The Ongoing CO emissions saga. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I heated up the solution then put it in a 5 gal bucket and wrapped a sleeping bag around the bucket and over the top to keep it warm. I didn't have a pump to circulate the solution so I agitated the solution every so often. Did it on the basement but did open the window. A respirator would be a good idea but I just held my breath and only breathed in a little and it didn't have any affect on me o_O

Cat Cleaning Citric & Oxalic Acid. CO Emissions

Here is my results. Unfortunately there were some other variables that could affect the test but with 417,000 mi on original cats I was surprised that I could get my emissions down.

4th test
HC 0.5986 Pass
CO 9.9442 Pass
CO2 555.035
Nox 2.8966 Pass

from
1st test
HC 1.8827 Limit 2.0 Passed
CO 17.4154 Limit 20.0 Passed
CO2 720.5633
NOx 6.8742 Limit 4.0 FAIL

2nd test
HC 1.1103 Passed
CO 11.5356 Passed
CO2 731.1560
NOx 7.3277 Failed

3rd test
HC 0.9648 Passed
CO 18.6311 Passed
CO2 723.6856
NOx 4.1444 Fail

Last edited:
I'm failing on my carbon monoxide readings. I've replaced my filter, O2 sensors, plugs, wires, and rotor. I'm hoping the next test on Monday will pass. If not then I'm doing the acid bath.

Last edited:
I passed! After all that plus a dizzy cap, my HC went from 1.1 to 0.5 (limit is 1.2) and my CO went from 31 to 6 (limit is 15)

I passed! After all that plus a dizzy cap, my HC went from 1.1 to 0.5 (limit is 1.2) and my CO went from 31 to 6 (limit is 15)
Congrats on the pass!

I failed again today.

Move out of Denver. That'll solve your problems.

I will add that doing a Emissions test in Colorado with Seafoam in your tank will cause you to fail spectacularly on CO. Think I should make a seperate thread warning people of this?

Before the Seafoam my CO was 12.1
While the Seafoam was in my tank my CO was 44!
After it had burned out my CO was 3.9

I'm not sure if the seafaom alone lowered my CO by that much, I did some other things at the same time.

I am still failing on Nox however, nothing I have done has made an impact other than using HEET. I think I am going to replace o2 sensors next.

I had no seafoam at all. Just had high CO emissions and my HC levels were close to failing. The O2 sensors I pulled out looked pretty old, the cap and rotor were corroded (must have gotten water in there at some point) So with the new parts plus advancing the timing to 7 degrees BTDC instead of 3, it passed. Nox levels were 2.64 on the passing test, limit is 3 so it's getting close.

I had no seafoam at all. Just had high CO emissions and my HC levels were close to failing. The O2 sensors I pulled out looked pretty old, the cap and rotor were corroded (must have gotten water in there at some point) So with the new parts plus advancing the timing to 7 degrees BTDC instead of 3, it passed. Nox levels were 2.64 on the passing test, limit is 3 so it's getting close.

I wasn't implying that you had used seafoam, just sharing my experience.

Your timing results are interesting, I have been reading that retarding the timing will lower emissions, but you got through after advancing it.

Soooo I'm going to have mine tested tomorrow in Fort Collins. How do they know how many cat's my car is suppose to have, is there a check sum or image they pull up?

Soooo I'm going to have mine tested tomorrow in Fort Collins. How do they know how many cat's my car is suppose to have, is there a check sum or image they pull up?
Comes up on their computer when they pull your VIN I assume. # of cats, and approx location. Then a kid with a bomb inspection mirror walks around looking under the truck. Usually after the rolling road inspection.

A buddy of mine just had emissions done on his 07 Tacoma, completely stock motor, but they didn't know that. He came down here to Parker last Friday. Said they didn't even check him or the 3 cars around him. He said they just drove from the front to the back, called the owner up, took their money and gave them a Cert.

Probably they were cold and rainy and just wanted to go home. But these kids here in Parker seem pretty lackadaisical for the last 15 years I've been here.

Take that for what you will, they've always tested my 80 and even failed me a couple years ago. For high NOx.

new cats solved all issues for me at 300k

BTW after visual inspection they didn't hesitate to put mine on the dyno, where it promptly failed with almost 4 times the allowable NOx. So for everyones information one cat made it through at the loveland emissions place.

BTW after visual inspection they didn't hesitate to put mine on the dyno, where it promptly failed with almost 4 times the allowable NOx. So for everyones information one cat made it through at the loveland emissions place.
But only one cat didn't make it thru. Visually sure, but seems like you need more than one cat to get your NOx down.

true but 4 times the allowable limit leads me to believe my 02 sensors are crap (PO welded them in). With a brand new cat that I got hot hot before the rolling road I expected it to be close.

I wonder how much emissions changes when the ECT button is pushed in?

My gas mileage is 14 15 mpg lately, usually its 13 14 mpg. I have the rear driveshaft off but noticed that the ECT button got bumped out when I tore the dash apart. I can only assume that better mpg would = lower emissions???

Could be better mpg due to its two wheel driver so who knows???

Maybe you could remove a driveshaft, turn the ECT off and test, might get lower emissions.

Mitchell Guides also has all the emissions equipment for every vehicle back to the 60's. I believe at the actual testing stations all they do is make sure the motor is stock, no codes are being thrown and they look to make sure the correct number of cats are in place. I'm doubtful they are trained to identify every piece of emissions equipment.

It will be interesting to see if 1 cat makes it through. As someone said, they usually check gas cap, dyno then they pop the hood. Interesting you skipped on $100 not to get a second cat. Maybe you get through this year, but 2018 you might not be so lucky. Good luck.

I dont think they test above 55 mph. Either way, leave the overdrive on. ECT off.

ECT only changes the trans shift patterns. ECT holds each gear longer on acceleration and deceleration, and is more eager to downshift with accelerator pedal. ECT does not affect the SFI directly.

Has the truck ever passed emissions in it's current state? It sounds like you recently purchased this truck. If the car was previously registered or sold in CO the PO should have provided an emissions certificate or coupon with a guarantee that the car will pass emissions.

Reference this PDF. https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/revhitec.pdf
Ask them to open the hood for the test, page 13 of the PDF.
Page 16 references the speeds.

Make sure you are documenting the cost of any repairs, if you have a shop doing the work (I think they have a DIYer cost also, provide receipts). You may be able to get a waiver. But the "expense" waiver only applies after the car is in its stock 2 cat configuration, and all the other original emissions equipment is in place. Meaning the wont count the expense of adding a second cat, or reinstalling the EGR for example. But they would count replacing both cats, both O2, and the EGR valve (for example). Air Care Colorado :: Cost Limit & Waivers and Air Care Colorado :: Change of Ownership

EDIT: I may have misspoke the above. It is unclear to me if the Expense Waiver would include mandatory emissions equipment or not. Check with your local referee.

Page 133 of the 1996 TLC EWD, item 5.
upload_2016-5-4_7-38-40.png

Last edited:
It'd be difficult to, after the fact, go back to the PO and have them fix this mess, if it even applies at all. Especially after the OP has tinkered with so many things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom