Using/burning a lot of oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know they do but how much oil is usually used between changes....I've probably had to add like 3 quarts in 3,000 miles since last change.

It's a 95 with 198k on it, runs absolutely perfect, no big oil leaks that I can see but there is oil around the rear main/upper oil pan gasket area. Not enough to drop on the driveway though

Should I worry or just drive and keep adding

I believe a quart every 1k miles is still within spec, search a bit here and you will find it or perhaps someone else can chime in. I finally rebuilt mine when it hit a quart every 750 miles.

What brand of oil? How many miles for an oil change. Have you check or replaced PCV valve? Normal driving or hard driving with lots of high rpms, mountain, flat land, city, hwy?

Whats your gas mileage?
When last tuneup?
Any oil on valve cover?
After an oil change, is it 1000 mi then you add a qt or is it an average 1 qt per 1000 mi? My 80 burn lots oil and average 1000 mi per qt but after an oil change it takes 1800 mi before I add a qt, then it drops to 1200 mi for next qt then 900 and so on. I think my oil is getting degraded from blowby. I use synthetic oil with a 9000 mi oil change interval but will be going to a dino oil with a shorter oil change interval.
I just wonder if you oil is degrading or it just used oil at a constant rate?

This was after the first oil change i've done since I've bought it...put in chevron 5-30 that the previous owner was using. New pcv valve, front main and oil pump cover seal
Regular driving, mix of city/hwy

Gas mileage around 13 with 33's and 2.5" lift....not accounting for increased tire size
Haven't done a full tune up so far
Barely any on the valve cover, not enough to even want to change it

And on last part haven't calculated that thorough..like I said have only done one change so far. As much as I drive it will probably only need one change a year at 5k

My 96 burns about a qt per 1000m. Wondered if this was a problem. My truck exhaust also smells rich. Any relationship?

5/30 is a little on the thin side for an ageing motor. At the next scheduled oil and filter change try a decent quality 10/40. Unless you have visible smoke when running down the highway I doubt you have too much of a problem ATM.

regards

Dave

Fix every leak and drip and see if it is still doing it. I bet it is. Then check compression. I bet it will be fine.

If all that is good it is probably worn valve stem seals. Mine got to where it was burning a quart every 750 or so. I did a head rebuild about 5000 miles ago and I have not added a drop in that milage.

I guess I could have replaced the valve stem seals with the head in the truck but with the reputation they have for HG I wanted to do the HG as well.

I fixed all my leaks 20k ago. On my most recent little overland outing I was referred to as the "smoker"....I am burning about the same as you and would concur to just drive it until the cows come home. Whatever that means to you.....:steer:

Driving is OK as long as you keep it full of oil. Not really that hard.

Even doing the work my self my HG was not cheap. But I did all OEM with lots of extras. I am glad I did it. But I know it is not for everyone.

I had 3 reasons, all were kind of weak reasons.
1. Burning oil
2. HG as PM
3. Cracked EGR tube near cylinder 6 phh area

Oil is cheap. I have a rear main leak - Class 2 leak if you know DoD jargon. I add about 3 qts in between changes. When the light comes on - add a quart. Seems to work. No weird exhaust. OG HG and seals. 1997 - 172k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom