What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1263134
Behind th LC is Promintory Point, a protruding piece of the Mogollon Rim, AZ. The other side of the rim about 60 miles is where the Overland Expo was held--great to see the rigs and incredibly nice people there.
View attachment 1263129 The scale of the Mogollon Rim behind us is why AZ has the largest Ponderosa Pine forest in the world. There are areas to cliff camp or just camp in the rim that allow you to see at least 150 miles. Many claim to have seen Mt. Lemon by Tucson! There are areas under the rim that I believe are actual rain forest, the areas are so small (as rain forest goes) I consider their ecosystem to be different. If you look hard enough you can see my Wits' End sticker on the shell (Nlxtscy).

View attachment 1263137
Lastly, I bought a Canyon Cooler and wanted to plug them because they're a Startup out of Flagstaff. Great people and they make a cooler better than most. I've had it for a few months now and can attest to the durability and ability to keep ice in solid form. There's not a lot of bling but it does the job it was made for. I have no stake or interest, just love US entrepreneurship.

Zona
Love the Rim! Thats why AZ wheelin is so great! one minute your crawling in the desert and next in the tall ponderosa pines! Great trout fishing at Christopher Creek there as well!

Love the Rim! Thats why AZ wheelin is so great! one minute your crawling in the desert and next in the tall ponderosa pines! Great trout fishing at Christopher Creek there as well!

You know your geography well--you hit my location on the money! Haaha.

Zona

The head gasket rebuild took some time, I had a local mechanic over to the garage a few times and together we worked through it. The hardest part was remembering where everything went, and how. I wrote notes and am glad I did. I put on the sliders, they're nice. Otherwise I've done hoses, starter, alternator, water pump, PHH, radiator, dual battery, and a stereo. My pictures don't compare to Aloha Jen, so, just sayin.

I wouldn't sell yourself short.

What @TexasJack said...

Picked up two new Interstate batteries today for my dual battery setup. I originally was going to get two AGM batteries from a customer of mine but he flaked out. Told me he would get them for me for free but COST ended up being close to $600. I went with two Group 27; one MegaTron Plus for starting and general use, one Marine for the house battery. I pulled the Group 24 walmart battery out that the PO had put in. It was 3 months old. Good riddance. While I like the idea of AGM I couldn't justify the extra cost and like the idea of having two batteries since I will have my fridge/freezer running a lot of the time. Two days of having the fridge/freezer and can't believe I went this long without one.

Need to figure out how fancy or simple I'm going to do my dual battery setup. I keep going back and forth. I think I'm leaning towards simple.

Solar panel to controller to marine battery to cranking battery. Marine battery and cranking battery both charging off alternator. Fridge, inverter and accessory lights running off marine battery. Simple. Inexpensive. Utilitarian.

I added a second lead-acid solely for supporting the winch I installed. Did too much reading about how an expensive upgraded alternator still won't end up charging the batteries significantly faster, as the batteries limit the charge capacity more than the alt.. at least when you don't have a thousand electric gizmos running. Not to mention the fact that no reasonable alternator will actually support the current draw of a winch by itself. With two batteries and no plans for a fridge or extended deep-cycle use I figure dual starting batteries should work great.

Either way.. super simple. Basically just added 2awg wires from pos-pos and neg-neg, and moved the winch leads over to the secondary battery to clean up the DS terminals. Whenever I get around to adding accessory lights/inverters/time machines I'll up the sophistication of the AUX battery. But for now.. it's working just fine.

I so would put this on my FZJ80.... Of course it would have to be much cleaner looking :)

Lord Commander2.jpg

I need to do this. Been putting it off for far too long. BTW, what which do you have there? Looks like my COMEUP 9.5rs, just no badges.

Yup, same winch. In fact, your build was how I discovered the ComeUp winches. I just removed the badge from the solenoid box, the other badge is still on, but not visible due to the angle of the shot.

You know what's nice? Having a fridge/freezer in my 80. Driving around with a case of ice cold water sure is handy.

Now I just need an onboard urinal...

Yup, same winch. In fact, your build was how I discovered the ComeUp winches. I just removed the badge from the solenoid box, the other badge is still on, but not visible due to the angle of the shot.
Cool. I've only needed to use mine a few times but I have been very happy with it.

LS1FJ40, you could drill a 1/2" hole through the floor pan and run a hose through it with a funnel on the other end. Pee on the fly!

Connect a hose to one of these bad boys, route the hose through the drain plug in the floorboard. BAM. On-board urinal

Go-Go-Girls-Woman-Elegance-PIEZ-Travel-Female-Urinal-Any-Time-ToiletCan-Wee-Urinal-Urine-Director.jpg_640x640.jpg

You know what's nice? Having a fridge/freezer in my 80. Driving around with a case of ice cold water sure is handy.

My life has just changed as well after recently adding a fridge to my Cruiser. I can't believe I had put it off for so long. Dealing with ice, melted ice, luke warm beverages and food, etc for so many years.... I had no idea what I was missing. Just a quick trip to the desert a few weeks ago and having ice ice cold beers in 90F heat 5 days in was awesome!

My life has just changed as well after recently adding a fridge to my Cruiser. I can't believe I had put it off for so long. Dealing with ice, melted ice, luke warm beverages and food, etc for so many years.... I had no idea what I was missing. Just a quick trip to the desert a few weeks ago and having ice ice cold beers in 90F heat 5 days in was awesome!

My son plays baseball pretty much 7 days a week. Weekdays for his high school team, weekends for a travel team. I had quit bothering with a cooler and we would always eat out, buy Gatorade and waters from the concession stand. A weekend could easily add up to $100-150 in food/drinks. It was ridiculous.

The fridge is a game changer. The Anderson plug wiring kit from Wits' End aka @NLXTACY made it an even easier and cleaner setup.

I picked up two new batteries for my dual battery setup and already have the solar panel and controller. I will have virtually endless power on the trail, when camping, or just at the baseball field. So, for me, it's the ideal setup.

And I love not having to always have wet bottles of water/soda/Gatorade. Dripping everywhere. It has always annoyed me.

Hopefully I have time to setup my dual battery system and solar this weekend. The powder coater called and my rack and sliders are ready. SAWEET!!

LS1FJ40, you could drill a 1/2" hole through the floor pan and run a hose through it with a funnel on the other end. Pee on the fly!

Connect a hose to one of these bad boys, route the hose through the drain plug in the floorboard. BAM. On-board urinal

Go-Go-Girls-Woman-Elegance-PIEZ-Travel-Female-Urinal-Any-Time-ToiletCan-Wee-Urinal-Urine-Director.jpg_640x640.jpg

A buddy had a rusted out Chevy pickup when we were in high school. Used to spit tobacco juice through the rusted holes in the floor.

It sucked in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom