Gauge cluster removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so with a sticky odo that refuses to turn over to the next thousand miles, I wanted to take the worm gear apart and all that to give it some fresh lube. However, the PO had one of those Cruiser Corp style dash covers installed that hug around the oem dash. This makes removal of the cluster interesting to say the least. Is there anyway to remove the gauge cluster without tearing off that dash cover? It's glued on there very snug so it would get absolutely destroyed if I tried removing it. Maybe I can just remove the dash first and then The cluster???

I've got one of these on my rig, but I removed the gauges before I put the dash cap on.
Actually, I removed the dash completely, applied the cover and reinstalled - and then reinstalled the gauge cluster as normal.

If the PO glued the dashcap on over the top of the gauge cluster - trapping it in place - that might be a tricky prospect. To remove the dash you need to get to a couple retaining nuts from underneath, one of which is behind the gauge cluster, the other two or accessed by taking the glovebox out. Not sure how you would get to it with gauges in place.

After looking at it and verifying in the fsm there's no way to remove the dash pad without removing the gauge cluster first. Argh!

Anyway to trim the front edge with an exacto or razor? Enough surgery to get the gauges out?

Kind of what I was thinking... I was trying to push the edging far enough out of the way to kind of slip the housing out but it's just not taking. Going to take me a little bit to work up enough courage to trim it! The PO put a lot of money into the interior which is all custom. That factory brown dash would not go with the look of it started poking through.

obligatory 'damn she looks good right now' pics. relevant picture is at the end

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

Have you removed the screws and tried? The edges of the cap aren't that deep and the bezel will drop a little, giving more clearance. Try a few tongue depressors to gently pry against the edges.

i gave that a try and started to crack the cover to the speedometer (you can see the screws are still off in the last pic). Somethings gonna have to give to allow that cluster out and either way, it didn't feel like a satisfying ending... I guess if that dash cover is only about $100 i may just have to yank it off and replace

Hijack alert! I'd like to see some more pics of that bad ass interior :D

appears the dash pad cap is going to have to be removed....you might take a dremel tool trim the area in way around the gauge cluster, but you also might screw up other things with that idea too. THe other part....if you put the cap on again the same way you'll have the exact same issue next time. You could potentially trim the edge of the dash cap to allow the cluster to come out and then find some of that stuff that is on your door sill to put back around the edge to make it look better, until potentially you might need to take the cluster off again.

That is a beautiful Cruiser! One of the best - hell, actually, the best interior I've seen. The thought of tearing into that makes me cringe.

Wow! That looks great man. Is that build on Mud anywhere? I'd like to see how it came together. Thanks for the pics!
Thanks! No it is not. It was built out in LA by some higher end custom car shop. All the mechanics were done by a mechanic at SOR.

That is a beautiful Cruiser! One of the best - hell, actually, the best interior I've seen. The thought of tearing into that makes me cringe.
Me too... It was a very comfortable drive back to Colorado when I bought it! s*** even the trimming on the seats match the exterior paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom