Looking for FJ45 Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my situation:

I recently started the process of purchasing a 65 FJ45 SWB project truck that is currently laying in pieces. All the body work has been done and it is straight and in great shape. In theory it should be about 80-85 percent there parts wise. These rigs are hard enough to find, the SWB versions, so I'm happy with the price I got it for. However, it appears the the vin on the frame was removed and replaced with an FJ40 vin that matches the cowl/firewall that the current owner was planning to put on the frame. It comes with the title for that vin. He was originally planning to register it as a 79.

This will, in theory jack up the registration to an FJ40, even though it has an FJ45 frame. Is this going to cause me heart burn in the long run, plus how much of a factor would it affect the overall value of the rig?

I have no intentions of selling it, due to the fact I have always wanted one. I guess its more of the issue of having an FJ45 but not being able to register it as one. At this point I don't think I will be going for the ideal full on year specific restoration, but more of a hybrid of various years, with the intend of keeping it as original looking as possible, with a lift of course...

With the VIN inspections in Colorado (typically performed by a police officeer or licensed VIN inspector) I suspect you would have a very difficult time getting it titled and registered

Yes, it was a package deal. I figured if the frame was a no go, than I would have to hunt for another frame, the body is complete and in great shape. I was hoping that these older vehicles wouldn't be a big issue. Where I live they don't bother checking the frame vin if its an older rig and you have a title in hand. However there is the FJ45 vs FJ40 issue that should raise a red flag. I'll probably stop by the DMV and get some advice from them regarding the frame before I rebuild.

Anyone have any similar experiences with mix matched vins that turned out okay? The cowl/firewall I was looking at putting on it was from my original 67 FJ40. I also have the title for that as well.

Would it be possible to buy an FJ45 SWB vin with title and replace it that way or is that still a no go?

yikes! - for me, messing with removed/"replaced" VIN's is waaaaaay to close to what could/might happen if a truck had been stolen, and I suspect potentially violation of law in and of itself, regardless of intent.

I personally wouldn't want anything to do with that truck...

Am I following along correctly? The guy cut off the right front frame horn and welded on a FJ40 vin section onto the FJ45 frame?

yikes! - for me, messing with removed/"replaced" VIN's is waaaaaay to close to what could/might happen if a truck had been stolen, and I suspect potentially violation of law in and of itself, regardless of intent.

I personally wouldn't want anything to do with that truck...

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'll need to stop by the DMV for advice when I am home next. So I guess my question now might be what a clean and straight body for an FJ45 SWB is worth. I've only had the chance to purchase one a couple of times in my life and didn't want this one to get away, even if I have to buy another frame.

Am I following along correctly? The guy cut off the right front frame horn and welded on a FJ40 vin section onto the FJ45 frame?

Yes, that is correct. It was cut off under the shock mount on the outside and in a different location on the inside so that one would have to look close to realize it. He was planning to rebuild it with the doors and front portion of a 79 FJ40 using its title. He was honest in dealing with me and had no intention of hiding it.

Changing vins on frames is against the law in California and if found out it would be confiscated and cushed along with jail time for the person involved. Be careful what you ask at your DMV it may come back at you. Solution buy a frame to a 45 or other of your liking and then get it registered as a new frame to the body. If that is doable in your state a little more paperwork but legal and it won't come back at you.

So, it sounds like you have fj40 paperwork, an old fj45 frame that is technically now an fj40 and some parts that look like an fj45. I would say that, unless you get some new paperwork somewhere, you have an fj40 that looks like a truck. Since you are never reselling, I would not bring up the frame vin issue and put everything back together and register as a 40. It sounds like the money you have in it is closer to a 40 anyway.

You know there's miles of 45's in Aus that are cactus and could probably do without their right front frame horn.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'll need to stop by the DMV for advice when I am home next. So I guess my question now might be what a clean and straight body for an FJ45 SWB is worth. I've only had the chance to purchase one a couple of times in my life and didn't want this one to get away, even if I have to buy another frame.

You already know the answer. No need to go report yourself to the authorities!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom