'81 and older emissions exempt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would be convenient for me, even though I am fully compliant with my '78 350 conversion. Was quite an effort to get there though. Thanks for the heads up.

it's '75 and older. I'd love to see the change but I think pigs will fly first. It was originally supposed to be a rolling 25 year calendar and politicians put a stop to that. As long as Moonbeam Jerry is Governor it'll never make it past his desk.

It's true! SB1239

This bill bill, until January 1, 2019, would also exempt from the biennial smog check inspections all motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1981after the 1976 model year from the biennial smog-check inspections. but prior to the 1981 model year if the owner submits proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle.

Looks like I would have to insure my '77 as a "collector motor vehicle", whatever that means. Should be easier and hopefully cheaper than trying to get it to pass smog every couple of years.

I just spent a ton of time and money acquiring all the smog components for this cruiser, but hopefully this passes and I never have to take it to a smog station ever again!

FYI - "Collector vehicle" or "Antique vehicle" or "Classic vehicle" in most states means "Parade/Car Show Use Only." That's how it has worked in both MD and DE for me. They give you a special license plate that identifies your car as "historic" or "antique." Technically, if a cop sees you out tooling around in it and you're not at a car show or in a parade, they can pull you over and fine you. It's kind of like a "farm vehicle" tag...

Anyway, in 3 years of weekend driving my FJ40 around town, in 2 states, with historic tags, I have yet to have a police officer pull me over for "illegally driving my historic vehicle on roads." My story, if I ever DO get pulled over, is that I'm on my way to a car show, or I'm on my way to get it tuned up in preparation for a car show, etc. I have heard, technically, that even that excuse might not fly, as you're supposed to trailer it...If they really want to be a hardass about it, I'll pay my fine and move on with life...

Unless you have a Mall Crawler, collector car insurance WILL NOT cover damage to the vehicle if you use it off road. This 'bill' is a red herring for off road vehicle users.

Subpart c, paragraph 3 says it will only eliminate the sniff test, you'll still have to get it "smogged".

(c) For purposes of subdivision (a), a collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259 of the Vehicle Code, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.
(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years model years old.
(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle’s class and model year, as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.

You could disable all the equipment and gut the air pump, and it would be 'desmogged', but you can't take it off and you can't do an engine swap any easier, I wouldn't think. Worst is that you can't upgrade it to more-efficient, cleaner fuel injection.

And this PITA subpart d says they have to renew it in two years.

(d) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2019, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2019, deletes or extends that date.

Mine both pass. The joke's on them.

^^^Yep, still a red herring.

Anyone with money in his pocket is a target for the kalifornia gov. If this was to pass, and I don't think it will, you can bet the powers that be will not side on freedom or liberty. We will pay one way or another.

The problem is some poor SOB that only reads headlines and not the actual law will go rip out all his smog equipment or throw in an engine swap only to be grievously disappointed when he gets caught. :mad:

As owner of an '80 in Kali, I eagerly await the outcome. I would not consider ripping out my smog equipment. As stated above, the proposed law is not perpetual.

It's hard to understand why a bill like this would not pass, or why it would even be controversial. It makes perfect sense. The half percent old car hobbyist have no chance of harming the environment. It's the throw-away culture / buy a new car every 5 years majority that requires regulation due to the environmental impact.

Last edited:
Date Action
04/26/16 May 2 set for first hearing canceled at the request of author.
04/26/16 From committee with author's amendments. Read second time and amended. Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
04/22/16 Set for hearing May 2.
04/20/16 From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 6. Noes 5. Page 3616.) (April 19). Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
04/14/16 Set for hearing April 19.
04/13/16 April 12 hearing: Testimony taken. Hearing postponed by committee.
03/24/16 Set for hearing April 12.
03/03/16 Referred to Com. on T. & H.
02/19/16 From printer. May be acted upon on or after March 20.
02/18/16 Introduced. Read first time. To Com. on RLS. for assignment. To print.

Looks like the hearing was canceled anyways?

I've lived here since '69 and outside of the natural beauty and recreation the state has to offer, it has few other redeeming qualities. Everyone here thinks they know what's best for you, because you can't manage your own life.

I've lived here since '69 and outside of the natural beauty and recreation the state has to offer, it has few other redeeming qualities. Everyone here thinks they know what's best for you, because you can't manage your own life.

I hear ya. Been there since 1979, a lot has changed since then.

Back to the topic of the thread, this is why clean, titled frames bring $1,000 or more.

Anyone with money in his pocket is a target for the kalifornia gov. If this was to pass, and I don't think it will, you can bet the powers that be will not side on freedom or liberty. We will pay one way or another.

"legalized stealing", by the gobernment... :bang:

As owner of an '80 in Kali, I eagerly await the outcome. I would not consider ripping out my smog equipment. As stated above, the proposed law is not perpetual.

It's hard to understand why a bill like this would not pass, or why it would even be controversial. It makes perfect sense. The half percent old car hobbyist have no chance of harming the environment. It's the throw-away culture / buy a new car every 5 years majority that requires regulation due to the environmental impact.

^^^^ THIS

I read an article somewhere comparing a 56 Chevy Bel Air's Carbon Footprint (from component production to recycling of the dead car) as compared to the production of a Nissan Leaf electric car (or some other electric car).

When you factor in the strip-mining of lithium for the battery, the entirely plastic body that will never biodegrade, factory emissions making the car compoents, etc. the carbon footprint/environmental damage caused by a Nissan leaf is almost double that of producing an (all steel) Bel Air, driving it for 10 years, and dumping it for scrap steel - BEFORE IT EVEN DRIVES A SINGLE MILE.

Zero emissions once it's produced, but the environmental impact of production (especially lithium mining) is something that the environazis like the overlook in their "green" initiatives.

In a show of solidarity, I'm going to head out to the hardware/grocery store in my classic tagged/illegal to drive/emissionless 75 Land Cruiser with a 67 engine in it. Because even though Maryland is run by a bunch of gun-grabbing, hippy lunatics, at least it isn't California. :flipoff2:

-EDIT-

Ok, I found a video that sums it up - turns out my numbers above might be exaggerated, but the take home message is the same:

Are Electric Cars Really Green?

Well, in about seven weeks I'm going to be putting my carbon footprint all over the Sierra Nevada! And I'm going to be smiling ear to ear as every little carbon atom is released!
Just sign me - Sensible, but too old to give a rip about the over-the-top political crap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom