Starting local veterans 4wd club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big Ed

SILVER Star
Threads
Site isn't set up yet, but here's the address.

Edit: site changed to Mountain Warriors – Our Heroes' Dreams

I wanted to create a safe place for veterans where we understand eachother. I had leaned towards making it combat veterans only, but caved in to people discouraging me from doing that. If we get this up quickly we have an opportunity to do some volunteer work on a Forest Service trail that badly needs it. If you are interested in joining a club and helping maintain a 4wd trail, or know someone who is, post up.

I have been volunteering directly with the Forest Service OHV crew, and they're very supportive. The OHV Manager has talked to my VA counselor. She said he wasn't doubting anything, he just wanted to know how he could help me. The next guy down the totem pole has a son that did three tours Regular Army Infantry. He loves the idea of a veterans club, and is really encouraging me to get it going. I don't think I could ask for better support, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Please spread the word.

Last edited:
That's cool you should look into partnering with other orgs like Team Rubicon to help get it up and running.

I have a friend with a veterans nonprofit that is helping me, how would Team Rubicon be able to help?

Last edited:
Rough draft for our clubs website main page. What do you think?

Heading
Central Cal Veterans Four Wheel Drive Club
A 4WD club for military veterans

The Central Cal Veterans Four Wheel Drive Club was established in July of 2016 and membership is open to anyone who served in the United States Military. It does not matter what brand of 4wd vehicle you own, or if you own one at all. If you want to help on trails, and get a rig eventually, you are welcome to ride along, as space is available.

Membership is ? (we need to decide on free, or annual dues)

Requirements to Join:

Membership is open to current members of the United States Military, veterans, and non veterans who are strong supporters, upon invite.

The Purpose of Central Cal Veterans Four Wheel Drive Club:

Central Cal Veterans Four Wheel Drive Club intends to provide a Family Friendly 4wd Club specifically for veterans of the United States Military. The intent is to provide a safe place with people that have been there, done that, and understand eachother. Also to support the U.S. Forest Service in maintaining local trails for public use, as we can. Through the use of the forum we are able to provide a support system for veterans. We realize it can be tough out there and want to provide a place with people that get it, even if they're not club members they are welcome to join the conversation.

The part below is intended for my buddy making the site. Read it too, maybe you can give feedback.

This is a very rough draft, had to start somewhere. I will send it to others interested and get feedback. What type of pictures do you suggest? We don't have anything with veteran club members on the trail. Scenery? Pictures from our deployments? I have the Iraq/Afghanistan group Thursday, and can run this by them then. They have been my biggest support. As for the color, start with olive drab and we'll see if we like that.

I have friend with a veterans nonprofit that is helping me, how would Team Rubicon be able to help?

They do alot of work in other areas besides disaster relief I know the local chapter here has helped some nonprofits move offices and things like that. I was referring to the trail clean up efforts with them. They do alot of chainsaw certification training and things like that it would be good excuse to get them involved with trail clean up to freshen up on tool useage and things like that.

If you want to know anything about Team Rubicon just let me know. Been a member for around 6 or 7 years now.

These guys are considering bringing us into their organization, needs to be discussed at their board meeting.
Our Heroes' Dreams

He liked it because it would get veterans off the couch, and that would be their mission. They have no off road connections, they are able to draw donations, veterans who want to volunteer, and supportive non veterans to volunteer as well. In what way do you think Team Rubicon might help?

Preliminary.

I know "it's a Jeep", but that's primarily what's out there. It's what the organization came up with, and are asking for my input.
IMG_0422.PNG

From a wheeler friend without a Jeep. I didn't look at it this way. We won't be Jeep exclusive, maybe the logo does suggest that. I looked at it like there's only room for one, people will get that. The name doesn't include "Jeep".

It looks good, is it a jeep club? Or do they have other less generic vehicles they can use? Like your truck or something different. To me it screams jeeps only.

They've been working on the structure of the new "squad", I got to see the draft.

I really like this part.

(Note: The Mountain Warriors Squad is a Veterans Program created by Veterans for Veterans. Although non-veterans are welcome to participate, it must be with the understanding that Veterans often engage in “dark humor”, often have disabilities that cannot be seen or easily understood, and may act in a manner not considered “normal” by others. Any discrimination in any form based on these traits will not be tolerated.)

Actively recruiting people, have training coming up soon. Please spread the word.

Great idea! I'd join, hopefully I will when I get back this way. Look up Veteran Overland, they may be able to give you help or ideas. good luck!

So you're in North Carolina, but moving to California in the future?

We have an upcoming project to install a bulliten board at the trailhead of one of our adopted trails. We should have Mountain Warriors shirts by then, and get some pictures to share.

Last edited:
Six of us went, all Iraq or Afghanistan veterans. They all thanked me several times for setting it up, loved the trail, and want to do more trips. So we're off to a good start.

IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3630.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3650.JPG

The F.S. wanted it level, we got it pretty close.
IMG_3667.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG
IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

This was sent to the Forest Supervisor from the recreation manager, she's a Marine Corps veteran. The Forest Supervisor is a Navy veteran.

One of our OHV volunteers, Ed _____, has been substantially involved not only with the OHV volunteer community for many years but has recently put a lot of effort towards engaging and recruiting military veterans to be a part of the OHV volunteer community. It has truly been a win-win. The OHV program and Forest obviously benefit from the added community engagement, but I think even more importantly groups like Ed’s Mountain Warriors provide safe and understanding environments for veterans struggling with their transition while providing them an outlet to use their skillsets in a productive fashion. It’s an initiative that is certainly near to my heart, and I know our entire OHV staff truly appreciate Ed’s energy.

I'm forwarding you his email with some photos and a video from a recent volunteer trip to the Hooper Diversion OHV area near Florence Lake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom