Buying a 2000 land cruiser with little service record (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4X4 *** Clean !! ***
Hi I'm new to this forum and feeling excited to join you guys. I'm look for a 100-serie right now. I found a 2000 lc with 180k miles sale for 6900. I went test drive it today and it's pretty smooth. However the owner doesn't have service record. I run the carfax and found only few service record availiable.
05/30/2000 Penn Toyota
Greenvale, NY
516-621-8600
penntoyota.com Vehicle serviced

08/03/2004 Jack Taylor's Alexandria Toyota
Alexandria, VA
703-684-0700
alexandriatoyota.com Pre-delivery inspection completed
Air filter replaced
Differential serviced
Exterior light bulb(s) replaced
Front brake pads replaced
Oil and filter changed
PCV valve replaced
Parking brake adjusted
Safety inspection performed
Serpentine belt replaced
Transfer case fluid flushed/changed
Wheel locks removed
Wiper(s) replaced
Emissions inspection performed
Emissions or safety inspection performed

12/26/2005 Jack Taylor's Alexandria Toyota
Alexandria, VA
703-684-0700
alexandriatoyota.com Vehicle serviced.

I wonder if it worth the price or I should keep looking?

here is pics

00e0e_4EOAcTqhbck_600x450.jpg

01212_aG7EZJVDUFd_600x450.jpg
00F0F_jK47Ljz3NpK_600x450.jpg
00F0F_jK47Ljz3NpK_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_4Q2WJd3pP6h_600x450.jpg

2000 LC for $6,900? Sounds like a pretty good deal.
If you like it, all the major components work but just need servicing, and no rust, I think its about as
cheap as you gonna find.

2000 LC for $6,900? Sounds like a pretty good deal.
If you like it, all the major components work but just need servicing, and no rust, I think its about as
cheap as you gonna find.
thanks for your advise. i will have a technician look at it on monday. ;)

My wife's 2000 LX has 290K and I wouldn't take $6900 or $7900 for it

It was in New York and Virginia before CALI. So im kind of concerning about that.

Skip it. Rusty sucks. I seen 100's as low as $4k but they were rusty and had 300k on them.

I bought a 2000 last November. Took me a month to find it, SoCal truck with 124k on it and detailed service history from new to about 2011. Since November all I have done is changed the oil and drove it home from Oregon to Wyoming, back to Oregon in April, down to King of the Hammers in February and to Boise once. All in all I logged nearly 7k on it over the winter and it has not missed a beat. Still running original timing belt as far as I know. I hauled a heavy rear bumper and trans + t-case in the back of it to Oregon in April, must have been 500+lbs in the back and I set the cruise at 82mph! :) I paid $11.5k and to me it was worth it.

Cheers

I wouldn't waste you time if it is a New York/Virginia vehicle 9.9/10 it is going to have rust issues. It was probably bought for half of that on an online auction and sent packing. If it was only on the east coast maybe 1 or 2 years it could be okay. With the age and mileage you need to factor in another 2 to 3k dollars in money that you could potentially end up spending on just service items if you were to purchase one with that age and mileage.
Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you are aware of what you might be getting into.

I concur with ponytl. I have been operating 80 and 100 series land cruisers in VA for years and I don't have any rust problems on my cruisers. A look under the body and at the chassis will identify whether there are any rust issues, and any competent mechanic can check for this, so I suggest that's what you do before running.

Thanks guys. will check it out on monday. if there is any rust issue. i will skip it.

I know to some of you Yankee types :) rust is just a fact of life and you deal with it...
BUT when you have the option of getting rust free vs exposed to road salt and harsh winters, I just don't see going looking for the trouble rust will always be... Must here keep these trucks long term and invest time and money into them...
my daddy use to always say "son you can't polish a turd" and that is exactly what you are dealing with when you encounter rust... we are dealing with the super rare... there are hundreds of these for sale on any given day... why not start with something clean... a solid foundation on top of that most of the time we are doing our own work... a simple project on a clean rust free truck can be less than an hour vs an all day affair...

For that price I'd definitely go over and crawl under it. Mine had less service records than that when I bought it and was a helluva lot more expensive; if it works out you can baseline it and will likely just be up to the normal price most of us pay. I'm down in southeast VA and rust isn't as much of a problem as I imagine it is in northern VA, lrowe_csp confirmed above though it definitely isn't like the northeast. I've seen my share of dealers who spray frames to sell the truck, so if it's all nice and black and you see overspray around/above frame rails etc., question it. Maybe it's just down here, happened to me a few times before I found mine though, I'd rather see some normal surface rust than see a sprayed underside.

Many great comments here. Living in the northeast my question is how long did it live in NY and where. There is a big difference in salt applied on roads from upstate NY and near the city. (Some people have designated winter vehicles up here)I would also check the engine bay for corrosion on bolts or other components. I have also seen a vehicle that was a southern vehicle in a house near the ocean that was rusty from salt spray.
Worth it to check out I think. What color is interior grey or tan?

No rust, no accidents, no body damage and good interior. Then it is a very good price.

But be aware, that even if you do your own mechanical work parts can ad up.
Steering wheel.
Seat repair.
All fluids.
Steering rack.
Wheel bearings.
Balancing.
Alignment.
Knuckles.
Front drive shafts.
Tires.
Propeller shafts.
Spider joints.
Brakes & rotors.
Brake master.
Spark plugs.
Radiator.
T. Belt & W. pump
D. Belt idlers & tensioner.
Fan cultch.
Ball joints.
T. Rod joints.
Various sensors & sending units.
Starter.
Transmission.
Exhaust.
T. body
Coils.
TPS.
ECU.
If you pay some to baseline it, it can run anywhere from $2 to $7k

Inspect, inspect, inspect.... Know what your getting into.

Last edited:
516 area code is long island. That means traffic. My rig came from long island my frame is pretty clean but have had aluminum steel corrosion problems as in valve cover bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom