Entering the world of the PTO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My guess is that a good number of castings are broken by accidentally engaging the winch while the hook is tied off to the truck. ThSts what happened to mine and I've heard that it's not uncommon. A buddy nudged the shifter into gear and drove off without a clue.

I no longer leave the dog engaged which makes having a better brake that much more important. That brake really is too weak even to pull the line out as it always allows the cable to loosen and move around on the winch while hooking up the cable.

Pete

Is this from the bottom of the ocean? :))))

shelfboy1, I have read a few post where the shear pin is the main topic and understand the importance. My PTO when I bought it has only two problems one major and one minor and a few little things. One of the little things was when I was inspecting the worm gear shaft end on tear down I noticed someone did a re-dill on the shaft and I am still not sure what was left in the hole, drill bit end or old shear pin. Not sure what was going on with that. I do have a PTO manual so I am good.
View attachment 1071974

I have found a few split G/B in the last few weeks. I don't think that they are that hard to find its just the conditions of the G/B. Out of four so far three were trashed (gears, case, bushing) and on was way over priced.
Since I have torn down the PTO winch I have been more focused on that more than the G/B but your information is worth gold. I will settle for a decent G/B with hopefully the shifter linkage included. That would be a big help as I don't have a lot of time right now to engineer parts do to work/family time.
As mentioned above the winch has a few problems but the major one was one of the foot mount bolt hole ears were broken off and the case being cast iron makes it a bit of a challenge to repair. Being as small repair in size a 1/8 99ni or 55ni electrode may be too much for it, so I am in search locally of a welder with 99in wire feed. Not impossible to fix just tricky.
The other minor is the fairlead rollers, they were a poor design but functional if maintained correctly, well the PO of this PTO winch let it set in the elements with dirt in the rollers to where they rusted so bad that heat and a press is no good. So I am now construction a new roller set with brass spacers instead of steel on steel. If I can find the bolts as the stock ones are history I can machine the spacers and maybe still use the stock roller still If I hone out the ends for the spacers as the inside of the shafts are pitted.
I have all the seals for reassembly as they are still available from Timken or CR. The wire rope is like new and is the original with the factory grease still on the last 75 feet of the drum.
I am still going to be looking for a G/B and if you guys come across any I am all ears.

Thanks much

View attachment 1071993

View attachment 1071994

View attachment 1071995

View attachment 1071996

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom