Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a pic of the '73 to '78 style. The shape is distinctly different. In all the stock I've seen, these are tan and the later ones are white...then again I don't have the best eyes for colors. Do you happen to have the label with the part #?

View attachment 1228446
That's exactly what I have. No part number but I compared my original ones and they are the exact same shape.

I have that exact same Vessel multi-bit driver - got through some Ebay listing for less than $10 , took awhile to get here but it's a great tool .
Do the later model visors help with the spot next to the A-pillar ? On my '77 , seems the sun always shines between the visor and that A-pillar when I'm going home after work...
Sarge

Okay @Racer65, here is a white iPhone charger against the tan colored visors... :)

image.jpeg

And decided to bling up the doors with some new stainless steel screws. They had a slightly bigger head but sure looks nice and no stripped heads! Need to paint so the rest of the door looks as good as the screws.
image.jpeg

Let's compare visors when we meet up next time. I'm being dense, but based on shape, it's the later visor, which cannot possibly be that color. Possibly the PO sprayed it, or it might even be a CCOT blade when they used to carry it.

FJ40 Sun Visor 1.JPG

Things have been quiet on the Cruiser. Driving and enjoying it. Will get together with a few cruiserheads tomorrow at the Blackhawk Cars and Coffee car show. Should be fun.

Did a long overdue project - my driver's side door swings wide open. The welds failed on the swing retainer or whatever it's called. I saw someone fabbed up a piece to use in place of the welded door setup. With my so-so welding skills I fabbed up the same setup and it works! Isn't pretty and I cut the hole in the door too big but it is functional. I need to clean things up and paint, but wanted to get the piece setup. I hate when I get tired and lazy and then just eyeball measurements - should've taken the time to have the bolts spaced evenly. Oh well, when the door is closed you don't see it... ;)

image.jpeg

Fantastic bunch of Cruisers!

(On a side note, am I the only one that sees a Chevy emblem on a Cruiser and shudders a bit? It's like seeing a really hot chick and then she smiles and has rotten teeth.)

That makes at least two of us.

His was a restomod - did a nice job on it but yeah not a fan of the Chevota logo. But happy he showed and his paint sure was shiny. The other three were more stockers. All but mine had power steering. I need to budget for my 75 to get @Racer65's power steering kit.

While I'm not an fan of engine conversions, the 60's vintage trucks like this one might be difficult to keep stock due to lack of parts. If the conversion gives the truck a new lease on life, where otherwise it might have been scrapped, then I'm all for it.

His was a restomod - did a nice job on it but yeah not a fan of the Chevota logo. But happy he showed and his paint sure was shiny. The other three were more stockers. All but mine had power steering. I need to budget for my 75 to get @Racer65's power steering kit.

While I'm not an fan of engine conversions, the 60's vintage trucks like this one might be difficult to keep stock due to lack of parts. If the conversion gives the truck a new lease on life, where otherwise it might have been scrapped, then I'm all for it.

Don't get me wrong, it looks gorgeous! And I'm glad for a well-cared-for Cruiser. I don't even mind engine swaps so much... It's an inevitability as the decades pass.

It's just the Chevy emblem... :hillbilly:

Decided to take the day off and work on the cruiser. Much needed therapy! I swapped the backs of the chairs and put on my nicer restored ones on the beige seats that are currently in the cruiser. Will refurb these and put them on the dark grey seats for the 75.

image.jpeg

Getting the rear jump seats all purdy - I welded up some small holes that were drilled in the bottoms and put a fresh coat of paint on them utilizing my fancy paint booth. Will hopefully get the cushions installed on Sunday.
image.jpeg

Too cheap to buy new twist locks since I'd rather not pay a bunch for shipping such a small item. So I grabbed some silver paint and called it a day.
image.jpeg

That's why I've got a SBC. Loved the 1.5F, but 3K+ wasn't in my budget when the stock motor died. No bow tie though... It's more of a sleeper. At the time, 3K would buy a nice 40 (1996) :D

Got the seats covered will install tomorrow. Well, only the driver's side as I have a small patch I need to weld in the tub. The fender was bulging on he inside so I cut it open and found the rust monster growing on the support under the fender. Treated it awhile ago but still have the hole there. Time to take that on!
image.jpeg

Okay need some advise before I start going crazy on this repair and make things worse. There was some bubbling under the jump seat support. Cut the fender and cleared out the bulge. But clearly there is more under there. The support is welded onto the fender with a couple of spot welds. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks!

image.jpg
image.jpeg

My truck has similar issues, that I have not gotten to yet. From all the rust I have fixed so far, I have learned that layered metal will always eventually rust in between. I have picked up some 3M panel bond, which I plan to use whenever possible rather than welding. I believe gluing layered panels together will fill the void area in between and will at least dramatically slow down the inevitable.

I have some similar issues, but much worse. Cut out the areas of rust and weld new patches in place. It is not that hard.

Got some good instructions on how to do the repair on the other thread I created. Will try and tackle this weekend.

Jumper seat under fender bracket rust repair help needed

Here is a shot of the driver side jump seat installed. Really liking the color! Oh and the refurbished metal panels on the chairs (from the grey chairs). And I also took the roll bar pads off and treated them with a very liberal dousing of 303 protectant. Soaked that stuff up like a sponge! Cleaned up the spider web nests behind the pads too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Decided to get a jump start on this tonight. Three spot welds held the bracket and the HF cutter worked perfectly. Now to clean up the rust and prep the metal for welding. I'm going to save as much of the original metal as I can and I may just fill the big hole and then use the drilled holes for the plug welds.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom