Pritchnakoff's Black Beauty Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High time I started an actual thread on Mud, been a long time lurker as this site is one of the foremost authorities for information gathering for Toyota owners. I'm an active member across many other forums (Gitout.com | Toyota120 | T4R.com | Expedition Portal | Land Cruiser Club) so many of you may recognize my handle.

To make my entry short, I was the original owner of a 2004 4Runner that was built to suite and it was stolen on Christmas eve. I was finally obligated to make an account on Mud in order to participate in the classifieds; well after 6 long months of searching, I've finally made a deal on a 1998 100 Series.

So it's time to start fresh with a new journey of mods and off-road adventures.

My stolen 4Runner

My new 100 Series

Last edited:
I'm a 4th gen 4Runner to 100 series'er too and couldn't be happier. The 4runner gets better mileage and feels sportier, but the LX is miles ahead as far as comfort, aftermarket, and the larger space is awesome. Its also nice to feel a bit more sophisticated vs. the brorunner if that makes sense (I'll probably get crap for that).

Good looking 100 though! I've been debating the snorkel for a while now. It looks awesome on the black, not so much on my white.

ZhOIx53l.jpg

7dK79Rfl.jpg

Looks good man. Anymore pics?
Xetabur, thanks!

Here's the link to the dealer site showcasing 45 pics inside and out. She came with high miles but 6 pages of service records so that calmed my fears a little bit, plus our family grocery getter is a 2005 Land Cruiser (my wife didn't want to part with it for an offroad vehicle - LOL).

I'm a 4th gen 4Runner to 100 series'er too and couldn't be happier. The 4runner gets better mileage and feels sportier, but the LX is miles ahead as far as comfort, aftermarket, and the larger space is awesome. Its also nice to feel a bit more sophisticated vs. the brorunner if that makes sense (I'll probably get crap for that).

Good looking 100 though! I've been debating the snorkel for a while now. It looks awesome on the black, not so much on my white.

ZhOIx53l.jpg

7dK79Rfl.jpg

Ramathorn, both great looking vehicles! I totally get where you are coming from, the LC is "right there" in capability and has all the creature comforts I could ever want; that keeps the wife happy when we are gone for multiple days.

no link. good looking either way.

I traded in a 2008 4Runner for my LX470. I liked the 4Runner, but it had some flaws from an off-road capability standpoint in my opinion and I wanted something larger to fit my kids and camping gear in.

After driving the LX I can see a distinct upgrade in the quality of the components and the build of the 100 series. The interior in the 4Runner felt cheap and shoddy compared to the 100.

The 100 also suits my needs off-road a lot better. I've yet to ask something of it without it laughing at me and saying "is that all"

Haha. M&M tends to buy lots of 100s and LX 470s. Welcome to the club! Enjoy the ride. Being as you got a 98. I'd highly recommend throwing a locker in the front before the OEM diff explodes on you. Besides that, swap the heater Ts and you should be good as long as you are up to date on scheduled maintenance.

After a week of normal driving, I'm finally getting to wrenching...
:beer::beer:

While I am pretty capable, I wanted a baseline Toyota Tech overview, so I laid out some cash and did a 30K Service + all differentials oil change + coolant flush (I noticed on the drive home from the original sales dealer she was running hotter than I would have liked to see). Picking up the rig from the steelership and she was in tip top shape purring away. After "getting on it" on the freeway home, I noticed again that the temp gauge was showing pretty hot and just after a full coolant flush and replace. It must be the thermostat, so as always some quick searches on Mud revealed a wonderful Thermostat Change Write-Up (thanks @Newps). 25 minutes later, my warm engine temps are a thing of the past!

Next on the list after much research and suggestions above were the Heater T's; again brilliant Heather T Replacement Write-Up (thanks @paflytyer); shiny new OEM Ts are in.

Now that I'm feeling good with engine, it's time to start the wheelin' mods...

my 98 (black is my DD) just about to make 1yr on my build and engine swap... I did rhino line my bumpers black and painted the side trim black... a new engine, basic baseline, R&P bushings, touch screen, 18" tires and wheels, and it is my go to vehicle ... i have really enjoyed this truck... hope you have the same experience as me (like you my wife's everyday is a lx470 and a lx450 is sitting as a backup...

Unfortunately another maintenance post, I feel like it's getting to a solid state though. Driving around and all of a sudden the CEL pops up, what could that be; truck is running in great shape nothing noticeable?! I plug in my OBDII gauge and it says P0307: #7 Cylinder Ignition misfire. As always some great write-ups on this topic with videos:

Short Thread (thanks @suprarx7nut)

Long Discussion (thanks @2001LC)

Got an OEM replacement delivered and swapped out the ignition coil on cylinder #7 cleared the codes and re-scanned :clap: all things back to normal. I guess it made for some easy/fun wrenching over the weekend!

Well not very exciting; however I purchased the Front & Rear Weather Tech laser cut floor liners and they arrived today. I guess a little excitement for a Tuesday afternoon?! I did want to pass on the smoking deal I got - $161.12 shipped to my door!!! That's over $40 bucks cheaper than Weather Tech's site!!!

I found them on North America Parts website, they are having a 25% off + plus free shipping over $99 dollar sale and on a quick web search before I pulled the trigger I found another 15% off bonus coupon code specifically for the liners: WTFLASH15.

In case anyone is on the fence or looking for a deal, I highly recommend them, they were legit in the factory box product and came UPS Delivery in just a couple days!

Happy Hunting
:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom