Fzj80 Advance the Timing Defenition / Explanation / Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Land Between the Lakes, Beautiful Western Kentucky
OK so I have a timing question for all you gurus out there. When you turn the distributor counter-clockwise slightly are you advancing the timing or retarding the timing (assuming that your timing was correct to begin with)? That's my first important question.

My second important question:
What does it accomplish to advance the timing, what is it accomplishing when you have advanced timing, in other words what is the definition of advancing the timing?

My third important question:
Why would you retard the timing, what benefit would there be to doing this and having this configuration?

Several posts I have read have suggested advancing the timing but I don't know which way to turn the distributor to accomplish this and I don't understand why this would be helpful. I appreciate any light you could shine on this subject and demystify the terminology for me.

Thank you for your help. I think this could be beneficial to other readers as well.

OK so I have a timing question for all you gurus out there. When you turn the distributor counter-clockwise slightly are you advancing the timing or retarding the timing (assuming that your timing was correct to begin with)? That's my first important question.

My second important question:
What does it accomplish to advance the timing, what is it accomplishing when you have advanced timing, in other words what is the definition of advancing the timing?

My third important question:
Why would you retard the timing, what benefit would there be to doing this and having this configuration?

Several posts I have read have suggested advancing the timing but I don't know which way to turn the distributor to accomplish this and I don't understand why this would be helpful. I appreciate any light you could shine on this subject and demystify the terminology for me.

Thank you for your help. I think this could be beneficial to other readers as well.
Anybody brave enough to tackle this qusetion?

Quickest answer is that when you advance the timing you are allowing the spark to fire sooner and you will have more complete combustion in the cylinder/combustion chamber. The issue is if you advance the timing too much, you have combustion while the piston is still on the way up, this is called knock/detonation, you are basically trying to force the rod and piston down on it's upstroke it is one of the surest ways to ruin an engine. You can get a little more hp/torque from advancing the timing, with a little less margin of safety. There are few reasons to retard timing from the stock setting, only thing I could think of is if you had some really really terrible gas.

To adjust the timing you need to just follow the FSM it is laid out quite well.

Thank you for your response. That is clear and I can now equate the term advancing the timing with having the detonation occur a little sooner. This is helpful. Also if its occurring too late you would have less power and less complete combustion. Also helpful and clear.

Now.... Anyone know which direction to turn the distributer to advance the spark? Is it counter clockwise? Thanks for the help.

do you have a timing light? i wouldnt even think about messing with it without one. also a good time to replace the o ring on the dizzy while you are messing with things.

do you have a timing light? i wouldnt even think about messing with it without one. also a good time to replace the o ring on the dizzy while you are messing with things.
+1 on that advice. And following the FSM so the ECU isn't advancing and you're adjusting the base timing.
But to find the advance direction, pull off the cap and have someone crank it while you watch. Advance is the opposite direction that the rotor is turning.

+1 on that advice. And following the FSM so the ECU isn't advancing and you're adjusting the base timing.

forgot that part.
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 4.26.25 PM.png

On more thing. If you advance the timing more than a very few degrees (2-4), the ECU will very likely retard the timing more than you actually advanced it to keep the knock sensor happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom