I feel gassy - or my truck does (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
STRONG gas smell coming from the truck lately (its been hot). I replaced the Carcoal canister with the GM Pontiac one about 3 years ago but the smell is back. No gas tank pressure, but a strong gas smell. Could this already be saturated? Any other obvious places to look for a strong gas smell (no leaking, doesn't smell like liquid gas, smells like gas vapors)

I would check the lines on top of the gas tank and check your gas tank for signs of of leaking. You probably won't see fuel hit the ground unless you have a very large leak but gas will leave clean streaks if it's leaking from somewhere.

I would check the lines on top of the gas tank and check your gas tank for signs of of leaking. You probably won't see fuel hit the ground unless you have a very large leak but gas will leave clean streaks if it's leaking from somewhere.

is the only access from the cargo area to the top of the tank?

"No gas tank pressure". Meaning when you remove the cap there is no pressure release? If so the cap gap gasket could be the culprit. Especially if the odor is strongest near the left rear of the vehicle.

"No gas tank pressure". Meaning when you remove the cap there is no pressure release? If so the cap gap gasket could be the culprit. Especially if the odor is strongest near the left rear of the vehicle.
yes, no pressure release. I could replace the gasket as a precaution, is it an item thats still in stock? Also, any real danger to driving it around for a while like this? (I have a fire extinguisher onboard as well)

Also, if the cap was not sealing, wouldn't it throw an evap code?

Earlier systems do not monitor evap pressure like current vehicles. In any event an evap code would show up when the tank is not holding pressure for any reason, not just the cap.
Gas cap gaskets are available as special-order items but cost damn near as much as a whole new cap.

Earlier systems do not monitor evap pressure like current vehicles. In any event an evap code would show up when the tank is not holding pressure for any reason, not just the cap.
Gas cap gaskets are available as special-order items but cost damn near as much as a whole new cap.
Yeah, I just called LHM, and they have the cap. Worth the $30 piece of mind if its the cause. I will also be checking for gas leaks. Would the likely places be at the fuel pump gasket?

I would check all 4 sides of the tank for clean streaks, otherwise just follow the supply and return lines to and from the tank checking for leaks.

I would check all 4 sides of the tank for clean streaks, otherwise just follow the supply and return lines to and from the tank checking for leaks.

Thanks, will do. Picked up the new caps, so we'll see how it smells tonight when I'm tracking down a brake controller issue as well.

I have the exact same issue that started after a 27 hour run to the Grand Canyon and back last Friday Saturday. I had major pressure after removing the cap and replaced my CC last night with Delco 215-153 if memory serves. The smell is still very strong but no pressure when removing the cap now. Fumes in the house are angering my better half. it's stupid hot here just like the weekend trip but this is the 3rd summer with this truck send I've never had this issue. No streaks or signs of leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom