Kings or Icon coilovers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HOLY CRAP! I just Googled it. WTF! Ok well I'm sure this thread will get killed in 3...2...

I think this should be a Q&A with the manufacture and with people who can give some insight.

Insight into what?

There is nothing new under the sun....

There's little left to be developed within the confines of the 80 platform, that doesn't require, pretty much, cutting everything off.

If you want a Q&A with a vendor, start a thread in the vendor's forum, NOT 80 chat.....about coil overs on an 80.

To ask questions about their product and find out if its right for your Setup/Rig.

Talk about the quickest way to defray interest in production for this platform.

I
Why do these thread's always end up being a bashing by people being arrogant and anal.

Who's bashing?

Because I said they arms were bling?

It's a well known attribute in the later model crowds that they're bling and THAT'S WHY THEY SHELL OUT MORE MONEY THAN MOST FOR THEIR 80 ON THEM.

As to anal.....I'm still waiting on Joey to post which OME's he has.

I
If you dont like the product then dont worry about it and move on to something else.

Right.

Now, where's that cup holder thread..... :flipoff2:

what's the advantage of coil Overs?

Chicks dig 'em

kd8k9UA.jpg

On the more tech note what's the advantage of coil Overs?

None or nominal, at best, on an already coil sprung platform, since usually addresses real estate concerns, i.e., IFS vehicles.

Does afford a degree of tune-ability, smaller packaging for linked suspensions, and coils will remain when extended, but none of which benefits the typical 80, and not certain there's coil options for 2.5s that'd suspend her fat ass, within the 0-3" lifted chassis, without major surgery.

Insight into what?

There is nothing new under the sun....

There's little left to be developed within the confines of the 80 platform, that doesn't require, pretty much, cutting everything off.

If you want a Q&A with a vendor, start a thread in the vendor's forum, NOT 80 chat.....about coil overs on an 80.

Talk about the quickest way to defray interest in production for this platform.

Who's bashing?

Because I said they arms were bling?

It's a well known attribute in the later model crowds that they're bling and THAT'S WHY THEY SHELL OUT MORE MONEY THAN MOST FOR THEIR 80 ON THEM.

As to anal.....I'm still waiting on Joey to post which OME's he has.

Right.

Now, where's that cup holder thread..... :flipoff2:

Like i said..

Last edited:
I did the measurements on a 3.0 body coilover but seems there has to be some fabbing to get them to fit.

I did the measurements on a 3.0 body coilover but seems there has to be some fabbing to get them to fit.

There's many companies that produce coil over conversion kits (think King and Icon both do) for 3/4-1 ton Ford trucks, so it may be a matter of adapting mounts to the 80 bucket.

Question is, what do you gain?

Now price out the springs for a 3.0 coil over
springs for 2.0" and 2.5" coil overs are cheep in comparison

But
for this vehicle no they don't make sense.
there are a couple advantages for race cars and VERY custom vehicles. Being able to change ride ht and the availability of different rate springs off the shelf when tuning are the main advantages but to go through all the trouble ( and compromises) to adapt it to an 80 is not worth it. they do have a packaging advantage when building a race car from scratch but a packaging disadvantage in many other cases.

IFS is the exception. The way the OE builds the vehicle lends itself very well to coilovers. The IFS that are Torsion bar or conventional coil from OE...not so much. The 100 series is T-bar and a coil over conversion would be a PITA.

we make both standard in the bucket kit and coil over conversion kits for the Jeep JK. I prefer our standard coil kits but some people "Gotta Have coilovers"

Dylan or any other esteemed vendor of merit,

I'll ship you my stock 80 and $10k to start, not to exceed $15k to set up the ultimate 80 suspension, and I'm talking Stage 11, with no more than these prerequisites:

3-4" lift
37s (express permission to cut anything that gets in the way)

*Must retain OE caster
(No corrective bushings. Do it right by C&T)

*Must retain AWD

*No driveline vibrations
(double cardan OK. Hell, double, double cardan OK, and I'll provide from inventory)

*Must retain OE drag link and panhard angles (no drops. High steer knuckles OK, and I'll provide from inventory.)

*Must retain OE rear link and panhard angles without drops

*Front and rear sways arms parallel to chassis rails (torsion style, 'cause OEs won't work)

*Must cycle front from full bump to front radius arm bind.

*Must cycle rear from bump to links bind on housing.

*Wheels must remain in OE location in relation to fender well.

*Must be ALL INCLUSIVE. Every aspect, single sourced and 'engineered' in a one stop operation.

*Must be capable of daily driving, at highway speeds, by your grandmother, and tested accordingly.

*You must put your company name on it, tastefully.

There's nothing above that shouldn't be expected a holistic suspension, engineered to perform.

Call or text acceptance of this super sweet and, I'm certain, extremely lucrative deal, but PM if no other connection is known.

Like i said..

There you are and I'm serious and ready to honor the deal.

:flipoff2:

You can continue pretending this the Land of Sunshine and Unicorns, but it's not the first time I've done this, and fully aware what is and is not possible of the platform or products that bolt on to it.

I'll make a concession, though.....

Somehow, someway, you can select to ignore a user. I suggest you opt that of my content and continue existing blind to the hard facts.

Haha, I was totally kidding, I don't need a 3.0 stabilizer, but let me know what you end up with. My custom King's should be here shortly.

3.0 is a little extreme don't you think?

DSC01049.jpg

also, something like this as well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom