Darien Gap Jungle Expedition (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know what you mean, spent 5 weeks out in the bush when I first got to PNG and learned to appreciate PNG "bully beef", (some kind of locally produced corned beef). Normally I can't stand the stuff, way too salty, but man, out in the bush/jungle for days on end when the temp never seems to get below 100 F, it sure hits the spot, especially with a boiled kaukau (sweet potato).

Is the Clorox for water treatment? I like to use PurTabs, they are very light and easy to carry, plus I can drop one into a full 2 liter canteen and know that it will most likely be safe to drink. Doesn't taste too good, but again, when you need the water, it tastes great!

This trip is seriously coming together.

It's exciting! All good wishes to you!
I know what you mean, spent 5 weeks out in the bush when I first got to PNG and learned to appreciate PNG "bully beef", (some kind of locally produced corned beef). Normally I can't stand the stuff, way too salty, but man, out in the bush/jungle for days on end when the temp never seems to get below 100 F, it sure hits the spot, especially with a boiled kaukau (sweet potato).

Is the Clorox for water treatment? I like to use PurTabs, they are very light and easy to carry, plus I can drop one into a full 2 liter canteen and know that it will most likely be safe to drink. Doesn't taste too good, but again, when you need the water, it tastes great!
i have a water filtration system that should make water safe and drinkable, but the bleach will be added for safe measure. A healthy crew moves a lot faster than a sick one..

image.jpeg

Pulling off the old one!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_3299.JPG

New LED headlights

32" tires? I think you guys are crazy. This is not crossing baren australia. Its like crossing lousiana mud for 100s of miles. I would want something that would eat a camel trophy rover for breakfast. I would want something I could sleep in in the back because the roof top tents will probably not last long before they get shredded and its harder for snakes n bugs to slither into a sealed cab. I would want a gas motor thats light like a 4.0 toyota v6 with around 300hp and some 38 skinny boggers or sx's so you can get a fair amount of wheel speed. Maybe just foam filled tractor tires. I would probably do a 4th gen 4runner with 80 axles and simple yet indestructible suspension. The 4.0 has power, a sealed timing chain, and a single drive belt for the accesories, and the truck itself is light and roomy. And I would put dual motors on the 8274 for monster pulling. Heavy Chicken wire or metal grate all the windows. 3" body lift with armor everywhere and flat bottomed underneath. Cut front fenders like crazy and cut n tub the rear and keep it very low cog. fj80 axles with 32 spline axles, birfields, and rear pinion from nitro. 100-110" wheel base. 0 degree departure and approach angles. And would have about 8 trucks all built the same. More KOH mixed with camel trophy. I still think its too dangerous because of all the weird people you could encounter, I just have no desire to mess with that, or put others in a postion to mess with that. It sounds like its like wheeling in lousiana mud, but Isis type people could be hiding in the woods to shoot the whole lot of you and take your stuff and no one would know what ever even happened to you. I mean, record books are cool and all, but not if your dead. Instead drive accross the amazon or africa or alaska or russia or something-and would be just as much of an adventure. Just as much fun, and much better chance of not being dead. It takes a big man to think things through and back away. Life is precious man, be careful how you use it and the lives of others. Their are some worthy causes worth dying for, trying to trek accross a jungle where crazies live is not.
Please take a look at the tires that Mark Smith ran in 79 who made it in 30 days. They weren't "swamp" tires. The Gap isn't all swamp, and it's also an "El Nino" year which is a drought period. Uphill traction in thin mud will be king. I respect the experience and deep knowledge of Mark Smith, and plan to follow suit. I do appreciate your input. It does make one think more deeply about variables. Thank you for that. Allen.

image.png
The man is an off road God INMHO.

image.png

Semper Fi sir. Semiper Fi.

image.jpeg
LEDs in! (Finally) repinning and rewiring was a bit of a pain...

image.jpeg
The old 9000 lb winch and the 10" Light Force lights are for sale. Check under the For Sale section if interested...

Last edited:
The TV documentary proposal has been sent out. Hope to see interest in our expedition!

IMG_9727.JPG

My new Rally Bumper is out of fabrication and on it's way to the powder coating booth. Gonna look very sweet...

Message to my personal trainer. Made me laugh hours later... Was in too much pain to laugh when it occurred...

image.png

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
GSMTR was awesome!

There are some big updates to the expedition.
An LLC is being set up for the expedition. Darien Gap, LLC will be the name for it moving forward. The documentary potential is moving forward rapidly, and the idea for a Darien Gap TV documentary has been put in front of an executive producer. There should be feedback on this within the next week or two. The expedition is planning on retaining a TV entertainment law firm in NYC in the next week or so. If and when a cable TV contract is signed, things will immediately fast track. Viability will peak, and sponsors will hopefully want to get on board due to the obvious exposure. The plan will be for filming to begin with trips to meet government officials in both countries, and the expedition build of the vehicle(s).
As one driver has dropped out, the call is going back out to any other interested drivers with mid 1980's 70 series Toyota Landcruiser BJs. If interested, please message me directly. Interested drivers must be willing to sign on as members of the LLC, and willingly sign onto a cable TV contract, in all that it entails, which is not always what is expected or wanted. We will all have to make concessions moving forward.
The expedition will be an unpaid adventure. However, GoFundMe, and Kickstarter accounts will be set up shortly, and monies from those as well as sponsor dollars will be placed into the LLC to begin procurement of needed legal representation, equipment, and travel expenses to both Panama and Colombia in the coming weeks and months to get our permissions.
That's it for now, I will be happy to answer any questions in message form for interested individuals.

Last edited:
www.gofundme.com/2767ry84
I have been asked multiple times by readers of this expedition string if there was a venue where donations can be made. I have set up a GoFundMe account specifically for this. This funding will finance all aspects of the expedition, and we are very grateful to receive any and all support possible. Please check out the link for more expedition details on this amazing adventure! Thank you.

Very cool trip! I have an '81 Canadian market BJ42 fully locked with lift, 8000lb winch on 35's. Sadly not a 70 series but would easily keep up with the pack

Very cool trip! I have an '81 Canadian market BJ42 fully locked with lift, 8000lb winch on 35's. Sadly not a 70 series but would easily keep up with the pack
We may have a 74 dropping out, so I wouldn't say it's not a possibility, however spare parts might quickly become an issue as where we'd be all sharing the load among us all for parts, you'd pretty much be on your own, which isn't a very nice thought... Let discuss off line! Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom