I put some new Tires on the 200! (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always thought the stock sized 285 tires would look better if they were sitting just a smidge further out. Maybe an inch. With 275's I'd imagine even more.

Anyone use spacers to accomplish this? If so, tell me about it. Any drawback to having spacers? Pics would be useful if you've done this.

Preesh - The Dukmon

I've always thought the stock sized 285 tires would look better if they were sitting just a smidge further out. Maybe an inch. With 275's I'd imagine even more.

Anyone use spacers to accomplish this? If so, tell me about it. Any drawback to having spacers? Pics would be useful if you've done this.

Preesh - The Dukmon

Yes. Here ya go...
I added Spiertrax 1.25" spacers and it looks way better. A little concerned about extra stress...but the wider stance definitely gives a more balanced look. I've heard from many people running spacers without issue, though I'm pretty sure it is harder on bearings...

I'm running 285/70/17's on Rock Warrior wheels, which are 50mm offset (10mm wider than stock wheels which are 60mm).

Here are photos...
Pre-spacers:
Spider4.jpg

Post Spacers:

Spider3.jpg

I needed to remove front mud-flaps (behind front tires) and the funky little flaps in front of them:

Spider5.jpg

Tire treads stay nicely within wheel wells (so no worry about throwing rocks at people)...but the look is WAY better:
Spider7.jpg

Markuson

Last edited:
Looks great! Anyone else have comments concerning spacers?

I'll plan on sticking with my stock wheels.

Looks great! Anyone else have comments concerning spacers?

I'll plan on sticking with my stock wheels.

With stock wheels, you'll be 10mm in from mine...but that will only help you avoid rubbing.

If you want more commentary on spacers, just do a search with that word in the 200 section. You'll get a ton of hits from past discussions.

The main concerns are already known:

-Possibly shorten the re-pack cycle of bearings.
-Possible rubbing
-Some tire shops will refuse to rotate/balance/re-mount your tires because they are afraid of liability issues with spacers.
-Obviously it changes the geometry somewhat, so it can have other subtle effects.

There are plenty of guys who have used them for years without issues.

Here's a helpful thread in the 100 series forum, including helpful info that Discount tire are "fine with bolt-on spacers...just not the slip-on type," which is great to know, since my tire maint. is done at Discount Tire.

Here:
To spacer or not to spacer

Last edited:
I sure hope these things are as quiet as the reviews mention. The Tire Rack reviews give them an 8.7 out of 10 for noise (superior.) I have to admit, they're seemingly quiet on my FJ60, but then again, the FJ60 wasn't quiet to begin with.

I've put my Koolaid glasses on and am about to jump into the pool.

I blame jdlc1406 and Markuson if this becomes a fail.

I sure hope these things are as quiet as the reviews mention. The Tire Rack reviews give them an 8.7 out of 10 for noise (superior.) I have to admit, they're seemingly quiet on my FJ60, but then again, the FJ60 wasn't quiet to begin with.

I've put my Koolaid glasses on and am about to jump into the pool.

I blame jdlc1406 and Markuson if this becomes a fail.

So you are talking about the tires that came with the truck? Or BFG KO2's? You said stock... Do you mean the stock size...but KO2's? If so, they are very quiet. Really not an issue at all.

I currently have Michelin 285/60/18 Latitude Tour HP's. I am about to switch to BGF KO2's in the 275/70/18 variety with spacers.

I currently have Michelin 285/60/18 Latitude Tour HP's. I am about to switch to BGF KO2's in the 275/70/18 variety with spacers.

Ah. Just keep in mind that your setup is not identical to mine. Close, but but not identical.

I love the look of kreiten's 285/70R18's mounted on 18x9 Fuel Anza's with 20mm offset (no spacers). He has a lift on his truck though (build there here).

I think the common thread is that 275/70R18 will barely fit, possibly with some slight rubbing depending on the tire manufacturer, but anything larger requires various modifications. If you stay with 18" wheels I will be curious to see how large a tire you can manage with spacers without a lift.

I love the look of kreiten's 285/70R18's mounted on 18x9 Fuel Anza's with 20mm offset (no spacers). He has a lift on his truck though (build there here).

I think the common thread is that 275/70R18 will barely fit, possibly with some slight rubbing depending on the tire manufacturer, but anything larger requires various modifications. If you stay with 18" wheels I will be curious to see how large a tire you can manage with spacers without a lift.

Worst case scenario... Remove the spacers. It's a relatively inexpensive mod.

So.........

If I run spacers, the chances of rubbing increases? I believe it's already established that BFG KO2's of the 275/70/18 variety do not rub.

So.........

If I run spacers, the chances of rubbing increases? I believe it's already established that BFG KO2's of the 275/70/18 variety do not rub.

My wheels/tires didn't rub until I added the spacers. But then it was just a matter of yanking the mud-flaps.

With your stock wheels being 10mm farther in, that may help...but then your tire size won't be identical to mine either.

If I were you, the tires are a no-brainer, and the spacers are a try-and-see.

I agree concerning kreiten's truck; super nice. I've toyed with going forward with a lift on my 200 but have decided I'll probably upgrade to a 2014 or so in another year. My current truck is an 09' with about 125k on it. By this time next year it will have another 30k on it, so I'm putting a lift install off at this time, waiting until the next 200.

I pretty much copied kreitens lift. I have the ironman cell foam pro lift and love it. I'm running stock wheels and 275 bfgs. To get a better stance, I added the spidertrax spacers and so far so good. I can see getting wheels with 20mm offset and some matching tires some point sooner than later.

Same here, I've got the KO2, 275's with stock wheels and 1.25" Spidertrax with no problems at all. I ran the same Spidertrax on my old 4Runner for 7 years with not one issue, so I would have no hesitation here. I will say that without a lift, the 275 will probably rub the inner liner just a tad with the Spidertrax, but nothing a little trimming can't fix. I just really really really with that BFG would make the KO2 in a 285/70/18. I keep thinking if I put it out there enough, it might happen. ;)

Same here, I've got the KO2, 275's with stock wheels and 1.25" Spidertrax with no problems at all. I ran the same Spidertrax on my old 4Runner for 7 years with not one issue, so I would have no hesitation here. I will say that without a lift, the 275 will probably rub the inner liner just a tad with the Spidertrax, but nothing a little trimming can't fix. I just really really really with that BFG would make the KO2 in a 285/70/18. I keep thinking if I put it out there enough, it might happen. ;)

I ordered the Spidertrax yesterday, the KO2's this morning. I should have everything installed no later than this time next week.

I agree concerning kreiten's truck; super nice. I've toyed with going forward with a lift on my 200 but have decided I'll probably upgrade to a 2014 or so in another year. My current truck is an 09' with about 125k on it. By this time next year it will have another 30k on it, so I'm putting a lift install off at this time, waiting until the next 200.

I'd consider 1" coil spring spacers up front myself after I do the helper air bag install in the rear (Which I've heard will add about an inch in the rear, though we'll see for certain soon). Since I tow a 24' travel trailer regularly I'm hesitant to add much lift since they often seem to compromise handling.

275/70R18 KOs are probably in my future since I'm told they fit with very minimal or no rubbing (though I likely won't swap them until my current city tires wear down since I'm unlikely to go too far offroad for a couple years), so I'm definitely interested in how spacers or wider rims work out for you.

Again whatever you do I'll be curious to see how it turns out and how you get it all to fit.

Regarding 1.25" Spacers. Is there ANYTHING needed to be done other than just bolt and go? Will the vehicle need an alignment or re-balance? With 275/70-18's and no lift, I suppose I may have to remove the front mud flap?

Am I really risking anything with them other than just the nicer look? :)

Regarding 1.25" Spacers. Is there ANYTHING needed to be done other than just bolt and go? Will the vehicle need an alignment or re-balance? With 275/70-18's and no lift, I suppose I may have to remove the front mud flap?

Am I really risking anything with them other than just the nicer look? :)

Have a look at the rest of this thread and you'll see issues mentioned. You may need to remove flaps, but wait and see. Zapping front mud flaps is no biggie.

Have a look at the rest of this thread and you'll see issues mentioned. You may need to remove flaps, but wait and see. Zapping front mud flaps is no biggie.
I got it. I just didn't see any mention of required re-balance or alignments. I think I am going to do the spacers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom