Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

not much to show, wired the motor and hooked everything up... no noise yet, but I'm very close.
one of the things I did was drill a bleeder hole in the thermostat - for no other reason but to make filling it easier

and wired.... a couple minor things to do - hook up throttle cable, put in a couple bolts in the bellhousing, and tighten up the exhaust pipes.... oh and rotate the distributor 180.... dagnabit.

I went to drill my last thermostat and it already had a weep hole from the factory. I don't know why they aren't all made that way.

What's the purpose of the weep hole?? Maybe I've never paid attention but I don't think I've ever seen that (and definitely haven't done it myself)

prevent air from locking up the cooling system. It's possible that if you have enough air under the thermostat that the thermostat won't open or opens too late. By drilling a small hole, that creates a bypass. It also makes filling the system a lot easier because air cannot get trapped below the thermostat .

Interesting...I've never seen that done!

maybe people have fewer problems with 4x4s and air locking it?.... squeeze a v8 in a Sunbeam or an MG and this is pretty much mandatory.

on with making it go, again

oh what a pain - I was right, I was about 45 degrees off on the timing...

look at that, oil pressure

which makes me a bit irritated at the dakota digital gauges, they didn't work, I checked the wiring and have tested everything and it should have worked. The only thing that might be wrong is the connection is fault... but even then....

and back to wiring

so basically I'm back to where I was a couple weeks ago. I'm leaving the front off while I finish the wiring....

I bought AutoMeter gauges for mine. The Oil gauge was electric. I was never able to get it to read properly, even after replacing the sender twice and gauge once. I ended up installing a cheap mechanical gauge that works perfectly. Funny how the high end stuff doesn't always work well.

When Summit was selling those gauges for $3.00 ($5.00 for tachs), I bought several.... of course, I spent a couple hours trying to find them; but find them I did and I rest much easier. I don't know what was wrong with that other bottom end (the white-smoke issue), but it doesn't exist with this one. It runs very well.... now to finish everything else...

are you coming to the Overland Rally this year?

That actually would be fun. I have tried to get my family out camping before. No dice. I have a nice tent we used one time plus other associated stuff. That was 10+ years ago. My wife and I have camped twice in our 28.5 years of marriage.

This year, though, I am working 6 days a week plus a lot of Sunday's too. September is my next chance for time off. Except for the July 4th weekend as we are going to TN for a wedding.

Overlanding is simply a fancier way of saying "wheeling with some camping thrown in"
About the Northwest Overland Rally

I have a blast: wheeling, swimming, food, people.. done it now for a couple years.

Yep, our wives are too intelligent for that. What does that say about us?

the Rally is fun, it's a lot of people chilling - and terribly ironic since overlanding is, fundamentally, about getting away from people as you camp with a couple thousand of your closest friends in a big, open field at the Rally.... there are a lot of people like us, whose wives do not go camp there....

So after a whole bunch of testing I've found the sender is bad.... would have been nice to have a sender when it dropped oil pressure.... ah well, at least the sender is covered by the manufacturer warranty (it's like 90 bucks)

onto more

underhood lighting

and the dash lights up.... even turns on a few lights

getting there... I should have it back on the road and wired Sunday.

true, but I'd bet there's at least another hundred hours in loose ends to do.... biggest job of that is I'm going to rotate the batteries back up so I need to lower the bottom of that tray.

I'm trying to figure out what forward lighting is going to look like. I like my light bar on my H3, but it's noisy and I think that style would look funny on the '40. I also want something that works with the roof on or off. I'm going to have some kind of fog light down low, but I want something up high for distance illumination..... of course, not too high so that branches take them off while snow wheeling....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom