights and locations. I'm also designing a front bumper so I'm thinking about what I'd like to mount on it. I have the 3/4 basket...it stops at the sunroof.
So what do you think about mounting where? Bumper vs basket, both? Spot vs. flood pattern. I was thinking about two floods on the bumper, and a scene light/ flood (smaller) on each side (driver, pass, rear) of basket. All LED. What are you guys running and why? Thanks for the tips!

I'm running a 52 in. spot/flood combo light up on my roof rack with 4 flood pods on the rear of the rack. I have a 16 in. fllood light I plan on putting in front of my grill for fog lights. Also another 4 per side pods for the sides. Got them all on amazon for pretty cheap well except the 16 in. it's from ddm I got it for doing some work to a buddies jeep. I might run ditch lights above tail lights and behind mirrors but we'll see when I have all the roof rack lights up. Here's some pics/info.
Low Budget Roof Rack

For scene lighting the best bang for your buck will probably be the Kawell LED's from amazon. For driving lights see if you can find a used set of IPF, Lightforce, etc. I got a used set of IPF 900's last year for about $65 shipped, talk about some lighting power, you can run a 135w H3 in them or convert to HID !

You should think over the purpuse of the roof light.
Powerfull front light is better have on bumper and have not LED, cause it bull****.
I have two long range 50W HID lamps first on my bumper and they worked awesome.
Then I changed it to the light LED bar 250W. Now I suffer from my chioce. The power is very strong and you may read a book at a 1000meters far away, but if you sit at the drivers place everething is overlighted and you see about 100meters, no more far(
In winter if it is snow every where it became a serious problem.
LED dont have sharp edge and light goes everywhere to the bottom and to the top, and for front there is very small light power left.
My two 50W HID were much more efficient then 250W LED bar.

Roof point.
There are two vatiants of roof light.
Work light and drive light.
Work light is for camping, working near the rig and so on. Where you look to the car side from the out.
If the lamps dont have sharp top edge and is not directed to the bottom(ground) it will blind you, and you will course you lamps less then in an hour.

Drive light may have no top sharp edge and it helps you to orient in forest and mountains roads, where you need to see high obstacles and object.
Make sure that your Light bar is pretty far away from front roof edge, otherwise it will blind you reflecting from bonnet. Bonnet wil shine like a christmas tree and your eyes will suffer. And it is a real problem, trust me.

To make a panorama view you should have lamps that directed to the sides and couple lamps in the rear. It is very helpful especially in forest and in offroad where you need to work with your steering wiil hard. You simply look to the side and you see everthing before rig is turn to that side. Is very very good option.

I have 8 lamps. Hella HID flood beam. front 2 looks towards. front 2 looks 45 deg to the sides. front 2 looks 90 deg to the sides. rear 2 looks 30 deg to the sides. So I have completely panorama view from my car.
But as I said before there is not a camp work light.It is difficult to look to the car side at all. For exumple your (here I dont know how to call that man in english, we call it navagator, man who work with you winch rope, direct you in offroad, dig snow and mud, hook ropes to another rigs) "man" will not b glad if you roof light will work. But witout them he see nothing.

About switshing. You know that you may blind another cars on road, on off road.
All additional power light have a different switches front bumper, front roof, rear. And one swiths that may turn it off all at ones.
So if you drive with all your lights and meet oposite car, i can simply push one button to shut all lights down.
BTW I use the Overdrive button for it on selector, and overdrive function transfer to another button because I never use it.
P8140072.JPG
DSC04468.JPG
DSC04226.JPG
DSC04448.JPG
P8140084.JPG

View attachment 1202268 For driving lights, it hard to beat Lightforce.

They weren't cheap, but the 55W lightforce HIDs that I mounted on the front bumper make quite a difference when driving at night. Especially at higher speeds in rural areas where elk, deer, and wild horses like to hang out on the road. You can see animals from literally a mile away and the extra light really does reduce the stain on your eyes.

I've got to agree with Alic about the LED lights. Light everywhere, not directed properly. I run pretty cheap
Pro Comp 8" 130 lights. They are about $54 on amazon each and certainly aren't expensive, but they shine farther
than my land cruiser can travel at speed so good enough. They don't overheat, bulbs last forever, and the amp draw
isn't unbearable. The pattern is actually pretty good, I use the driving pattern.

Last edited:
Ive run IPF,KS Day lighters, PIAA Dual beam and Now Lightforce HID 50 watt.So far they seem the brightest with extra lens covers to change patterns is a great option. Now i need to try Led. I have one for backup light Led Rigid DD.

This might be a n00b question, but what's wrong with the Hella 500 series. They're like $50 a pair.

Your current headlights are probably brighter than those Hellas. I have had them in the past, and was completely underwhelmed.

Last edited:
How about for a 24v truck like mine? I have been searching for the right pair for this bumper but so far haven't settled on anything, it has two mounting tabs on the top. I am ready to mount my winch and the lights so appreciate the input. Oh, it's lifted 3" now as well so I am not afraid of bigger lights

TIQEmgs.jpg

czeIGru.jpg

QDdtLPQ.jpg

Anyone here, especially from Australia, familiar with or have opinion about the
Fyrlyt Genesis 9000?

Anyone here, especially from Australia, familiar with or have opinion about the
Fyrlyt Genesis 9000?

I have the Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 lights and like them a lot. They put out an amazing amount of light in both spot and wide configurations (which you can change in seconds). I have tried and still use various other types of lights including some spendy LED bars, but the Fyrlyts beat them all easily.

Am running them on my BJ74 which is 24V so the wiring is pretty straight forward and the price is lower. I used the factory fog/driving light switch and wiring to trigger relays I added for each light, following the instructions from Fyrlyt. One note is that these things pull a lot of amps, so watch your alternator output and other draws on the electrical system and get the wiring right to avoid issues.

Mounted easily to the front porch
topofthesand.jpg

A random night shot...in spot mode
trucklitefyrlyt.jpg

That is what I read, that they are very good lights. I have a 24V Bj74 too so that is what I'm looking at them for.
There did seem to be quite a difference in the pricing. Where would you recommend the best price for these?
I found DHL is worldwide so I don't care where they are. BobOtte, I think this is what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom