Headlight covers - made in Australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Part model is Toyota Genuine Part Number: PZQ1460090

headlight covers.JPG

I have a set of these plastic covers for my 4Runner and they have been fantastic. It appears they won't work for 2013s + with HIDS, but those with older 200s and this style light may like these.

SUITS 200 SERIES LANDCRUISER ALL VERSIONS
GX GXL VX SAHARA ALTITUDE 60TH ANNIV
BETWEEN SEPT 07 - JAN 12

Over the last 15 years, these covers have taken a few rock hits on my 4Runner and have not cracked or discolored. The ones I have even say Made in Australia.

I'm searching for some for the 13+ but I'm having no luck. If anyone knows where they can be found let me know.

Has anyone found a less expensive way to replace the entire headlight unit on 2008-9? Mine are getting pretty bad on the reflectors and clear portions. Toyota replacements are crazy expensive (to me, anyway).

Anyone find a cheaper alternative?

Has anyone found a less expensive way to replace the entire headlight unit on 2008-9? Mine are getting pretty bad on the reflectors and clear portions.

Cracked? or just foggy?

Cracked? or just foggy?

Foggy...
**But it also has a thousand small cracks on the upper/inside. And...the reflector is starting to "peel" a bit. So fog treatment would only partially help.

I have clear bra which as well was installed on headlights. Works perfectly and you can easily remove if needed.

I have clear bra which as well was installed on headlights. Works perfectly and you can easily remove if needed.

Had this done as well on mine, but I still wonder if the UV rays would penetrate the tops of the headlights that face the sky. I almost think adding a very discreet piece of vinyl (3M dinoc or similar type automotive wrap vinyl) in say a silver color would help prevent the tops from being so exposed.

Had this done as well on mine, but I still wonder if the UV rays would penetrate the tops of the headlights that face the sky. I almost think adding a very discreet piece of vinyl (3M dinoc or similar type automotive wrap vinyl) in say a silver color would help prevent the tops from being so exposed.

My headlights are fully covered. The installer did cuts in film to accommodate curves.

My headlights are fully covered. The installer did cuts in film to accommodate curves.

Right, as are mine. But because the film is "clear", the tops are still exposed to the sun (through the film).

Right, as are mine. But because the film is "clear", the tops are still exposed to the sun (through the film).

Ya, the tops of mine are where the internal cracking is worst...
IMG_7613.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

Is anyone using these headlight covers alluded to in the first post? Would they make a difference regarding the yellowing that transpires over time? Are they for ding protection only? How do they install/adhere?

Yep, using them on a 2010 wagon here and have only got a small amount of yellowing on the top of the indicator section, which isn't under the cover anyway. I've recently lost one due to a stone strike that broke the part where the screw attached it to the top of the headlight and it fell off. My 2007 has them as well, and the lights still look new. We have only just recently purchased a house where the '07 fits in the garage under cover - prior to this it was almost always outside in the weather. I reckon I'll pick up another set shortly for the '10 to stop them yellowing. Every 70 Series ute/wagon I see here recently that doesn't have covers has extremely foggy or yellowed headlights - buggers me how they even see at all....

WeatherTech LampGuard custom fit headlamp protection might be a good option

Does anyone have a solution for hiding / preventing further degradation of headlights that have a trillion cracks / yellowing on the top/interior?

so opti lens should be used as a main't item, prior to the yellowing etc?

Yessir. They recommend a 1 year (if memory serves me) reapplication for DIY and 5 year (again this is from memory) if installed by one of their trained pros. I had it on my 2009 CTS-V lights and didn't see any discoloration of the lens or the chrome inside while I owned it. A few friends have it on their C6? Corvettes, and reapply ever 6-8 months with no fading/yellowing/hazing.

Once they have the micro cracks there's no way to repair them.

This stuff works great for preventing the yellowing and micro cracks that come from UV exposure: Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants

There may be a cheaper place to purchase it, I haven't shopped for any in a few years.

So it looks like it's on Amazon as well... Amazon, at times, has questionable stuff / knock off stuff for sale, purported as the real thing (not sure why this works) What are the thoughts on this? For peace of mind, should we just stick with autogeek etc, as it's not like one would know if it's bogus, till you know (fogs) Even if this stuff is total snake oil, I'm in for under 100.00.

Amazon.com: Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating: Automotive

There are a few things to consider. According to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety specifications 108 (lighting), ANY lens coverings are a violation, so any obvious coverings may garner a ticket or an inspection failure. Headlights have UV protection built-in.

That said, the headlight degradation is caused by environmental factors that allow the UV to attack the lenses. Accordingly, a Lamin-X or other clear bra material will prevent the environmental damage that leads to the protection degradation. A good installer can cover the entire headlighting unit.

I use a clear bra on the flat portions of the lens and cover any otherwise exposed areas with Opti-Coat. I use the clearbra to protect against rock chips instead of just coating the entire lens with OptiCoat

i guess since i have a bunch of amazon cred, i'll order from there, hopefully it's not fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom