what would you replace your TLC with ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
colorado front range north Lat: 40:23:57N (40.399
Website
www.rm-mi.net
Here is the brief. 9 years ago I paid $6000 for a 94 TLC locked 80. Have had that beast in some MOAB light and some awesome Colorado trails. Almost rolled it once, went up (and back down) a stream, crawled into some amazing places to camp an pulled a rescue trailer to go get motorcycles when they break or what have you.

The dilemma is ... at this point I need to repaint rebuild refit everything really. at 240k miles the motor wont last too much longer, needs suspension, needs bumpers, needs seats, needs about 10-20k of work if I am paying someone do do a lot of it (i have less time these days) .. so do I just sell this rig and buy a built expedition rig at 15k or so or do I find an almost new 4runner TRD PRO locked and lifted enough to handle streams and Heart Attack Hill, MOAB and random road trips.

I am really torn as to what to do.

G-Wagen would be my personal choice, ideally a stripped down diesel variant from somewhere outside of North America.

G- wagon would be great, but the $$£€¥is pretty high. Putting an ls3 and auto into a fj60 or fj80 is around 25kor less. I'd probably get a 60 or a better 80 and do an engine swap. You'd still be way less than a 50k plus g-wagon. 4Runner trw pro was pretty well panned by the off road mags unless you're into high speed desert stuff.

Unimog

#1 choice = Nissan Patrol Y61, then a Y60.

G-wagens are cool but radius arm front and rear and don't flex at all unless you take the sway bars out and then it is still only like 8" of travel.

Put a v8 in your 80. Do a GM 6L with the 4L80e trans and keep the stock t-case. It will become the best truck you have ever owned.

Cheers

Yeah what do you need to change and why? It may need some work yes, but if it got you everywhere?

A G-wagon is nice, but then an old one, not a new one. Too complicated.
And I'm not sure if they are worth the high price, even here in Europe. But they are good though.
However, I don't think they will get much further then a (modified?) TLC.

Please keep in mind that this really is a truck, not a road car. It's not built for the highway.

80 series, factory turbodiesel, locked. HDJ80.

There is nothing better availible.

Get it now, it will never be cheaper.

Refresh what you have and have come to trust - it is usually better than someone else's junk. If that motor isn't broke yet, then don't fix/swap it !

Is it just time for something new? How much do you really like this TLC, is it one vehicle you will look back and say, I should of kept it?

A restore can be expensive if you have to pay others to do the work and then should something happen, it likely you will never get the money back out of it. But the joy of driving a well build TLC or any other vehicle is something special and something you will enjoy for years.

Also could you find a expedition vehicle for $15k and what is that new 4Runner going to cost?

If it where me, I would ............., but your not me, so I leave it at that.

GX470 would fit the bill and I guarantee you will enjoy driving in rockies better than the 80. V8 power

I was hoping to hit heart attack hill with my GX470 this summer. My old 80 ate it up, even on the far right line which was pretty sketchy. I miss the 80 a lot but for daily driving the GX is like an offroad capable sports car. Check out the 120 series section here for some ideas.

Keep driving your 80 until you can afford a 100 with an A750F and relatively low mileage. Drive that for 10 years and then swap out to a 200.

I originally built our 80 as an expo rig, and used it as such for many years. However after completing our 100/LX expo build and taking it on a long trip (9 days, 1500 miles) it was really evident how much more comfortable the 100 is. Stable on the highway, lots of power, better MPG.

I love our 80, and plan to keep it forever, but it is now dedicated to tighter trails and no longer the camping/expo rig.

DSC_0054.JPG

Last edited:
having a rusty and beat on 60 series with a 13bt diesel engine and 5 speed tranny. if i rolled or it rusted away then i would be putting that running gear in a classic range rover vogue. leather seats, coil springs, classic looks and none of the shonky British v8 and auto.

No matter what your other considerations, it must make you smile when you drive it.

If you want to be stylish - get a Land Rover or a G-Wagen

If you want to be practical - get a Subaru or a Crown Vic.

If you want to be cool - get a Willys pickup or a Ural with a sidecar

If you want to be the perfect combination of all of the above - stick with the LC.

The Hundy is a beast, and its hard to argue with. If I could get one with a 5-speed, I might have gone that route. As is, my 62 with an H55 makes me smile every time I drive it.

Disclaimer: I am not the authority on all things Landcruiser nor do I masquerade as the authority.

I have owned several vehicles in my time, many because my economical situation strictly limited my choices to used vehicles. I do know a few things about used vehicles. Unless you purchased a vehicle new from the dealership and drove away with the comfort and challenges of a manufacturers warranty all vehicles are used. Myself, I would rather own my problems than the problems of anyone else. Your vehicle is in a wonderful place in that you have maintained it for what I assume to be several of the glorious 240K miles. Cosmetics are always nice and improve general moral while vacationing or exploring. There are some variables that need to be disclosed, 1) paying cash or financing? 2) Partners desire? 3) Primary or secondary vehicle? $ Affection for current vehicle?. Personally, I drove a $48,000 Toyota 4Runner prior to purchasing an 80, saved a bundle (initially) and have genuinely enjoyed the intimacy of going through so many things on the 80. I don't mind having to turn wrenches every now and again and have met some great people as I went through the process of solving some issues with the 80. Every time I improve something it is nice to know that there is a good chance I won't have an issue with that particular item for many miles to come. I should mention that I purchased an 80 that had already undergone a heart and transmission transplant from a reputable institution and I was able to verify through manufacturer documentation the "new" status of the engine, transmission, etc. and mileage on these items. Having spent quite a bit of time improving and correcting things I now have a much higher confidence level in this vehicle. The 80 now has 40K since the complete rebuild and I choose it over the air conditioned seats in the new King Ranch F350 every day of the week and twice on sundays.

It's not me, however, if it was, I would initiate a rehab of the vehicle you already own knowing that upon completion you will be confident in the components used and celebrate the second life you gave this iconic piece of machinery. Best of luck, we all know you will make the right choice. (wink)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom