Arbor press stand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Built this for a friend of mine that has been a big help to me. His work shop is also shared by two vehicles so space is limited. The press stand needed to have a minimal footprint and be able to roll. The stand was designed with legs that spread out 15º for stability as straight 8" x 18" legs would have made the heavy unit top heavy and unstable resulting in a bad way. I also wanted to keep it light weight but stout/rigid. Another consideration was to use as much remnant material as possible so I came up with this.
IMG_1814.JPG

The base plate is a piece of 1/4" x 8" flat strap the body of the press is 8" so that worked out. The concern was the "flex" in a piece of 1/4" x 8" x 18" and the potential warping from welding legs close to the corners of said base plate. I cut some 3/8" x 1" hot rolled flat bar for stringers or ribs, but as many know HR material edges are not square like cold rolled steel, so I clamped the pieces and "gang milled" one edge using a carbide surface cutter in a single pass at 600RPM. You can see the shiny side of the flat bar in the photo above. This would be welded to the base plate with the milled side down to maintain flatness and rigidity. The castor flange plates where sheared and punched on the iron worker in short order and edges sanded and corners rounded to match the caster plates.
IMG_1812.JPG

Two 1/4" x 1" tabs (drilled/tapped) where used to secure the press body side to side while two long bolts secure the body through the base plate.
IMG_1824.JPG

A shelf was added awards the lower legs and also serve as stiffeners. 1/8" x 1.5 x 1.5 angle was used for this as it provides a nice lip all the way around once a thin sheet is set inside the angle frame. This shelf will serve for storage of different shims and spacers he will likely turn on his lathe as different pressing operations require. The hight of the shelf also allows for sweeping under the unit without drama.
IMG_1825.JPG

The business end of the press base plate was notched "mouse hole" to match the press body for working on longer shafts.
IMG_1823.JPG

Last edited:
The finished stand rolls and maneuvers nicely.
IMG_1820.JPG

This will make for nice broaching and pressing.
I hope this will help someone in need of a similar stand.
It took a full day from design to a rolling stand and after cleaning the shop and readying for a shower the Fed-Ex guy showed up a day early with a much anticipated OEM radiator (thanks to beno). So another three hours spent prepping the 40 for it new radiator install.
IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG

A local Toyota dealership wanted $200 over what I purchased this from Onur (beno) and it came with new petcock and cap.
Don't forget about Onur for OEM replacement parts for your rigs fellas.

Turn and burn!
Paco

Added a handle,shelf and outrigger for greater stability. Although the press stand rolls nicely, I had reservations on its ability to remain stable when pressing to its maximum without tipping over. From the start, one of the features of this stand was to maintain a small footprint when not in use. The out rigger slides into a receiver in front facing down and can be pulled rotated up and stored toward the rear when stored.

The handle is a piece of 5/8" cold rolled 5.75" long with two 2.5" legs.
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG

The bottom of the base plate has two 5/8" nuts welded (capture nuts) allowing assembly with out backer wrench.
IMG_1855.JPG

The receiver also has capture nuts welded while 3/8" round bar welded to the bolt heads for tool free adjustments.
IMG_1856.JPG

The shelf was cut from 16 gauge sheet using a HF electric shear. The $45 tool was purchased for cutting the door openings during the shop build.
The worked great then and I find myself using the often for quick snips of lighter gauge sheets. I will say, they also work well on .120 aluminum.
IMG_1850.JPG

This shows the outrigger in place for maximum stability. The outrigger foot floats 1/8" above the floor allowing the unit to still roll, but still makes contact when pulling on the ratchet lever.
IMG_1860.JPG

This showed the stored position of outrigger.
IMG_1857.JPG

The receiver also serves as a center support for the added shelf.

I'm 100% convinced the unit will not tip when pressing to its maximum with the support leg deployed.
Thanks for viewing.

I was gonna ask what would cause it to tip, but then I remembered this is an arbor press, so the user is pulling down on the handle. Good call on the support leg and awesome craftsman ship as always!

Thank you sir,

Yeah, those ratchet handles are long and give the user some leverage.

Nice! I've got @ the same size press just sitting on my work bench. I need to build your stand. Really like the outrigger.

Thanks, this is why I post up and share.

Thanks beno,
and your parts service is my favorite site as well.

Got the press stand painted as well as the arbor press. The stand is a hammer tone silver and the press body,hand wheel and counter weight is hammer tone copper/brown.
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

I wanted to share the PDF files for the arbor press stand for those interested in building one.

Attachments

• arbor press stand-5-2.PDF
    71.5 KB · Views: 271
  • top plate-2.PDF
    45.5 KB · Views: 193
  • leg.PDF
    44.4 KB · Views: 210
  • outrigger wldmt.PDF
    48 KB · Views: 178
  • handle.PDF
    46.5 KB · Views: 203
continued .....Keep in mind the outrigger length will be determined by the size of castor used. The top plate can be substituted by a thicker plate that would eliminate the stiffeners.

I hope someone can use this information.

Attachments

• shelf support2-4.PDF
    45.6 KB · Views: 184
  • tee handle.PDF
    55.5 KB · Views: 163
  • shelf plate.PDF
    44.6 KB · Views: 139
  • retainer tab.PDF
    45.2 KB · Views: 175
The owner purchased it from Enco on sale with free shipping. I think it cost him under $170 delivered. Enco was bought out by MSC a couple of months ago, so free shipping is gone. I personally don't have an arbor press but know how useful they are.

I like the integration of your press and workbench. Any details?

The owner purchased it from Enco on sale with free shipping. I think it cost him under $170 delivered. Enco was bought out by MSC a couple of months ago, so free shipping is gone. I personally don't have an arbor press but know how useful they are.
What that big massive monster for under $200....???

I want three..

Around here they cost silly money, I pay like $100 after waiting for one for two years..

I like the integration of your press and workbench. Any details?
Mine..??

Is nothing (3/4 plywood on the top, 4x4 hand shaped for the bottom) This way the "Bore" is on cantilever and I have full access to the press and I can used it for motorcycle fork tubes or other long items (even resting on the floor using long drifts or metal rods)

I'm just building my workshop with the idea my girls can use it some day, So i try to avoid any sharp edges and dangers (not like grinders are not dangerous on their own...
IMG_2337-XL.jpg

Acko Bins are the bomb..

Is never finish, but is very useful..
IMG_2493-XL.jpg

Good call on the base profile. I've seen too many presses robbed of full potential as they are simply bolted to a flat surface preventing longer pieces from being pressed. Those bins are useful for organizing parts.

Good call on the base profile. I've seen too many presses robbed of full potential as they are simply bolted to a flat surface preventing longer pieces from being pressed. Those bins are useful for organizing parts.

Actually my "Hope" (plan/goal, etc) was to use the press to drop the beads of my bmw tubeless motorcycle wheels but it proved to weak (just not sufficient leverage, not a matter of "Persuasion bars", I just need about 30% more force) but the tube tires come right off even the big KTM 950's that are really thick for a tubed tire..

Like with vehicles, multitasking is key..

Last edited:
Sucker, you got me looking..

They even offer Prime in some of them, Oh I want a bigger one so bad..

Oh I have a idea for you.

How about having some "Index plates" Bolted to the floor (well epoxi/drill, sunk ten feet deep, whatever it takes) so you lock down the press and exert max power to part that are at floor level (Just because they are to heavy, clumsy or impractical to lift or because they are mounted to a car chassis or something.

Can you say "In situ" Hot riveting..;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom