Solo expedition AHC build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This might create a little consternation, but I'm trying to find a way to continue to use AHC while also having a vehicle that can handle "mild" overland expeditions with the family as a solo vehicle. If I wait until I find other people with comparable vehicles and trip goals, I might go on one trip a year (at best), and I wouldn't be the only voice in choosing the location. On the other hand, I don't need this vehicle for anything else (other than moving large #'s of mountain bikes up mountains). Its a 4th car.

Obviously it's a risk analysis and management exercise, but I need some wisdom from those of you who have done a bit of expeditioning in 100-series to chime in and help me understand whats necessary and what's nice to have.

1. Are winches necessary, or can one operate on multiple power-pullers and other hand-driven tools (plus a decent chainsaw)?

2. Are dual batteries necessary if you arent running a bunch of offline accessories and you have a couple massive (20aH) 12v Li-Ion jump batteries?

3. Presumably a decent compressor and a new full size spare (plus the hi-lift jack and stuff) are helpful.

4. Metal-tech sliders are the only "armor" I have at the moment. 34" (275/70/r18 KO2s and an AHC that reads very healthy on Techstream) should get me through just about everything except crawling and snow.

Can it possibly be that with an LX470 you HAVE to have a winch, then front bumper, then heavy-duty suspension and no AHC, before you can get off road reliably by yourself?

Thanks in advance...

You don't have to have a winch. It just depends on how tough of terrain you expect.You have to know your limits. A winch is never a bad idea, but its also not a foolproof plan B.

With that said, I have a winch, ARB bumper, and a healthy AHC system. I plan on maintaining the AHC system as long as possible.

A compressor is a good idea for when you need to air up after airing down. Again, it depends on how tough the terrain you anticipate is. I (out of laziness) usually only air down if I know im getting into some nasty stuff thats going to push my vehicles limits.

Dual batteries are not a necessity. If you're only charging your phone, you would be fine with a single battery. Its never a bad idea to have a back up though.

It would really depend on what you are trying to do with the vehicle. Having a locker or two, good tires, and knowing your own limits as well as the vehicles will take you a long way in my opinion. I think the AHC is great for mild over landing and has proven to be a pretty reliable system when maintained (despite some of the nonsense on here).

A winch is nice, but the only time I've seen them used is when someone decides to tackle something in excess of the vehicle or their driving ability. I'd buy a locker before a winch and bumper.

Dual batteries are awesome, but if you install a group 31 AGM or something upgraded, should be plenty. And nothing stopping you from carrying an extra battery or power pack just in case.

If you only need air for tires, I'd invest in a quality portable compressor that hooks directly to battery. And carry a tire repair / plug kit just in case you damage two tires. It saved me one time far from home.

Horses for courses, I originally had AHC in mine, but had this removed as it proved to be unreliable when the vehicle was loaded up and off road - it would on occasions go from High setting to normal or even low on tracks that required high ground clearance, as a result I had this removed and replaced it with Bilstein shock and heavy duty springs/ torsion bars with a 2" lift.

If you are serious about travelling to remote areas, I believe a winch is great insurance, along with air compressor, shovel, chainsaw and recovery tracks (I use Maxtrax). With this equipment you can pretty much get yourself out of any situation. If you just have only lockers, you'll probably get yourself into a stickier situation.

A steel bar gives you options to mount lights, UHF aerial, flags etc.

I am increasingly aiming for less is more with my builds (not very successfully so far!) it is easy to get carried away and over build.

The amount of weight you will carry, including luggage / people not just bolted on stuff, is key to how the AHC will cope. My last 100 had all the bolt on bits and uprated springs for the AHC and seemed ok but I removed the AHC to improve reliability and then realised the AHC damping was not really that great with all the extra weight compared to the performance of an after market damper (Bilstein not big $ units). I think AHC is ok for a lightly loaded truck but for a built truck might as well be replaced because even if it keeps working it is compromised.

A hand winch is a good alternative to a bumper mounted winch if you don't expect to use it but want a back up plan. They are still heavy and need a bit of thought for storage but don't require a steel bumper. I have used my hand winch more times than the several powered bumper mount winches I've owned just because of its flexibility to pull in any direction.

The main reason for an extra battery would be to run a fridge I think. In my current 100 the fridge is rarely fitted so the extra battery to run it goes in the rear with the fridge and only when the fridge is fitted.

Horses for courses, I originally had AHC in mine, but had this removed as it proved to be unreliable when the vehicle was loaded up and off road - it would on occasions go from High setting to normal or even low on tracks that required high ground clearance, as a result I had this removed and replaced it with Bilstein shock and heavy duty springs/ torsion bars with a 2" lift.

If you are serious about travelling to remote areas, I believe a winch is great insurance, along with air compressor, shovel, chainsaw and recovery tracks (I use Maxtrax). With this equipment you can pretty much get yourself out of any situation. If you just have only lockers, you'll probably get yourself into a stickier situation.

A steel bar gives you options to mount lights, UHF aerial, flags etc.

Did you adjust the torsion bars and add spacers in the back to try and counteract the weight with added spring? I realize this would leave the truck underdamped, but we also have that "sport.....comfort" dial that I keep all the way on comfort and could dial up to sport if necessary to increase shock damping (though I'm sure its not ideal).

I am increasingly aiming for less is more with my builds (not very successfully so far!) it is easy to get carried away and over build.

The main reason for an extra battery would be to run a fridge I think. In my current 100 the fridge is rarely fitted so the extra battery to run it goes in the rear with the fridge and only when the fridge is fitted.

I'm **trying** the less-is-more theory too, but wow... what a tough road. And to hear you are doing a fridge too. I live near a few Land Rover guys and they don't have big bumpers of winches, but they swear that a good fridge is WAY more important than much else :) Might just be thats a Land Rover thing :) I do have to admit, these fridges are *expensive*.

Why do you think an aftermarket bumper and winch wont work with AHC? Bolt it all on and then check your techstream front pressurs. Adjust your TB's until your pressures are restored to stock. Probably 2-3 turns to account for the weight of a winch and bumper. Super easy.

Don't forget that King Springs make a set specifically for the LX and LC with AHC for added weight capacity while maintaining functionality of the system.

Some members with constant added weight and sensor lift use 80 series rear springs. The 80 series are still way too stiff with 3" of sensor lift and no appreciable added weight.

Once the AHC is completely removed, you loose the ability to adjust ride height, comfort etc, so those functions/ controls are obsolete. All the oem springs, shocks and torsion bars were replaced with after market ones, along with a diff drop kit and some additional strengthening.

The ride is much better, a good suspension set up will be comfortable on road, and have the ability to tackle tough terrain without a problem, it does cost some coin though, well worth it for my use.

As many of you predicted, the AHC is struggling with the weight. With the full rear drawers, fridge, rack, stuff, kids, RTT... the 30mm spacers didnt do it and I'm moving to the King 79 in the back. (possibly with a 30mm spacer too). I haven't checked out how dialed the front TBs are, but I wouldnt be surprised if they are close to the limit.

I've been using the AHC to add and remove the RTT quite a bit. At some point here I have to give up and the LX will have to stay out of the garage. (It doesnt fit with the RTT, and it only fits without the RTT in N or L. If I do a sensor lift (and 35s) with the King Springs and re-keyed TBs, it wont fit in the garage ever again).

Ah, the compromises...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom