PTO Winch Won't Engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently added to the collection with a 1985 BJ73.
IMG_1950.jpg

When I bought it the PTO winch didn't work, and upon closer inspection I found it was missing the shear pin. However, after fixing that problem I can't get the PTO gearbox to engage. The lever feels like it engages, but nothing happens. I put a pipe wrench on the driveshaft, and when the lever is in the off position it turns freely, but it won't turn when the lever is in the on position. Could it be the linkage for the lever, or is it possible that there is a problem in the gearbox itself?

To confirm:
Engine off.
Disengaged, the PTO driveshaft turns freely.
Engaged, the PTO driveshaft will not turn.

Correct?

OK.

Time to pose a dumb question. The following has to happen to get the shaft to turn: (If you did this please pardon my Captain Obvious question :) )
Transfer case in neutral, Engine running, Transmission shifted into a forwad gear to spool the cable in or reverse to spool it out. You stop and start the shaft by depressing/releasing the clutch pedal.

Did you do this?

Better to just remove the whole assembly and sell it to me =) The advice from cruiserdan is exactly what I was going to ask, you need to control these with the tranny for speed and direction... They are work horses, I personally love a pto winch, under water, full of mud, long repeated pulls, can't beat em..

I shoved a 4mm bolt in mine. I haven't worked too hard since. The yoke was sloppy as well and it would bang the pins up when it flopped. I shimmed it with a piece of aluminum cut from a Coors beer can. Works like a charm.....:grinpimp:

I shoved a 4mm bolt in mine. I haven't worked too hard since. The yoke was sloppy as well and it would bang the pins up when it flopped. I shimmed it with a piece of aluminum cut from a Coors beer can. Works like a charm.....:grinpimp:
That ought to do... I sheared oem in the field and jerry rigged with a tool hardened allen wrench that was handy. It is bulletproof now. You know most parts are available still for these old dogs, I'm sure you know that with your experience...

What has become of our original poster? Inquiring minds want to know if he's in business now.....

Yep, I am! I didn't know exactly how these things work, and the decal on the glove box wasn't much help as I don't know how to read Japanese. :)
I am planning on beefing up the shear pin, too.
Thanks!

Excellent. :)

Two winters ago, right after I acquired my BJ74 with pto, I drove it into a snow bank rather than hit the two kids on horseback who were riding on an icy back road. They left me there and I had to use the winch. Trial and error. Later, I asked a student of mine from japan what the instructions said; he lacked the technical vocabulary and was no help.

OK.

Time to pose a dumb question. The following has to happen to get the shaft to turn: (If you did this please pardon my Captain Obvious question :) )
Transfer case in neutral...

You can use the PTO winch with the transfer case in any gear, but for self recovery it's usually good practice to try with the transfer in neutral using just the winch first, then give it a bit of drive in low range if it feels like it needs it. The wheel speed is faster than the winch line so it takes some finesse to avoid tangles or shock loading the winch.

Cheers
Clint

Last edited:
The OEM PTO winches spool from the TOP, unlike most other winches which should pull from the bottom.

Is this statement correct?!

All the PTO winches in the museum spool on/off the top of the drum. My BJ74 is rigged the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom