Overhead Grab Handles: are there threads over the driver's door? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a couple of spare overheard grab handles. I want to install one over the driver's door (similar to passenger side) to deal with the occasional bout of "old man back" to help with entry/exit.

Are there threaded recesses under the headliner over the driver's door for RHD applications or will I have to install rivnuts?

I'd prefer to avoid exploratory surgery or removal of the headliner to find out.

Thanks.

No trim needed. Just pull those plugs with your wife's favorite butter knife. Threaded holes are right there. Same screw for all the over head handles.

I had holes through the headliner with covers that snapped into the threads, guess this is only the case with the hard headliners.

anyone know where we can grab (heh) one of these handles? outside of scrap yard, that is...

The drivers grab handle has proven itself to be very handy ;) However the headache maker, as Joey calls it, can catch you if you get inside a little too vigorously. I almost replaced the handle with a flexible kayak style grab handle but couldn't find one to match my oak interior. Also contemplated learning how to weave a handle from paracord but something more pressing always comes up.

Also contemplated learning how to weave a handle from paracord but something more pressing always comes up.

good idea! i think weaving the paracord would be the easy part, figuring out how to attach it securely would be the hard part...

i guess you could just get a couple eye bolts... although that'd hurt pretty bad knocking your head on one of those... maybe there's something lower profile

I think the mounting bolt with a couple metal washers used to sandwich the paracord loop would be low profile although it wouldn't look great. Maybe you could cut the ends of a donor handle and come up with something similar but more refined looking.

I did not look for any color match. For a handle material, I used tubular 1" webbing. It's commonly sold as anchor material for mountain climbing. Since I removed the rear handles, I had extra mounting bolts from those. If I wanted rounded heads on the mounting screws, I could have bought hardware at Ace.

20150621_174230 (2).jpg

20150621_174246.jpg

anyone know where we can grab (heh) one of these handles? outside of scrap yard, that is...
i've got some i pulled out of the marshmallow when i started parting it.

Last edited:
Lol...

Hmmm, interesting.

So is this the "Secret project of Joey's" that you have been bragging about knowing of for the past few months. ;)

I can neither confirm nor deny... :moon:

Does anyone have a part # for the DS overhead grab handle in oak color? Also, are there separate part #'s for the plugs that fit inside that conceal the screws? I am missing a few.

Does anyone have a part # for the DS overhead grab handle in oak color? Also, are there separate part #'s for the plugs that fit inside that conceal the screws? I am missing a few.

Don't know if they are still available or not. But you could check with @arcteryx aka Jason at Cruiser Yard for a used one.

I'd sell you one of mine but you'll get it quicker from Jason. I threw mine in a box. Somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom