Couple questions about A/C compressor and line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Wondering what compressor I have.
I'm assuming it is the OEM but not sure.
It has a large "17" and a "34-1" marking on the US PS side but I'm not seeing anything else at first glance.
Does that mean that it is a 10PA17C Denso which is what I see hinted at by Rock Auto for my '97?

Also, does somebody know if the suction line (the one going from the firewall to the compressor with the plastic insulation where it parallels the exhaust manifold - geez could they not have found a cooler spot?) is fully rigid the whole way or is there some flex hose under the insulation? (cuz am wondering if I can remove the comp from the engine with the refrigerant lines still attached)

(FWIW, if it's a 10PA I believe there are a couple of good Youtube videos showing disassembly and reseal for those.)

TIA

It is a 10PA17C. There is a section of rubber hose underneath that heat shielding. I built a new suction hose for a customer routing it under the air cleaner housing to move it away from the exhaust.

ah, thanks. Was there any indication that the A/C worked better with the rerouted line?

eh, while I have your attention, I see what looks to be a third port on the metal line going from the compressor to the condenser, about an inch from the compressor, pointing downward. Is that another usable High side access port with a quick disconnect in addition to the one on the top of the compressor? If so, are they interchangeable?

There's enough flex in the lines at the compressor to bring it up to the hood level. There's a guy that replaced the bearings here on MUD he has pictures. Not sure if that is what you are looking to do.

Here's a link. A/C Clutch Bearing Replacemet (Cheap)

Just a comment on the suction line placement. It's going to get stupid hot in the compressor anyway. Might as well keep the line short and direct.

thanks for the link. Excellent, I was hoping there would be enough slack to lift it up for inspection.

As to heating, any additional heat gained by the refrigerant will have to be dumped out by the condenser so it makes a bigger condenser necessary, all other things equal, I would think. May or may not be a significant difference if the condenser is big enough already, I don't know but I'm guessing it may be. Must be getting quite hot there so close to the exhaust.

eh, while I have your attention, I see what looks to be a third port on the metal line going from the compressor to the condenser, about an inch from the compressor, pointing downward. Is that another usable High side access port with a quick disconnect in addition to the one on the top of the compressor? If so, are they interchangeable?

Yes that is an extra high-side port, I don't know why Toyota saw fit to give us an extra. No discernable temp difference in re-routing the hose.

doubtful they'd use a connector like that for a permanent connection, I think.
Plus it's before the condenser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom