Brakes wearing unevenly, replacement options. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rfj62

SILVER Star
Threads
I got my 2012 4Runner inspected in May, the dealer told me that the brakes were getting low and probably will need to be replaced by winter, he also told me that the rear brakes were lower then the front which I found odd, I thought the fronts always wear quicker. I have about 48,000 miles on the original brakes. Over the past few weeks a squeal has developed, sounds like the low wear indicator. I look at rear pads and found some uneven wearing on the inside pad. The top of the pad is almost down to bare metal while the bottom has a decent amount of life left.

IMG_8327.JPG

Top is on left. There is more usable pad from top to bottom.

IMG_8329.JPG

I have to get a new set of pads and rotors because the rotors are also warped. I like the feel of the factory Toyota ones but am a little disappointed that the rotors are warped. I am not someone that is heavy on the brakes unless I need to be.

Has anyone used Power Stop brakes like this one ? All ratings seem good.
Amazon.com: Power Stop (K5874-36) Z36 Extreme Severe-Duty Truck & Tow Brake Kit, Front and Rear: Automotive

IMG_8328.JPG

My wife's GX is doing the same thing. Rears are squealing, and the inside rears are the worst. 47k miles. The fronts are around 4-5mm, but I'm going to go ahead and replace them all.

I replaced my brakes on my 2010 about 80,000 miles (lots of highway). I used OEM pads again...I thought how in the hell could you beat that?

Thanks for the input. From what I'm reading it looks like the pins in the caliper need to be greased. I guess otherwise the top and bottom of the pad will not slide evenly, I think that's my problem. I'm going to replace with Toyota rotors and pads. I'll just keep a closer eye on things in the future.

lots of corrosion potential in the snowing / salty north east. i had sticking calipers on my GX before, and caused noticeable uneven wear. good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom