Which mud terrain is better for sand dunes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I did look into these and was close to pulling the trigger. But the load range E did me in.

Again, there are - some - options in 265x70r17; however, there are few and mostly in E range.

While the exact same tire can be found in 15 and 16 but also in ranges c, d, and e.

The "Mud" tires that are commonly available now a days are glorified street tires that help when in muddy conditions. True mud tires have a much greater void ratio in the tread. Swampers, gumbo monster mudders, ground hawgs, SImex etc.. Those tires are poor on the street but dig in the mud like you would not believe.

You are putting way too much thought into the load range of a tire. You mention swampers as your first choice, however the sidewalls are much stiffer due to the bias ply design than a typical radial is regardless of the load range (I'm not aware of any load range E radial that will not have a sidewall bulge at 5 psi unless it's not mounted on a truck). Pressure is your friend. The lower in the sand, the better. At high pressures, all gravel roads suck.

A lot of the factory wheels have a "bigger" safety bead. 8 psi in the sand is probably fine, in the rocks that's pretty low without beadlocks. I generally run about 10 to 12 on my 60 and basically let the 40's air down till the "wiggle" a lot when kicked. Generally, starting at 15 and then seeing how low you can go from there works fine. Very few rims will pop a bead at 15 psi.

What size tires did you buy after all?
Also thanks for telling me about the real mudders you mentioned.

The gumbo monsters were made by gateway. I found gateway, like maxxis, ironically makes a buckshot mudder as well.

That would have been the tire for me. In the available 31x9.5x15C bias ply the 4runner woulda been in beast mode.

But no. Thanks toyota. Don't worry about us silly customers who want to take full advantage of the elocker and A-trac that we paid for and makes the Toyota one of the best offroad vehicles ever.

Again, I would not focus on the load range. That can easily be accommodated with moderating the air in the tires..

If you really want to take full advantage of the e-locker and A-trac get a slightly larger tire and call it good.

Goodyear has a great tire as well

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar
gy_wrang_mtr_kev_bw_pdpcrop.jpg

Again, I would not focus on the load range. That can easily be accommodated with moderating the air in the tires..

If you really want to take full advantage of the e-locker and A-trac get a slightly larger tire and call it good.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's not just the atrac and elocker I want to take advantage of. The 4runner had awesome articulation and gearing. Going with a bigger tire would hamper that.

The "Mud" tires that are commonly available now a days are glorified street tires that help when in muddy conditions. True mud tires have a much greater void ratio in the tread. Swampers, gumbo monster mudders, ground hawgs, SImex etc.. Those tires are poor on the street but dig in the mud like you would not believe.

You are putting way too much thought into the load range of a tire. You mention swampers as your first choice, however the sidewalls are much stiffer due to the bias ply design than a typical radial is regardless of the load range (I'm not aware of any load range E radial that will not have a sidewall bulge at 5 psi unless it's not mounted on a truck). Pressure is your friend. The lower in the sand, the better. At high pressures, all gravel roads suck.

A lot of the factory wheels have a "bigger" safety bead. 8 psi in the sand is probably fine, in the rocks that's pretty low without beadlocks. I generally run about 10 to 12 on my 60 and basically let the 40's air down till the "wiggle" a lot when kicked. Generally, starting at 15 and then seeing how low you can go from there works fine. Very few rims will pop a bead at 15 psi.

What size tires did you buy after all?
Can you provide me real mud tire brands please? Many of the ones you mentioned have been discontinued.

I am seriously upset right now that there is a gateway buckshot mudder available is 32x10.5x16 bias ply. That would have been the tire to make my 4runner a lady in the streets and a freak in the sheets (offroad).

I ended up going with maxxis buckshot 764 265X70R17C and am very pleased with their performance in the sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom