Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Burgman & @scottryana Just a heads up gents, but one of you live in Richmond, VA and the other is Richmond, BC, Canada. I don't think you're going to find the same shop ;)

Very cool! Right now I live right in the middle of downtown, at 8th and Main in the old First National Bank building. I had to rent the place sight unseen as I was driving across country, so I probably won't be staying in this place after December, I really need a place with my own garage. ha.

At this point I do not know of any good land cruiser shops. Being a District Manager for Oreilly Auto Parts I do know of a few shops that do better work than others. Not sure who I will be taking the cruiser to though for some of the work i wont be doing myself. For caster i ordered a set of the Man a Fre control arm mounts. And have a set of Fox shocks waiting on me to be installed.

What part of Richmond are you in? My district is everything Northeast of the river and Midlothian. Amd I office out of our hub store at the corner of Staples Mill anf Glenside.

Haha while that would be very funny. Richmond VA, is neighbored by Midlothian, Staples Mills and Glenside, so I think we are in the same country at least :hillbilly:

@Burgman & @scottryana Just a heads up gents, but one of you live in Richmond, VA and the other is Richmond, BC, Canada. I don't think you're going to find the same shop ;)

Almost had me there but going through the last page of this build I am 98% sure we are both talking about Richmond Va USA.

Almost had me there but going through the last page of this build I am 98% sure we are both talking about Richmond Va USA.

Sorry about the confusion haha. There is also a Prince George in BC, Canada so when you said lived near Prince George I assumed it was in Canada. Sorry again!

Haha no worries! It was funny and I could totally see that happening.

Sorry about the confusion haha. There is also a Prince George in BC, Canada so when you said lived near Prince George I assumed it was in Canada. Sorry again!

Holes patched and first coat of primer down before any real body work starts.

7_18_16_001.sized.jpg

7_18_16_028.sized.jpg

7_18_16_037.sized.jpg

7_18_16_040.sized.jpg

7_18_16_041.sized.jpg

7_18_16_042.sized.jpg

7_18_16_043.sized.jpg

No snorkel on this truck! Closest thing to a snorkel this truck will get, is going to be when @Heckraiser figures out his carbon fiber blinker air scoop!! :smokin::steer:

Impressive!

Don't let them forget about cutting the hole for the snorkel.

"Everyone knows that those who do snork, are the only cool ones and not just some dork,"
sneetchlogo.gif

It is always something with this build. Lol

So after getting ahold of CP and showing them photos of their piston spec sheet and pictures measuring their wrist pins to prove that they do not match. I finally got them to agree to send me out new wrist pins. Awesome! Well they get here today and I am excited to get them opened up. And ugh they sent me the cheapest thinnest (0.165") pins they offer in that size. Knowing I upgraded my pins (0.220"), knowing my power goals and the fact I ordered the strongest rods they offer.

So I guess I am done with them. I am not even going to fight with them any more. I will just eat the $180 cost to buy H13 pins from Trend. But really when did companies just start turning to s***. They sent the wrong pins out, completely wrong dimensions. I offered to return them, (off the shelf part) and then they agree to fix their mistake and their fix is sending me pins that would likely not hold up to the load. :mad:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It's not just small companies. I had an issue with a starter not fitting on a crate 5.3L. If one more person at GM performance told me that it "should" fit I was going to loose it. No kidding, it should fit, but it does not. Actually the tech line at Summit Racing was far more helpful than GM performance.

Keep the faith, loving the build!

I am not even going to fight with them any more. I will just eat the $180 cost to buy H13 pins from Trend. But really when did companies just start turning to s***. :mad:

Sucks, but I see no reason to take the high road and eat the cost, smallish as it may be. Hold them accountable and maybe they see that it matters to get things right.

It kills me to see crappy stuff happen to you on this project. It's ground breaking stuff and has been great following along but easy for me to say keep going when it's not my money. But, for what it's worth, keep going!

Yeah it was such a fight to even get them to send these, even when it was clearly their mistake. I will just order exactly what I need from Trend Performance, they gave me 2 options first option was H13 tool steel $34 and 217g per pin, second option was TP1 steel $125 and 185g per pin, sooooo I will be going with the first option unless there is a rich sponsor out there. haha. They are even stronger than the 0.220" 9310 steel that I ordered from CP, so with these pins and Carillo rods, I should be good for 275hp per cylinder. I will be adding nitrous at some point. haha.

Sucks, but I see no reason to take the high road and eat the cost, smallish as it may be. Hold them accountable and maybe they see that it matters to get things right.

LOL! And here I'd be happy with 275 HP from all 6 cylinders:cheers:

Sunroof is out. New panel is shaped and should get welded in maybe tomorrow. Looking at maybe Friday or next week to lay down the Tuxedo black.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dang, they're moving fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom