Builds Wheel In Luxury -a GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Baja designs is a great company! They really live up to the warranty on their stuff. Congrats on the RTT!!! what a score!

Had the windows tinted today. I think I made a mistake and went too dark. It's 15% on the front and 5% everything else (50% sunroof). I should have just done 15% all around. You can not see in at all, and its like driving at night looking out the back window during the day. Anyone locally want to trade windows? Lol

Wait till you are wheeling at night and have to back up along a cliff...

Tinting a wheeler that much is a bad idea IMHO.

It's not a Wheeler, it is more of a capable daily, that can be wheeled if needed. Yeah I'm not a fan. I'll probably be saving up to redo it at some point. I know this I'll never go past 15% again

Well today I added new accessory to the Lexus... I'll probably be switching it over to the 4runner soon as I'll be using that it for work. But for now it's on the the Lexus will make use of It
IMG_20160422_183634238_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160422_183647390.jpg
IMG_20160422_183715469.jpg
IMG_20160422_150604430_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160422_150547379.jpg

That looks great setup, did you bolt it right to the factory rack?

Had the windows tinted today. I think I made a mistake and went too dark. It's 15% on the front and 5% everything else (50% sunroof). I should have just done 15% all around. You can not see in at all, and its like driving at night looking out the back window during the day. Anyone locally want to trade windows? Lol
The entire windshield on my Infiniti is 20%. My Lexus windshield is 35% and the rest are 15%. Every time I drive the Lexus it feels like the windows aren't even tinted.

This week at work I learned how to weld aluminum, I still have some more to learn as its a very temperamental material, but I'm excited, and picking it up fast. Anyhow I think I'm gonna be making some things for the GX outta aluminum. I know I'm gonna make a roof rack for my 4runner out of aluminum, and I'm gonna make some skids for the GX. I'll probably also make the rack for my trailer out of it as well, just to keep weight down -increase payload, keep center of gravity as low as possible, ease of moving around(removal and installation), and I'll probably also make some water tanks for camping/cooking/drinking.

This week at work I learned how to weld aluminum, I still have some more to learn as its a very temperamental material, but I'm excited, and picking it up fast. Anyhow I think I'm gonna be making some things for the GX outta aluminum. I know I'm gonna make a roof rack for my 4runner out of aluminum, and I'm gonna make some skids for the GX. I'll probably also make the rack for my trailer out of it as well, just to keep weight down -increase payload, keep center of gravity as low as possible, ease of moving around(removal and installation), and I'll probably also make some water tanks for camping/cooking/drinking.

That is awesome. I was just wondering where to find someone with aluminum welding capability. I really want an aluminum frame that bolts into the rear seat mount locations (the 70/30 split rear, want to remove the 30) that I can mount my portable fridge to. Will likely also sketch out a drawer underneath or something to make use of the space. Once I have dimensions and a sketch, think you would be game to look it over and take on a welding project? I'd be happy to pay of course if I decide to go ahead with it. (removing seating is a significant other approval item :p)

Also, I've been shopping for rooftop tents recently. I stopped in at CVT and like the Shasta and the rainier, but also wanted to look at 23 zero. Any chance I could bring you a six pack and let me and my lady crawl into your RTT sometime when schedules align?

That is awesome. I was just wondering where to find someone with aluminum welding capability. I really want an aluminum frame that bolts into the rear seat mount locations (the 70/30 split rear, want to remove the 30) that I can mount my portable fridge to. Will likely also sketch out a drawer underneath or something to make use of the space. Once I have dimensions and a sketch, think you would be game to look it over and take on a welding project? I'd be happy to pay of course if I decide to go ahead with it. (removing seating is a significant other approval item :p)

Also, I've been shopping for rooftop tents recently. I stopped in at CVT and like the Shasta and the rainier, but also wanted to look at 23 zero. Any chance I could bring you a six pack and let me and my lady crawl into your RTT sometime when schedules align?

I probably am not in a position to take on side work, as I don't actually own a welder, my company supplys them, and they are all in our shop. I don't really think I can bring in side work. I could ask and maybe use my rig as a template... but idk.

I'm sure we can work something out on the RTT. I love my 23zero, I ant wait to use it for fun family camping. I can see the family doing a lot of camping this summer.

welp i took the rig into the body shop today to get the damage documented and sent off to the insurance co. they are booked out until the 18th of july... bummer, oh well. but yeah im gonna get that taken care of as fast as possible. i got put on a cancellation list so if someone backs out i can jump ahead and get in sooner.

i bought a yakima rack system for the 4runner and transferred the tent over to it, so it is back to DD home status now. it was always the intent to put the tent on the 4runner, but as the 4runners rack was weaker, and older i didnt trust it to hold the weight, so it went on the GX for the time. next year ill probably buy another tent for the lexus and redo its rack system.

Well I got a call yesterday morning from Lexus and my dashboard is in... So Monday morning it goes in to have that replaced. Then Tuesday it goes to the body shop and gets the side repaired. I can't wait to have this back.

Last edited:
The rig should be back from the body shop some time this week, I can't wait. I also picked up another full set of FJC wheels like what I'm currently running. I plan on keeping three of them for my trailer not sure yet what I'm gonna do with the other two, who knows maybe I'll find another trailer or just sell them.

So I got the GX back this afternoon, and I'm not impressed one bit. The wheels are fxxxed up, they machined both fronts instead of the passenger side, and not only that but machining down the surface of the wheel weakens the wheel and that's a no go. Also the fit and finish of the bumper is not straight and the paint is not done well... I'm not happy and Monday it will be going back.

Well I got my trailer brake controller hooked up today. It's funny how everytime you do something or finish a new mod, you just can't wait to use it... I want to go to a big trailer lol

Tonight I went to napa auto parts a d bought two h8/h11 pig tail sockets and two h8 bulbs and upgraded my reverse lights. Its a little better, but the tent is still super dark at night. But I'm getting used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom