81 BJ42 - I have to bring it home and pass inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bulbs were just off Ebay from China. The vent covers are lasered out of .06 alum and bent and tack welded. I'm saving the ones I got of you for the eventual resto on this rig.

These are all red. I bought the flat one for the rear marker light in case the taller one didn't fit but the taller one is quite a bit brighter and does fit.

The trick I followed was to use red bulbs in red lenses etc. Works better than white bulbs in red lenses. Yellow for yellow etc.
image.jpeg

Flat top:
image.jpeg

Taller one:
image.jpeg

I'm at work right now but I'll try and compose something tonight with pictures and post up.

Thanks I'll read through it.

Hey Kevin!

Have you the part #'s for those bulbs? Im looking to replace mine on the 42. Also have you ever replaced any cluster bulbs? Mine are pretty dim id love to go led on those or even some brighter reg bulbs.

I just searched Ebay for 1156 or 1157 24V LED and paid attention to the physical size of the emitters.

For the dash I tried some red LED wedge bulbs but the seller sent me 12V bulbs rather than the 24V as indicated in his ad. They smoked and burnt out in a few minutes. I went red to match my EGT, Tach and Boost gauges. I ended up with clear 5W incandescent bulbs (stock is 3W IIRC). I removed the little metal shrouds from over the bulbs and re-painted the inside of the cluster a bright white. This eliminated the dim dash syndrome. Very bright after this mod. Almost need to use the dimmer to turn it down with all of the flat glass reflecting it; can't look through the drivers side and see anything but gauges.

wow there is a lot! tough to choose who to order from.

1156 or 1157 can be used the same correct?

1156 (or equivalent) is single filament for clearance or stock turn signal. The bulb has two little buttons on the socket that key into the receptacle and they are at the same height from the bottom of the bulb. It also has just one contactor on the bottom in the center.

1157 is double filament for running light/ brake light. The bulb has two little buttons on the socket that key into the receptacle and they are staggered at different heights from the bottom of the bulb. It also has two contactors on the bottom side by side.

sockets.jpg

On my mind all the time. I want to take this rig off the trails and take it back to 100% stock. But I have to build up my 45 first - it will definitely not be stock.

Thanks for the tip on your new thread Kevin.

Reading through your threads gives me a warm feeling and makes my heart go pity-pat... :D:DMy wife's not even jealous, she just rolls her eyes when she sees that I am on Mud again. Sheilas...:meh: they just can't understand - no Y chromosome, so it's not their fault.

I had to add from earlier in your thread: After living in Australia for seven years, I am VERY HAPPY to be back in the US. I love the people in Australia, but the cost of living, the endless rules, laws, cameras and regulations and the heat wore me down; give me the North American West any day, even with our booming population.

I have spent a lot of time in New Zealand and really love it there. However, it is more expensive than even Australia and they have most of the same silly nanny-state rules which make Australia such an Orwellian place to be.

Overall, Australia will allways be a part of me and I am proud to be Australian and American, but it is a far better place to retire than to live in as a middle-aged bloke. All of the rules, etc. would be great when one is 70 or 75, but when one is 40-ish, it just gets old and tiresome. When we retire, my wife and I will definately go back and use their health system and pension. I'll even ring one of the many, many dob-in lines (toll free tattle tale phone numbers for everything from illegal watering to whether or not your neighbour's car is unregistered) to tell the coppers that someone is hooning by on a bicycle without a helmet, just to fit in.

I felt like I needed to read a rule book every morning when I got up to make sure I did not get a ticket: bike helmet? check. Flouro vest? Check. Safety gear? Check. Elbow safely inside car window? Check. Number plate clean so cameras can see me? Check. All appropriate paperwork handy? Check. The list went on and on.

OK, rant off. Now to sit back and read what the Aussies (most of whom go out of Australia for holidays... ever wonder why that is?)say...

Josh
Ahem... not all of us Sheila’s are the same sir ;)
As a matter of fact, my husband is the one rolling his eyes while im on mud taking in all the information I can as I’m about to start doing a restoration on a pretty rusted out ‘81 Bj42.
Lol... the only difference is, my husband IS very much jealous of my addition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom