Looking at a 1986 Porsche 911 Coupe, anyinfo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a 1986 Porsche 911. I've been doing my research, but curious if there is anything I should be aware of? This was a local porsche shop owner's car for the last 8 months and has had a leak down test, upgraded a/c compressor, etc. Seems pretty solid at 148,000 miles. Any info would be great. Also they are asking $22k which I think will come down a little. I know documentation is key on these old cars. Thanks

Buy it (if it has not sold, I see this is an older post), the air cooled 911s are an absolute blast to drive, a pure drivers car. The book "The Used 911 Story" by Peter Zimmerman is a very thorough guide to searching for a used 911. The Pelican Parts or Reenlist forums are full of good information on Porsches as well. The leak down test is well worth it and can tell you quite a bit about the health of the engine. The upgraded AC is a bonus, the 70 to 80's era 911s are somewhat notorious for having crummy AC systems. These engines can go many 100 of thousands of miles when properly cared for, I wouldn't be overly concerned about 148k miles. $22k sound fair for a clean, well cared for 80s 911, knock a few thousand off for a worn interior, dings, dents and scratches, etc.

The only concern i can think of is that the 1986 has a 915 transmission and its good, but the 1987 got the 950 trans and its fantastic. Were i you, i would hold out or plan to update the 915 to a 950. Other than that they are as tough as old boots. Parts are not as cheap as cruiser parts and you get a great core section working on them because they are much lower than any cruiser.

148k is low mileage for a 3.2. The g50 is a better transmission but the price goes up on 87 to 89 g50 cars. The 915 is good as well but known for first and second gear syncro failures( mostly due to people not ingaging first gear all the way. If you get any crunching in first or second gear, it will need syncros. 22k is a good price, is it a coupe? 25 year porsche tech and shop owner if you need any advice!

Haha I just saw this post for the first time since I posted it. I ended up buying a different 1986 911. I'll post up some pics. I got it shortly after I created this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom