Cracked dashes may potentially be resolved by Toyota (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a feeling it is going to be quite awhile before any of these parts are available. Toyota (and their suppliers) are all under the gun right now with the sheer number of replacement parts they are having to have to make for all of the TSB's/recalls etc. that are coming up almost every day now.

Patience will be key.

Just got my letter two days ago about reimbursement for the people who already had their dashes replaced. Waiting on the second letter to inform us when replacement dashes will be ready at the dealers, they said Spring of this year.

I have a feeling it is going to be quite awhile before any of these parts are available. Toyota (and their suppliers) are all under the gun right now with the sheer number of replacement parts they are having to have to make for all of the TSB's/recalls etc. that are coming up almost every day now.

Patience will be key.

Got my letter today. Now to see how we're going to get it done.

We have another recall going on right now that says "late spring" availability as well. I was told last time by my rep that we were looking at "later this year"... They don't ever give us a solid date. The best method is to just exercise patience and when the remedy is ready you'll receive a letter informing you that it's available.

I got my letter about 6-8 months ago and went by the dealership to see what's up. They didn't have any dashes in stock and would notify me when my color came in.

I haven't heard back, but haven't called them either, and I am wondering if anyone has gotten a dash replaced yet?

I had mine inspected back in October. Just got 2 calls last week about it. One stating my part was in, then immediately a second stating that it was the "Wrong part number". And, the waiting continues.

I still have to actually get the time to have them take the truck to the back and have it assessed for replacement at Lexus. Toyota was unwilling to do it on the GX.

The dash in my 03 isn't cracked, but it gets this weird film that seeps out of it over time, which turns it cloudy looking. It wipes right off though, so I'm wondering if I can get a new one.

If it is in the VIN database it gets replaced...regardless of current look/feel

I just bought a 2005 GX470, immaculate interior except for the cracked and sticky dash. Contacted Lexus in Portland last week, and was told to either bring it in or I could take 2 close-up pictures and 2 zoomed out pictures and email to the dealership. I would then be put on the waiting list. I think I will go in and do face to face, so I can plead my case. If it takes a year I am prepared to wait, better than dropping $$$.

I contacted Lexus directly and was told I have until May 2017 to file a claim. Was also told that regardless of vin or location that they will cover it. She also said to get it done whether it's cracking now or not because it could happen later.

Called Lexus in Eugene Oregon and talked to a service writer who was aware of it and said to bring it in when I can

Last summer (2015), my local toyota dealership confirmed my vehicle's eligibility for the dash repl. I recently changed my phone # and thought to call the dealership today to update my account info. After 15 mins or so ono the phone with parts depth, they informed me that a "bunch" of those dash orders had somehow been deleted and that they would need to place a new order for my dash. He then said that quite a few dashboards had been received over the past two weeks and that mine will probably be delivered next week. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen, however, I do find it somewhat suspicious that after waiting for my dashboard for almost a year, my order was deleted, I was never informed (they also had my email), yet they were willing to order another one for me over the phone without being able to verify my original order or my eligibility for the recall.

Playing the waiting game as well. At first, dealer (Lexus of Bellevue) stated about 9 weeks to get replacement dash in, now hearing it will be another 6-7 months..... :rolleyes:

I am the second owner, but my dash appears to be fine right now. It sits in a garage 80% of the time. I just checked my VIN on the website and didn't see anything. Is this something I should be looking into at the dealership anyway for if/when it happens?

Take it in and make sure. You just have to be put on the list or verify if it was already replaced. Just that simple. Takes 15 min at the dealer.

Forgot to update: Took mine in in November to get put on the list. New dash was installed in late April (Herrin-Gear Lexus, Jackson, MS). The service writer said availability, at this point, "looked to be tied to the color of the dash." She said the vast majority of the dashes they had received were black (like mine and a friend of mine, who also received his.)

On a related note, I was really concerned about the possible after-effects of having the whole dash replaced (squeaks, rattles, getting the interior dirty, etc.) However, I was pleasantly surprised that it was done perfectly and nothing rattled or squeaked on a recent 1,000 mile largely-offroad trip! The SR said they had already done over 100, so I'm glad I wasn't part of the first few having it done.......

6-8 months or more on dashes right now. FYI. Affecting all models.

We have Camry's that were inspected in October that still haven't arrived.

They slow rolled the remedy to try to build up stock but that was depleted rapidly. And of course it takes time to produce them.

@DanKunz just to clarify a Toyota dealer cannot file a warranty claim on a Lexus and vice versa. It's not that they are unwilling, it is just not possible.

I didnt say Toyota. I said dealer. I called Toyota to see if I could and they referred me to Lexus, which is fine since Nalley are right down the street from one another :)

I found this on a different Toyota forum after reading complaint after complaint online of 4runner's and GX's dashes spiderwebbing with cracks. My wife's GX, which I'm working on a way to commandeer into a mild crawler, has a dash that looks ready to start having pieces fall off of it. So, while searching a way to replace it or decently cover it for the cheap (saw a vinyl wrap that was good) I happened across a thread that got updated a few days ago. Anyway, long story short: has anyone recieved one of these letters or is it bogus as I can't get the PDF letter to open on my work computer?

Toyota Dash Problem Melting Cracking Warranty Extension LSC ZE6
I had mine replaced a few years back and was advised by a service member from the dealership to contact Lexus directly and he even made a call to their local Lexus rep. Lexus paid the majority of the cost and I had to pay $500. I believe the total cost was around $1,500. Since, I've received a notice in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom