4l60 no go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Driving 60 with 5.3 and just completely rebuilt 4l60 about a mile from my house and the tranny feels like the tranny or the transfer case jumped out of gear. No connection between engine and drive shaft, just a ticking sound like two gears trying to engage. Pulled over, shifted the transfer case, shift into 4 wheel, restarted the car - nothing. Just the ticks - like some catastrophic failure. Interesting thing is that the putting the transmission in park still hold the car.

Theories? Speculation? Wild ass guesses?

Peter

That wasn't it. Have the trans out and looking.

Peter

It really could be everything and anything. From The torque converter failing internally to the sun gear exploding. Your going to have to tear it down. The good news is if park still works there is a good chance its hydraulic and not mechanical.

Park is a function of a mechanical pawl as well as the valve body. I had mine apart before. I don't know if that alone would indicate possible internal issues.

When I was installing a shift kit in mine I didn't seat a snap ring all the way. That particular valve popped out and I was unable to drive. There was no fluid pressure. Simple fix. Something very tiny and easy to solve can be the root cause. Especially if it was just rebuilt. My guess is something in the valve body.

It really could be everything and anything. From The torque converter failing internally to the sun gear exploding. Your going to have to tear it down. The good news is if park still works there is a good chance its hydraulic and not mechanical.

My point was actually, it will will need to be opened up to determine what is going on. Dropping the pan is always the first step and the valve body is right there.

All 4L60 are E models, they were the 700R4 or something before that.

No codes thrown, but doesn't necessarily mean anything. They are suspecting catastrophic hydraulic failure, so they didn't check line pressure.

Most of the early mods were related to converter lock up. Speed sensors and electrical shift solenoids came later.

But I'm curious if the way the engine was installed, the TCM is reporting codes - is that possible? the transmission has now puked three times - not one time has it thrown a code.

So the hydraulic pump died and took the torque converter out with it. No explanation as to why.

If this is the third time I would be looking at what is common between each of the trannies. If your converter is locked up when it should not be it will cause all kinds of problems. Mostly showing themselves when your stopped and in gear. If you had the same converter each build it may have been the problem all along?

My thinking exactly, only the transmission leaves little evidence of how it was destroyed. The converter was destroyed each time so we had a new one from a different manufacture. But they kept using the same pump - which could have been the problem all along.

I sure hope you will get a new trans or some money back. It is obviously a shop at fault unless you asked they use the same pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom