Leaking at cargo door ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2002 LX470 has a small leak at the hinge area for the lower cargo door.
Can't find any wetness anywhere else except along the bottom.
The rubber seals look like mint. My LX only has 25,000 miles on her.

Anyone have this problem and found a solution?

is it on the driver's side by chance? if so, your brake light seal may have rotted. they used a closed-cell foam gasket on the brake light that dries and deteriorates over time. try searching for that and there are a number of how-to's.

my rec is get a good PLASTIC razor/scraper and goof off (but be careful it will pull the red film off the inside of the housing so be careful with it. then i just re-sealed with silicone versus getting the OEM foam gasket.

but before you do that, make sure the sunroof rear drain lines are clear. you can use weed-eater line to do this.

Its pretty much all across. The screws are rusty which tells me it has gone on for some time.

Selection_515.resized.jpg

Pull those screws and look in the corners. Most likely you'll have water in the cavity / space that sits below the rear cargo area towards the rear.

Timeout....your 02 only has 25k miles?

Yes, I got her on Ebay and imported her from Santa Barbara, California to North Carolina.
24,930 when I took delivery.

it is the 3rd brake light. the red one not on the wing.

On my 2002 it looks like I will have to take off the Wind Deflector to get to the 3rd brake light - like in this photo ???

Selection_515.jpg

It's pretty much guaranteed that's where your leak is as @Bomar says, rain enters via the failed gasket and runs down the inside of the hatch's trim before dripping onto the carpet. Try the soap foam + pressure test to check.

the aforementioned soap and pressure test:

I've had success using foamed up soapy water from one of those foaming hand cleaner bottles to locate leaky seals. Close up your vehicle, fan blower on high and fresh air intake selected, this pressurizes your truck then slather soap foam around over your gaskets, seals etc. With some luck you'll find what you're looking for. Image of leak locating in my cargo compartment.View attachment 1007721

My vote is that it is the upper center brake light as well. The seal is less than ideal, and mine leaked last big snow we had.

on the "soap and pressure test": if fresh air intake/high fan, don't the 2 rear one way air flaps (located on the rear roof pillars) relieve the pressure?
Yes they relieve some pressure, but the cabin is still positive wrt the outside.

Ok I got it.

That explains why my rear vent window squeaks when I close a door w all windows closed. The compressed air after x years caused the mounting screws to strip out, allowing frame to briefly bulge out to relieve air pressure. I thought that my one way air flaps might be malfunctioning, and was going to check 'em.

I will verify, but will re-nut the vent window screws. You'd think that the flap design would have addressed this kind of transient pressure build up. Oh well.

Yep. Third brake light on mine was leaking. Revealed by soapy water and cranking the fan. Gasket on top was bad. Fixed with a bead of RTV silicone. No more leak. Can't even see the repair unless you're 7 feet tall.

Removing the wind deflector helps access to the light. Just lay a small bead of black rtv all the way around the base of the light. BTW, don't remove the light or be very careful if you do, they have a tendency to crack or break.

And 25k miles on an 02 Nice find.

I noticed dampness in my truck today after some heavy rain. The pressure test showed air coming from the third brake light and the chrome trim above the license plate. I didn't see any water trails or wetness anywhere but where cwmoser shows above and just don't understand. I resealed both up anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom