Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds great for someone else, but I'm not looking for work my schedule is full of honey do's:princess:.

I would recommend taking some self storage training courses and get certified. It is a great way to retire. Generally you live rent free and the pay is really good.

It really is a great retirement for those who want/need an income... And you get vacation time!!

daBoise and I went for a 3 mile walk this morning and Gunner asked if we could go get a breakfast burrito. I said, "Sure. But, let's take 44 and pick up the burrito and take a drive, to celebrate the 48th anniversary of my first enlistment into the Air Force... May 29, 1968.... daBoise got excited!!

So, we picked up our huge burrito and headed out to the DNWR. But, rather than turn into it at Corn Creek, we turned west and drove up Lucky Strike Mine Road. We had never driven this road and it would be a very pretty drive, but for the constant line of wooden power poles that obstruct the views.

Anyway, we drove about 10 miles and I was surprised when I had to go into 4LO to get over some steep, rock shelves... didn't seem like I should need 4LO.

Anyway, at about 10 miles, I stopped and backed off the road, to turn around, and 44 died... couldn't get her started again. So, I put daBoise bed under a cedar tree and filled their water bowl and they laid there and watched me the whole time.

I pulled the fuel filters and fund the aux tank filter was a little dirty... so, I replaced it. BUt, I knew it was more than a simple filter, I had been running the aux tank and couldn't get enough fuel, to the carb, from either tank.

So, I tested the fuel pump and found it lacking... I pulled the battery, battery tray, splash shield and fuel pump. Then blew the fuel pump out and blew the line from the fuel pump to the carb out. But, rather than reinstall it, I installed my spare fuel pump and voila!! She started right up.

I put everything back together and we headed home... stopping at the Res (Piute) store, for a cold drink... and we're living happily every after!!

IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2188.JPG

daBoise and I went for a 3 mile walk this morning and Gunner asked if we could go get a breakfast burrito. I said, "Sure. But, let's take 44 and pick up the burrito and take a drive, to celebrate the 48th anniversary of my first enlistment into the Air Force... May 29, 1968.... daBoise got excited!!

So, we picked up our huge burrito and headed out to the DNWR. But, rather than turn into it at Corn Creek, we turned west and drove up Lucky Strike Mine Road. We had never driven this road and it would be a very pretty drive, but for the constant line of wooden power poles that obstruct the views.

Anyway, we drove about 10 miles and I was surprised when I had to go into 4LO to get over some steep, rock shelves... didn't seem like I should need 4LO.

Anyway, at about 10 miles, I stopped and backed off the road, to turn around, and 44 died... couldn't get her started again. So, I put daBoise bed under a cedar tree and filled their water bowl and they laid there and watched me the whole time.

I pulled the fuel filters and fund the aux tank filter was a little dirty... so, I replaced it. BUt, I knew it was more than a simple filter, I had been running the aux tank and couldn't get enough fuel, to the carb, from either tank.

So, I tested the fuel pump and found it lacking... I pulled the battery, battery tray, splash shield and fuel pump. Then blew the fuel pump out and blew the line from the fuel pump to the carb out. But, rather than reinstall it, I installed my spare fuel pump and voila!! She started right up.

I put everything back together and we headed home... stopping at the Res (Piute) store, for a cold drink... and we're living happily every after!!

View attachment 1266172 View attachment 1266173 View attachment 1266174 View attachment 1266175 View attachment 1266176

A sincere thank you for your service to this country. That was some good trouble shooting and even more impressive that you had a spare fuel pump. Is it a electric or manual?

A sincere thank you for your service to this country. That was some good trouble shooting and even more impressive that you had a spare fuel pump. Is it a electric or manual?

Thank you!!

I have two manual oem pumps... I really think the pump is gonna test out fine, now that I've blown it out. I carry a spool of fuel line (in case I ever need to bypass my 6-port Pollak switching valve), so I think I will buy and carry one of these 4-6psi Carter electric pumps... http://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4070-...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

... in the event this recurs... I could have the Carter pre-mounted and pre-wired and even pre-plumbed (with a couple of T's)... then, just flip a switch... $62 for a little peace of mind.

Plus, working under 44 on all those rocks (and the scorpions I had to dodge) is not something I want to do again... and removing and replacing the battery several times is not something I want to have to do on the trail... my back and hips will need to recover before I can return to my Chippendales job at night :rolleyes:

Sounds like 44 was just dealing with delayed sympathy pains for my pickup. My pickup died yesterday, and I ended up having to tow it home yesterday evening (just a couple miles). Fortunately, you had everything you needed with you, which was a very good thing considering where you were at. I didn't, I lost all my gauges, cruise control, brake lights, stock tachometer, Tiny Tach, alternator, etc. due to a dead short. Funny thing is the radio, heater blower motor, interior lights, headlights & taillights, turn signals, and electric windows all still work.

I found the fuse for the gauges blown, so I replaced it, and promptly blew it again as soon as I turned the ignition key. Oh well, I guess when Tuesday gets here I will go to the library in town and get an electrical schematic and start the process of elimination. Anyway you can still drive 44 and just get another spare fuel pump. Actually I'm glad that it was an easy repair for you.

Don

Sounds like 44 was just dealing with delayed sympathy pains for my pickup. My pickup died yesterday, and I ended up having to tow it home yesterday evening (just a couple miles). Fortunately, you had everything you needed with you, which was a very good thing considering where you were at. I didn't, I lost all my gauges, cruise control, brake lights, stock tachometer, Tiny Tach, alternator, etc. due to a dead short. Funny thing is the radio, heater blower motor, interior lights, headlights & taillights, turn signals, and electric windows all still work.

I found the fuse for the gauges blown, so I replaced it, and promptly blew it again as soon as I turned the ignition key. Oh well, I guess when Tuesday gets here I will go to the library in town and get an electrical schematic and start the process of elimination. Anyway you can still drive 44 and just get another spare fuel pump. Actually I'm glad that it was an easy repair for you.

Don

Thanks Don!!

Sorry to hear you have more problems...

Have a great special day Danny.

And keep the pics and stories flowing!

....Anyway, we drove about 10 miles and I was surprised when I had to go into 4LO to get over some steep, rock shelves... didn't seem like I should need 4LO.

I put everything back together and we headed home... ....

I bet having a breakdown in a remote place like that made your ticker beat a little faster Danny...

Great that you managed to fix it and get back out without needing any outside help.. :clap:

The engineering simplicity of the 40-series and my familiarity with my vehicle means I still do solo trips into remote places despite my age continually strengthening its attack on my confidence levels.

Don

Good luck with getting it sorted Don... Nothing like having more work added to one's list of chores.. :)

I've been running one of those Carters for 20 years... Can't go wrong. May need to pick up a spare before going too far off the beaten path.

Have a great day today Danny

Thanks Dave!!

I bet having a breakdown in a remote place like that made your ticker beat a little faster Danny...

Great that you managed to fix it and get back out without needing any outside help.. :clap:

The engineering simplicity of the 40-series and my familiarity with my vehicle means I still do solo trips into remote places despite my age continually strengthening its attack on my confidence levels.

Thanks Tom!!

Actually, I knew it was a fuel delivery issue, from the start (or Not start, in this case :rolleyes:). I also carry a JumpBox, so I didn't have to worry about running the battery down... and, I had our beds in 44 and plenty of food and water, so I figured, "if I can't get it going today, I'll just send a SPOT message that says, "I'm fine. Spending another night"... and finish up in the morning. We were at 6300'+, so it would have been a cool night... and I don't like the idea of sleeping in 44, with the front in the road... but I doubt there's much traffic at night anyway, with those rock shelves.

So, my ticker was ticking fine... it was my back and hip that balked at laying on those rocks... especially after I moved a couple of the larger rocks to find nice big juicy scorpions underneath.

As, I started to say in my original post... "I thought it odd that I had to use 4LO for that one hill, with rock shelves"... I think the fuel delivery was clogged a bit at that point too.

Had it been something else, like a broken axle, I wouldn't have been prepared... I would have had to either remove the winch from the front and mount it on the hitch cradle... on the back and winch 44 out of the road... or, use my Hi-Lift jack to winch it out of the road... then don my backpack, put daBoise boots and Chester's backpack on and head downhill to the highway.

But... once I had her running again and put my headphones on, I went to start my audio book back up and noticed I had good cell phone reception... so, I could have called Dianna and gave her directions and met her a few miles downhill... so, she wouldn't have had to climb over the really rough stuff...

I remember when Riley and Allen (@jetranger and @allan man) were rebuilding 44's knuckles (right after she was delivered: I spent several hours in labor that day :eek:)... I asked, how would you deal with a major breakage... Allan said, "Don't mess with it, just hike to the highway for help". I took that to heart and always have a fully stocked backpack/go bag in 44.

Anyway, it all worked out and I'm paying for it today... with all my back and hip aches and pains... but, tomorrow will be good again..

To quote a very intelligent man, "The engineering simplicity of the 40-series and my familiarity with my vehicle means I still do solo trips into remote places despite my age continually strengthening its attack on my confidence levels."... oh!! that was you!!

Last edited:
I've been running one of those Carters for 20 years... Can't go wrong. May need to pick up a spare before going too far off the beaten path.

I actually bought two when I was installing my aux tank... and a Chevy Big Block block-off plate... then decided to stay with the oem mechanical pump... and returned them to Amazon. Some people run both... which is fine, as long as the mechanical pump doesn't become the blockage (unless the Carter is plumbed around it) or the mechanical pump fails and dumps gas into the crankcase... in which case, I would have been out of luck...

Don

Hope you find and fix your short in 'short' order today, Don!!

It may take me a few days to get to the heart of the problem, I'm not an electrical wizard. I get to a point where headaches and frustration are about to set in, so I walk away for a while. I'm also working on getting rid of weeds (think three acres of trees, flower beds, shrubs, garden), and getting the garden planted. While I'm doing other stuff I tend to mull things over in my mind, which then gives me something else to check.

I've already found that the gauges fuse was blown. I replaced it, turned on the key, and it blew instantly again. I put the battery charger on overnight to bring them back up to where they are supposed to be, so now If I manually work the glow plugs the motor will start.

Today, or tomorrow, I will go into town to the local library and find a wiring schematic to help me trace out what is connected to the gauges fuse.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom