Is it possible to convert auto climate control to standard/manual HVAC ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's obvious that a number of us with special edition FC80s and LXs have had problems with our automatic climate controls. They are probably all destined to fail. And, some of the system parts are no longer in production.

Is it possible ...has anybody attempted ...to convert an automatic climate control system to a standard/manual type system ???

Thanks !!!

Yeah ...if the auto climate control is working you can go to manual by pushing the low/med/high buttons. But the connections still go through the auto climate amplifier (some call it the climate control computer) and other automatic system components ...and if one of the automatic system components fail ...no blower, no AC etc.

And, the cost of parts in the automatic system (if available) are very expensive and have limited availability.

My question is can you bypass/eliminate/replace the automatic system components and setup a true manual system ?

Search. There's a switch on the back of the HVAC controls. There's no difference in any of the system other than the box in the center console. The amplifier is the same.

The auto HVAC senses outside air and incab air temps and adjusts the fan and directional vents to make the occupants comfortable, based on the slider setting.

Other than it being a Land Cruiser the auto HVAC is my favorite feature. Working properly it does what I want it to do.

The only thing I feel like it's missing is a sensor so it knows where the Sun is. So it could hear or cool with that information also.

Last edited:
Search. There's a switch on the back of the HVAC controls. There's no difference in any of the system other than the box in the center console. The amplifier is the same.

The auto HVAC senses outside air and incab air temps and adjusts the fan and directional vents to make the occupants comfortable, based on the slider setting.

Other than it being a Land Cruiser the auto HVAC is my favorite feature. Working properly it does what I want it to do.

The only thing I feel like it's missing is a sensor so it knows where the Sun is. So it could hear or cool with that information also.
I have a 1997 LC with automatic climate control. And ...I may have a bad A/C System Amplifier.

mod5csi-

The A/C System Amplifier (88650-60212) located under the dash over the gas pedal area appears to be unique to the LC80 (& LX 450s) that have automatic climate control. Some people call it the "automatic climate control computer." (This may be the box you are referring to in the center console.) It seems to be the biggest source of problems in the auto HVAC systems.

Would switching from automatic to manual mode by using the switch on the back of the control button module bypass/eliminate this amplifier ? (and save me the repair/replacement costs for the amplifier ...or at least buy me some time) Or, is it still a necessary part of the manual system ?

Thanks !

That is my understanding, flip the switch to manual and it works like a manual. Takes the auto AC computer out of the scenario.

In your situation, certainly worth the try.

Kinda funny, I was afraid to use the "auto" feature for the first couple years I owned the vehicle. Until I figured out how it works...

:lol:

:doh:

Interesting - as an FZJ80 with manual climate control owner I've been envious of the Auto system, and even tempted to try to swap into an automatic system. I checked a couple of other threads which led me to believe it's very complex going from manual to auto, and assuming the sensors would not be present.

Is it as easy as swapping in a new head unit and flipping a switch?

Interesting - as an FZJ80 with manual climate control owner I've been envious of the Auto system, and even tempted to try to swap into an automatic system. I checked a couple of other threads which led me to believe it's very complex going from manual to auto, and assuming the sensors would not be present.

I dont think you can go from Manual to Auto without the Auto AC Computer. Theres a couple other things needed for the Auto AC.

Kinda funny, I was afraid to use the "auto" feature for the first couple years I owned the vehicle. Until I figured out how it works...

:lol:

:doh:
Even funnier, I think my A/C System Amplifier (88650-60212) may have just failed today. It's 99* outside.

:crybaby:

I have a 1997 LC with automatic climate control. And ...I may have a bad A/C System Amplifier.

mod5csi-

The A/C System Amplifier (88650-60212) located under the dash over the gas pedal area appears to be unique to the LC80 (& LX 450s) that have automatic climate control. Some people call it the "automatic climate control computer." (This may be the box you are referring to in the center console.) It seems to be the biggest source of problems in the auto HVAC systems.

Would switching from automatic to manual mode by using the switch on the back of the control button module bypass/eliminate this amplifier ? (and save me the repair/replacement costs for the amplifier ...or at least buy me some time) Or, is it still a necessary part of the manual system ?

Thanks !
I just tried this. No, it doesn't work. I also unhooked the auto computer for reference.

Mine just randomly quit today.

Interestingly, in my truck, there are no A/C relays, fuses, etc in the slots of the relay panel under the hood. Could that be a missing link for our auto systems to go to manual?

Anyone know of a thread where someone has successfully converted auto to full manual? I see a few threads talking about it but haven't been able to find any solid info. I have my LX partially pulled apart and the A/M switch on the back isn't doing it. I have a regular parts cruiser here and swapped out the heater control dash box out and it does some funny stuff with the A/C switch. It doesn't let it come on sometimes and if it does come on I can't get it to shut off. Is there an HVAC computer to change out somewhere?

bump.
I purchased manual controls from someone in Australia. The plugs fit but the controls did nothing. I'm not completely convinced they are broken and would love to get them working. If I ever get to it I'll update. And if I'm ever successful the next challenge will be the panel doesn't fit with my dash. I have a 2003 100 series. I have bypassed and installed speakers and an amp along with one of the ebay chinese android screens. But that's another story.

Anyone have any updates here? I'm nearing the end of converting a 92 RHD HDJ81 VX Limited body to LHD, atop a 94 LHD FZJ80. The heating/AC circuit is the last major feat to tackle in order to button everything up. Of course I went through the effort to save/convert the AC lines to retain the Cold/Hot center console, so now I need to figure out the best course of action for the system....... At this point (so far) it seems easiest to convert the system to auto (VX is auto, FZJ is manual), and retain the entire system as if it were the VX. There are a number of differences, some of which could be 92 vs 94, but I will post updates when it's all done. In the AC box itself, the differences include an additional resistor/sensor downwind of the core, as well as two extra relays on top of the box. Pinouts are quite different in the white/yellow 22pin plug on top, with the auto having 3 extra wires. The big black box screwed into the front is completely different as well. For everyone else looking to 'upgrade' to auto, I would imagine you would best be served having a donor vehicle to pick from. Would be challenging otherwise, and invasive no matter what.

Since it will take some time to find (or ship in) an auto amp here in Costa Rica ...I will give it a shot ! I'll report back !
Thanks !
Any update? How did it work?

Is anyone with an auto climate system deconstructed enough to take a picture of the AC core harness? It has two plugs on top that plug into the main dash harness. I'm wrapping up a manual climate to auto swap, but the information will be backwards compatible as well. Actually way easier - as a easter egg for now. However the auto system I'm adapting is a '92 JDM VX Limited so it would be nice to confirm this Sub-harness is the same, as well as a few logic box PN#s... I've been documenting and will post concise instructions soon.

20230113_234911.jpg

It's fairly complex but I will have a writeup soon that simplifies. There's 4-5 sensors + wiring and a few other things that need to be added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom